Thread: Santa Barbara International Film Festival

Santa Barbara International Film Festival

The SBIFF is about to start and I'm hoping to catch as many films as I can manage. I haven't had time to research the films thoroughly yet, but there are three on my list I hope to see so far:

Dave Barry’s Complete Guide to Guys (World Premiere)
    American comic personality Dave Barry takes on guys in this hilarious film based on his best selling book of the same name. Beginning in prehistoric cave days, we travel through time to probe the vast mystery of guyness, moving past such foibles as leaving the toilet seat up and not asking for directions, and delving into guys' obsession with sports, electronic devices, sleek cars, ultimate tool kits, and, of course, the body part that controls their every thought and move. The cast includes John Cleese, Dan Marino, and Dave Barry himself.

Dust to Glory (World Premiere)
    Each year fans and glory-seekers flock to Mexico for an infamous off-road race covering 1,000 miles of unforgiving territory. From Santa Barbara's own Dana Brown (Step into Liquid), Dust to Glory is the story of the Baja 1000-the madness and the mayhem.

Dark Water
    A mother and her six-year-old daughter move into a creepy apartment whose every surface is permeated by water.

I'd like to see Alone Across Australia, but I'd have to take off work and not sure if it's worth it.

If anyone wants to check it out and recommend (or warn) me about any of the movies, I always appreciate your comments. The ones during the day on weekdays would require me to take off work, and I've only done that once...to see The Tracker.

Here's the website for the event: SBIFF Website

Or if you want to jump straight to the Movie Listing

My taste may differ from yours Andrew, but for what is worth these are the ones I wouldn't want to miss:

FRANK BORZAGE RETRO
    THE BIG RED ONE
    HEAD ON
    KEYS TO THE HOUSE
    PORCO ROSSO
    VOCES INOCENTES
    THE WORLD

Thanks for the tips...I'll definitely take them under consideration when I make my choices.

I did see the original 'The Big Red One' in the theater and it would be interesting to see the re-release with the additional footage. I haven't heard of the others, but I will look into them. A lot of it depends on what I can fit into my schedule. I hope to see as many as possible.

Last year I only made it to a couple of films, but the year before I saw about 10. They were showing a bunch of surf docs that year and I saw as many as I could (along with a few other movies).

Pretty good selection. From the list I've talked about A Talking Picture, Cronicas, Hari Om, Kontroll, and Head On on this site (most of these I saw at Toronto film fest). Perhaps something you might wanna look at if you have time. Head On is certainly my favorite among them, although, you wouldn't waste your time with others except maybe Hari Om, which I didn't like very much.

Head On / B+
    Cronicas / B
    Kontroll / B
    A Talking Picture / B-
    Hari Om / C-
    Last edited by arsaib4; 01-26-2005 at 11:20 PM.

My take:

priority......................
    -- Downfall, The
    -- Head On
    -- Voces Inocentes
    -- Keys to the House
    -- World, The
    -- Kontroll
    -- Punto y Raya
    -- Big Red One, The: The Reconstruction
    -- 5 x 2

have some fun.........