Thread: Ingmar Bergman retrospective

Ingmar Bergman retrospective

A while ago I was going to post a cinema study on Ingmar Bergman. Now I have an opportunity to see 29 of his films on the big screen over a 2-month period at the pacific cinematheque.

I will post my thoughts on the Swedish master-filmmaker's works
    as I see them. I can't wait to experience these films as they were meant to be seen.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

I'm amazed at the length of this retro because here at Walter Reade or MOMA they usually last for about 2 to 3 weeks no matter how many films. This will definitely give you enough time to make changes to your schedule if necessary, and you'll also have some time to absorb each screening. Looking forward to your posts.

Wild Strawberries

Gong:
    Dr. Isak Borg is being honored at the Lund Cathedral for his life's work. He is plagued with oblique dreams and strange visions that relate to his 78 years on earth.

The journey to the ceremony is more interesting than the event that precipitated it.

He is joined by his daughter-in-law Marianne who wastes no time in attacking him for past behaviors. Soon they allow three souls to join them and bizarre events begin to transpire.

An auto accident creates serious tension when they must give a ride to the couple they crashed into. The vibe is so unbearable at one point that the new couple are dropped in the middle of nowhere...

Character development is primarily devoted to Isak. He's the story, he's the axis of the movie. He's got disturbing dreams and enchanting memories (i.e. Sara- I could fall in love with Sara easily- who wouldn't?) and he's basically just trying to sift through the 'ol life to find peace and love. Human stuff, right? Yep.
    VERY human stuff. Stuff Bergman does better than anybody.

Wild Strawberries is a must-see masterpiece and a cornerstone in cinema history. Kubrick named iit as one of his ten favorite films...

Smiles of a Summer Night

Emotions run high here- brace yourself.
    Nobody trusts anybody in this Bergman "rom-com".

Infidelity, marriage, mistresses, proposals (or lack of), cleavage, laughing, crying (lots of crying), broken promises, trysts, physical violence, drama, farce, symbolism, you name it- it's here!

This is a film you'll just have to see for yourself.

There is so much going on (all connected) that you'll need
    to be paying strict attention. This could be classified as a chick flick, but men, watch Petra (Harriet Anderrson). She's the reason I'll be buying this film on DVD. She's stunningly gorgeous for a maid. Think Emmanuel Beart in 8 Women only more sexy.

Bergman is able to nail the high-strung feelings that relationships create with incredible ease. The editing is about as smooth as you're gonna get in classic film. When you don't notice the editing in a film, it's DAMN GOOD. It means the director has got you in the palm of his hand, and Ingmar sure had me...

P.S. There is a wonderful song performed late in the film that reminded me of Jeanne Moreau's in Jules et Jim.

Good stuff, Johann. Your short and unique reviews say more about the films than some of the other stuff I've read. Keep it up!

Will do.

By the way, Harriet Andersson is still acting. She had a role in Lars von Trier's Dogville.

The Magician

Max von Sydow gives a command performance here. He doesn't speak for quite a while as Albert E. Vogler, and when he does, you see just what the magician can do.

The magician (Vogler) is rumoured to be Bergman. (Like Fellini was Guido in 8 1/2). Maybe. But he's definitely the draw of the film for me. He operates his "Magnetiska Health Theatre" out of a coach, and they're on their way to Stockholm.

The police intervene, and they're required to prove that their magic is "on the level".

The sexiness of this film cannot be underestimated- check out Bibi Anderson as Sara! And don't forget Sanna...

This film has some stuning cinematography by Gunnar Fischer.
    Gorgeous black and white, striking lighting, great pov shots.

The ending is perfect, although I could understand some people getting all uppity- Bergman kinda leaves you hanging.

*Interesting to note is that the troupe are to perform the "big gig" on Bergman's actual birthday (albeit in 1846...)*

And why for the love of GOD is this film not available on DVD?
    correction: I guess it is:
    http://www.discshop.se/LIVE/shop/img...arge/38884.jpg
    Last edited by Johann; 01-22-2005 at 02:24 AM.

The Seventh Seal

So you got your Antonius Block back from the crusades (Sydow).
    You got your Grim Reaper.
    You got your starving, singing, wandering artists.
    You got your heavy duty religion, humour, great characters, "deep" spiritual questions/explorations and a massive dose of human emotion.

Masterpiece.

One question: Is a skull really more interesting than a naked woman's body?

Cries and Whispers

Man, the big-screen experience of this film was overwhelming.

Before the film began, I heard someone say to another: "Are you ready for a downer?". I know what they meant, but it pissed me off. Why are you here then? Why did you come to see en film av Ingmar Bergman? Especially one you've apparently already seen?

Cries and Whispers is a brave film. It's a film by a filmmaker who decided to put the viewer through his paces.

You may hate it. You may think it's the most ridiculous piece of crap ever made- boring, tedious, with annoying scenes of women in the throes of anguish. If you think that then you need more exposure to art. Emotions are front and centre and if you got the cajones to immerse yourself in the characters' plight then you will walk away from this film a better person.
    But you won't do that, right?
    You won't allow yourself to give it up for a film like this.
    You can't make your manliness more vulnerable than it already is.

See this scarlet marvel with your mind wide open.
    If not, you'll miss a gift from Bergman that will never leave you.

It's far too short a film-I wanted it to go on forever.
    There is something horrifically beautiful about this film but I can't put my thumb on what it exactly is.