Thread: Campfire (aka Medurat Hashevet) (2004) (Israel)

Campfire (aka Medurat Hashevet) (2004) (Israel)

This movie is Israel's submission to Oscar 2004/05.
    It was nominated for 13 awards at the 15th Isareli Academy of Film and Television Awards.
    ;)

The script is very credible, and anyone who is a widowed mother with 2 teenage girls would be able to identify with most, if not all of the issues raised in the movie (despite the fact that it is staged in 1981 -- i.e., immediately after the peace treaty with Egypt). Hmmm ... it seems like issues about life or human has not changed much after so many years ... hee hee ...

I think it was highly commended because of its different perspective from the typical or stereotyped movies on the settlement culture. Instead of highlighting the political issues, it chose to emphasize on individuals' motivation. However, in my very humble opinion, unless you have watched enough of movies from Israel about the settlement, you may not realize that it is a very different perspective.

In sum, the movie is about searching for love and belonging ...
    An above average film.
    ;)

Re: Campfire (aka Medurat Hashevet) (2004) (Israel)

Originally posted by hengcs
    Instead of highlighting the political issues, it chose to emphasize on individuals' motivation.
    Individuals' motivation to do what? Specify what you mean by "settlement culture"? Are we talking about settlement in the Gaza Strip? If so, is the film critical, neutral or supportive of the government policy to settle folks on Palestinian land?