Thread: Academy Awards

Academy Awards

I just watched The Aviator last night which is starting to get me close to seeing most of the nominees for the main categories. I still need to see Ray when it comes out on Tuesday and a few others, but here are my current picks based on what I've seen so far:

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio in "The Aviator". Eastwood and Depp were both really good, but a step below. Paul Giamatti and Jim Carrey should have been nominated over Depp and Eastwood and Paul would be my personal choice for best actor. (Haven't seen Ray or Hotel Rwanda yet)

Supporting Actor: Thomas Haden Church in "Sideways". Freeman was good as always. Foxx was good too, but it really should be a starring role. Alda had no business being nominated...he was barely in the movie and nothing special about his role. (Haven't seen Closer yet)

Actress: Hilary Swank in "Million Dollar Baby" with Catalina Sandino Moreno in "Maria Full of Grace" an extremely close second. Kate Winslet was really good in ESOTSM, but not quite as outstanding as the other two. (Haven't seen Vera Drake or Being Julia yet)

Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett in "The Aviator"...did an excellent portraying Kate Hepburn...I think Cate is one of the best actresses working today and I'm always extremely impressed with her performances. Madsen was good in Sideways. (I haven't seen Hotel Rwanda, Closer, or Kinsey yet)

Director: Alexander Payne (Sideways) with Eastwood a close second and Marty just below. (haven't seen Vera Drake or Ray yet)

Picture: Million Dollar Baby with Sideways a close second. Aviator a small step below. Finding Neverland good, but not best film worthy. Eternal Sunshine should definitely be on the list. And I'm still waiting to see Ray when it comes out next week.

While there are a few I disagree with, mostly I don't think there are TOOmany glaring mistakes in the nominees. The first is Paul Giamatti missing for Best Actor. Then second I think is Alan Alda for supporting actor. His performance was fine, but minimal and not that significant. I'm not even sure who should replace him, just that his performance wasn't worthy of a nomination. Personally I would have liked to see Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind and Jim Carrey replace Finding Neverland and Depp, but I don't think either would (or should) win the category.

I look forward to trying to see as many of the other nominees as possible before the Oscars. I'll for sure see Ray when it comes out on DVD on Tuesday and Hotel Rwanda is high on my list.
    Last edited by SinjinSB; 01-27-2005 at 11:35 AM.

A quick update on my personal picks for Best Actor 2004:

1) Don Cheadle - Hotel Rwanda
    2) Paul Giamatti - Sideways (not nominated)
    3) Jamie Foxx - Ray
    4) Leonardo DiCaprio - The Aviator
    5) Jim Carrey - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (not nomidated)
    6) Gael García Bernal - The Motorcycle Diaries (not nominated)
    7) Clint Eastwood - Million Dollar Baby
    8) Johnny Depp - Finding Neverland

The top 5-6 are pretty solid based on the movies I've seen so far.