Page 17 of 71 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: the LAST FILM YOU'VE SEEN thread

Burden of Dreams (1982) - Les Blank

Well some people like the documentary more than the film, I for one can't agree. What makes Herzog interesting is his hipnotic quality, which is lacking in this documentary. This seems more like a companion piece making of. The subject of the making of Fitzcarraldo is an interesting enough story, and that's what gives the film any significance. The DVD is great, if for nothing else the inclusion of Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe, which in my opinion is a more interesting documentary.

The documentary is quite good, but you're right "Fitzcarraldo" is better.

I also love "My Best Fiend" which I saw at film festival while living in Portland. My favorite part is when Werner Herzog speaking in a voiceover reveals that he and Klaus Kinski both simultaneously hatched plots to murder one another. The monotone, de facto way in which it is said just kills me.

"Little Dieter needs to Fly" is also quite interesting for those on a documentary binge.

Marathon Man (1976) - John Schlessinger

My fourth Schlessinger film, and similar to Midnight Cowboy in it's seedy contempt for New York City. This film is a little more entertaining, but still full of difficult scenes to watch. This film is known more for its dentistry than any of its plot, and honestly I don't even remember what Roy Scheider's character actually did. From what I've heard, this is the first feature film to use a steadicam, which makes it more significant than drilling teeth.

Perhaps the plot might have been thin, but it's pacing is fantastic, and all performances are great. Granted I really don't like William Devane in anything, he has a poor man's Jack Nicholson without the talent smirk about him. Olivier and Hoffman though are enough to carry the film, and they do. All in all I enjoyed the film, more than most.

I think Scheider was Hoffman's brother or brother-in-law or something. I remember he is more "streetwise" than Hoffman. Devane is only good as a Kennedy.

Carandiru (2003) - Hector Babenco

A great "return to form" so to speak from Babenco. Another somewhat exploitative Brazllian film, but a great one nevertheless. The action moves along well, because we get a sampling of numerous characters, all of which seem to get the appropriate amount of backstory, letting us all equally identify. Certainly a great film to watch in the wake of City of God.

What Time Is It There? (2000) - Tsai Ming-Liang

Well this is the first film I've seen from this director, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Very quiet film, and I'm not really sure what the hell it was about. I did like the subtlety of it, and I have Vive L'Amour to watch as well, so I'll hold off on my opinion, hoping that another film might give me a better perspective.

In order to truly appreciate a Tsai film, viewers almost has to measure and ritualize their habits, a little like what Tsai does with his narratives. I mean you can't just throw in a Tsai film after something else. All of his films deal with Alienation in one form or another. Demanding? Absolutely. But to me there's no other filmmaker in the world today who's more rewarding than Tsai. Same actors, similar set-ups, wistful melancholy and droll humor (at the start it took me a couple of viewings of his films to realize that), shot composition as gorgeous as anything Antonioni did, although, camera placement/movement is more Hou. Pacing shouldn't be a problem for you since you've seen enough films. It's not easy to pick his best, but last year's Goodbye Dragon Inn stands out for me. Hold off on it though, until you've seen a couple of others.

Vive L'Amour was the first film I saw of Tsai Ming-Liang's and it's probably still my favourite, having said that though, I still haven't seen Goodbye Dragon Inn. I'm sure you'll appreciate his films wpqx.
    The more I learn the less I know.

Diary of a Chambermaid (1964) - Luis Bunuel

Somewhat overlooked film from Bunuel's best era. The film fits well into Bunuel's filmography, and certainly recalls earlier films like El Bruto, and the later Discreet Charm. I do however agree that it is secondary compared to the films preceding it and following it, but still worth a watch.

My favorite Bunuel is either "Exterminating Angel" or "Death in the Garden".

Originally posted by wpqx
    Diary of a Chambermaid (1964) - Luis Bunuel

I do however agree that it is secondary compared to the films preceding it and following it, but still worth a watch.
    Good point. I do believe that his Mexican work is still somewhat underrated. Los Olvidados remains my favorite from him.

Hard to select a favorite, but if forced at gunpoint I'd probably give my vote to the Exterminating Angel.

Martha (1973) - Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Fassbinder is somewhat hit or miss, considering just how many films he made. This one I consider a miss. It is difficult to watch because it is a very negative film. I find cruelty difficult, and certainly Helmut was cruel here. As typical of Fassbinder, the camerawork seems to be the star of the show, so visually the film is still worth a look. Can't really recommend it, but like any extremely prolific director, it is best to see what you can, because everyone has their favorites.

Kicking & Screaming

Will Ferrell's sensitive-turned-hyper soccer dad gets tired midway through this middling family comedy, directed with no real sense of timing by Jesse Dylan (one of Bob's kids). It has a good supporting cast (Robert Duvall and an agreeable Mike Ditka) and some good moments (Ferrell's describing Ditka's coaching responsibility as being the "juice box guy" is priceless) but the film never takes a chance on anything--it's as if the subject matter is inhibiting in and of itself.

Originally posted by stevetseitz
    My favorite Bunuel is either "Exterminating Angel" or "Death in the Garden".
    "Belle de jour" is an almost perfect marriage of director and performer. Bunuel and Deneuve relate in a seamless harmony I'm not sure I can compare to any other working film relationship, even Dietrich and von Sternberg.

Lords of Dogtown (2005) - Catherine Hardwicke

Got to the theater twice in a week, I'm getting impressive. The film wasn't entirely bad, but not really good. Mediocre and forgettable, at least in my opinion. Made a few more comments under the thread on that film, so for further analysis look there.

Bridget Jones's Diary (2001) - Sharon Maguire

Well a miniature fest of women directors last night, this film was a little more enjoyable, and perhaps a little more predictable. The film had it's humor, and a little sappy and romantic (which I always love). Of the two, I'd have to say this was the better film. Wasn't overly impressed with Renee Zellwegger's performance though. She might have been charming, but well accents don't make great actors.

Page 17 of 71 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast