Thread: It's A Man's World

It's A Man's World

Everything has been so serious lately, this one’s just for fun…

I was watching my restored special edition of “Lawrence of Arabia” and realized there was not one woman in the entire film (unless you count the background). Then it made me think about other films of prominence that had all male casts… Master and Commander and 12 Angry Men immediately come to mind. Then I went blank.

Surely there are other manly pictures out there with all male casts, made by men for men. Since this is a manly site, I was certain my male counterparts here had a manly picture they enjoyed watching that made them feel the testosterone surge. Especially when you’ve been hounded by a wife or girlfriend, and you’re seeking solace in the fact there are men out there content to be without women, for a while at least.

Can you name a favorite “man’s” picture you enjoy?

Grand Illusion, Jean Renoir's drama about POWs in a German camp, probably fits the bill. The German widow the two escapees encounter right before the film's conclusion is the only female character. I recommend it to everybody.

The last detail is mostly men (save for the hookers of course). Thats a good "man flick"...

funny genre

Grand Illusion happened to remind me of The Great Escape. I don't recall a single woman in that film.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

Glengarry Glen Ross - Film adaptation of the Mamet play, it's a story about the dog-eat-dog world of real estate telemarketing. Alec Baldwin's testosterone-fueled bitching out of the guys (not in Mamet's original play, by the way) is the manic highlight of the film - "You may be a good husband to your wife, you may be a good father to your kids, well FUCK YOU!".

Dr. Strangelove - Only woman I remember seeing was George C. Scott's "personal" secretary. This is a movie about men; the world is run by men, strong men, and they're about to blow it all to pieces.

Escape from Alcatraz... any women in that one?

"Apocolypse Now" - No females (at least in original version) except for the Playboy bunnies at the G.I. event. War films maybe should be disallowed here in this category, though Apocolypse Now isn't completely just a war film.

I just found another one in researching Howard Hughes... Ice Station Zebra... totally male!

Claire Denis's Beau Travail, a painfully beautiful film on and about Men, made by a Woman.

Lord of the Flies ... archaic?!?

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Director's Cut

Get some rotgut at your local liquor store.
    (Jack Daniels- a mickey is no good- get the 40 ouncer).
    This is sippin' whiskey. Do as your told.

Grab an old Merle Haggard album and listen to both sides.
    Light a Cohiba #1.
    Throw on some Marty Robbins.
    Throw on the DVD when the mood hits you, but you aren't gonna get a better outlet for pent up male agression.

"Where's Bill Carson?"
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd