Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nobody Knows (2004)

Re: Re: Someone Knows!

Originally posted by hengcs
    (1) A "possible" cultural differences: "Maybe" Americans are more vocal and always "asking for their rights" ... but in Asia, even if kids are badly treated or tortured or in need of help, they are unlikely to seek help from authorities ...
    I must admit that this is a good point. But, from what we saw early on, Akira was an intelligent young lad and knowing something might happen (health wise) to the young ones I thought that he'd make more of an effort.

(2) In addition, the landlords might be just waiting for their parent to appear -- after all, they may assume there is no point asking the kids. Would you bark kids for rental? You would likely wait for the adults ...

That's obviously the "right" answer but the apartment was in pretty rough shape also. Not to mention the various gatherings of Akira's friends also made it pretty noisy.

(4) I can't recall if the horrible look was sudden or slow ... You may be correct ... but we probably have to assume the "jump" in time span ... and no laundry or soap ... so they looked unkempt ...

I was able to smell this thing out early on so I was keenly watching any little details. This was quite sudden to me and a little humorous also to see the whole collar being ripped (as if someone did it on the spot) not to mention the holes etc. But I guess we were all suppose to buy in that poor people look like that.

(5) are you wondering why he did not use the cellphone from the girl? or are you wondering why he did not contact that girl any more?

Actually I was being a little sarcastic. I mean is there a lack of phones in Tokyo that someone might be able to use for free if there's an emergency?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my specific concerns instead of romanticizing the whole thing.

Re: Re: Re: Someone Knows!

Originally posted by arsaib4
    (5) are you wondering why he did not use the cellphone from the girl? or are you wondering why he did not contact that girl any more?

Actually I was being a little sarcastic. I mean is there a lack of phones in Tokyo that someone might be able to use for free if there's an emergency?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my specific concerns instead of romanticizing the whole thing.
    Hmmm ... are you asking if there is a FREE phone in Japan (like the 911 here?) ...

The answer is "I do not think there is a FREE phone, esp. when he was trying to call his mother; however, every coin phone can call 999 for free. I can't remember whether it is 911 or 999 in Japan".

By the way, I have just re-edited my comments (e.g., included replies to your queries about why her friends and family etc might not be aware), did you manage to read them all?
    ;)
    Last edited by hengcs; 04-18-2005 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks to hengcs for answering in detail. Two of his points I would underline:

(1) The major flaw of the movie is it's too long. This bothered me far more than any perceived lack of verisimilitude. Kore-eda has not, up to now, appeared to be at all a "realistic" director.

(2) The cultural point is a strong one: Japanese kids would probably be much too ashamed to complain about parental treatment. Personally I think a 12-year-old of any culture might be pretty competent in caring for his siblings in the apartment, but just terrified about contacting outsiders. There is the issue, which also occurs in The Cement Garden where the parents die, that the children may justifiably be afraid of being separated and put under some awful impersonal public care.

arsaib4: you are certainly entitled to dislike the film as intensely as you wish. YOu offer some valid criticisms and questions about details. There is a "jump" to the more unkempt clothing. However it is not helpful to adopt a condescending attitude toward those of us who liked it as you did again earlier when you spoke of a "haze" which "put us all to sleep"-- as if you alone were the enlightened one. If you believe that, best to keep it under your hat. You would not want to hear me say I think you are deluded and blind, would you?
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 04-18-2005 at 11:47 PM.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Someone Knows!

hengcs: Good point regarding the "family and friends" but I took that in consideration before I commented.

Chris: My remarks are made in reference to the film and what I think it has done to the audience, so, NO, they aren't akin to calling someone blind!

Re: General Film Forum 'NOBODY KNOWS" thread

Originally posted by Chris Knipp
    The thread on NOBODY KNOWS started by Howard Schumann separately in the General Film Forum is here http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/show...threadid=1236. Consolidation perhaps needed.

Hmmm ...
    I agree ...
    ;)

I just realize that the thread at NOW SHOWING has no posts for the last 30 days ... maybe the administrator should list BOTH this and that in the same thread in NOW SHOWING?!
    ;)

The region 2 PAL DVD was released in the UK on the 16 May by ICA Projects/ Drakes Avenue, they don't appear to be able to decide which name they're using.

Unfortunately (as is usual with this distributor) it's a bare bones disc, picture and sound quality are adequate but not even a trailer as an extra. Another unforgivable error, the subtitles are burnt in there really is no excuse for this at all, just penny pinching. It is not a budget priced release and should be treated accordingly.

Cheers Trev.
    The more I learn the less I know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12