Thread: Comparing these two movies ...

Comparing these two movies ...

Have you watched the Million Dollar Baby (MDB)?

If NO, PLEASE SKIP ...

* MAJOR SPOILER *

Ok, now that I have warned the readers, I guess you CAN guess the other movie I am going to list. Yes, it is The Sea Inside (TSI). Well, TSI is not considered a spoiler because it has been marketed as a movie inspired by a real event in Spain about euthanasia. Well, I have read some reviews/forums. Let's be the devil advocate here. There seems to be a lot of bashing on The Sea Inside, merely because of its topic "euthanasia", and its fight for the right to "die with dignity", but there is less bashing (if any at all) for Million Dollar Baby. Instead, most people are more touched than angry by Million Dollar Baby.

My questions are a few, but in essence, what are your take on these two movies?

(i) Do you like MDB or TSI better?
    (ii) Which is more touching?
    (iii) Do you think MDB would have done as well if people knew the "twist" (if at all) about the movie?
    (sidetrack: TSI was only screened for 1 week over here; and I think 2 weeks in SF)
    (iv) Do you think TSI is bashed because the protagonist asked for the "right" to "die with dignity", whereas there was "less" push at the audience in MDB?
    (v) Do you think the fact that it is based on a true story (TSI) or a book/"fiction" (MDB) make the difference?
    (vi) Do you think Clint is the one that makes the difference? because people simply like/respect Clint (whereas the Spanish cast is less known in US)?

any other comments?!

Against The Ropes and MDB

I think a better film comparison would be Meg Ryan "Against The Ropes" (2004) and Clint Eastwood "Million Dollar Baby." While I haven't seen MDB, I am suprised how Against The Ropes was not even mentioned as a contender in light of how daring this movie was in depicting a more controversial true life female character that entered a male dominated field of boxing. It's always surprising how such omissions occur in this industry.

Re: Against The Ropes and MDB

Originally posted by tabuno
    I think a better film comparison would be Meg Ryan "Against The Ropes" (2004) and Clint Eastwood "Million Dollar Baby." While I haven't seen MDB, ...
    Hi tabuno,

Have you finally watched MDB? If no, you may not understand why I choose to compare it with TSI rather than ATR.

(i) Basically, most people were touched (if any) by MDB ONLY because of the LAST 30 min of the movie (or so called the "plot twist"). Without the last 30 min, I think the movie will not even be remembered.

(ii) I chose MDB and TSI because they are films in competition this year. And to be honest, I have many religious friends who are BASHING TSI, and yet they like MDB. So, I was wondering if it has to do with the cast (i.e., they like Clint, Morgan, etc) or the portrayal and the marketing (i.e., selling it as a BOXING film and fighting AGAINST ALL ODDS film) ... etc
    Last edited by hengcs; 02-25-2005 at 10:55 AM.

General Observation About Morality

My wife heard from her sister who saw Millon Dollar Baby about the supposedly big twist at the ending of the movie.

[Spoiler]

I find it interesting that the issue of the right to die makes for Oscar-worthy commentary. Like homosexuality, such controversial topics make for more dramatic results...however, performance acting isn't always about the topic or the overly dramatic...it also depends heavily on subtlety and acting. Acting and dramatic cinematography is why I enjoyed Lost in Translation so much. It's hard to separate out A Beautiful Mind (schizophrenia), Forrest Gump (borderline intellectual), Rain Man (autistism) best picture Oscars or best Oscar winners (all men) Roberto Benigni in Life is Beautiful (Nazi prison camp), Geoffrey Rush in Shine (mental illness), Nicolas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas (alcohol), Daniel Day Lewis (cerebral palsy); Jack Nicholson in One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (mental institution), and one that I remember most poignantly is Cliff Robertson in Charly. I still contend that comedy is much more difficult than these dramatic performances.