Thread: the LAST FILM YOU'VE SEEN thread

Hybrid View

Interesting point about the title of the Riefenstahl documentary, which of course suggests a hedging of bets to paliate a doubtful audience--but while Rosenbaum himeslf is fair to Riefenstahl, he goes a little overboard in implying the film is a promo job for her. Even if she may have had some control over it, it leaves you with plenty of serious doubts about her innocence of collaboration; the stuff about the concentration camp inmates taken out temporarily to work in a R film is there, for instance, and so is the dining with demon generals. Anyone who really cared would need to see other material, including the History Channel films alluded to by the Wikipedia piece--but I don't think Riefenstahl's dubious involvement in the Nazi propaganda campaign is left in any doubt and it remains true that she took a beating for it afterward and had remarkable accomplishments in silent film and photography before and after during an active lifetime that lasted 101 years. It's always interesting to see what Rosenbaum has had to say, but I'd be interested in your own opinion of the film, Oscar, if you have one.

It's true Children of Men has some remarkable long tracking shots and crowd scenes, but some of those scenes lack credibility as does the whole story with its many unexplained points. The dystopian future has pushed a lot of buttons for people who are worried, and resultingly gotten credit for a profundity and relevance that it quite lacks. I think it's one of the year's most overrated movies. We could debate that on the thread devoted to it

http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/show...threadid=1887.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 02-08-2007 at 12:15 PM.