Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657

Thread: Oscar's Cinema Journal 2005

I saw some of those, but not others. But you didn't answer my question -- which is okay!

Anyway is it possible 2005 wasn't as good a documentary year, or is it just me?
    I meant compared to 2004, where I found more really gooid ones.

*THE WILD PARROTS OF TELEGRAPH HILL
    MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION: FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT'S LEGACY IN JAPAN
    *GUNNER PLACE
    THE UNTOLD STORY OF EMMET LOUIS TILL
    CINEVARDAPHOTO (Agnes Varda)
    ROCK SCHOOL
    WE JAM ECONO:THE STORY OF THE MINUTEMEN
    *ENRON:THE SMARTEST GUYS IN THE ROOM
    THE PROTOCOLS OF ZION
    THE WHITE DIAMOND (Herzog)
    CHAIN (Jem Cohen)
    *WILLIAM EGGLESTON IN THE REAL WORLD

*Seen

I found Williman Eggleston very interesting to me personally, loved watching him shoot photos, but not that great as a documentary. another one about the same to me was Be Here to Love Me: a Film About Townes Van Zandt. Interesting (not quite as much, because I'm more interested in photogrpahy than songwriting--except that the Bob Dylan movie is important and terrific as you'd expect, coming from a brilliant filmmaker lke Scorsese).

To be more specific, I don't think I've seen enough of 2005's well-received docs to form a solid opinion. There's one I didn't mention which aired on the BBC in 2002 and got released in NYC theatres last summer. It's called The Century of the Self and it got uniformy excellent reviews. Not on dvd yet. But my fave doc of the year is out on dvd. I'm excited about a second viewing.

I'm usually reluctant to generalize and make lists and stuff when I've missed so many films, particularly docs.

The Century of the Self was showing in NYC but I didn't make it to it. I could have seen more docs but I feel there were not as many this year as last that were attracrtive.

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657