Thread: "Be Cool" pales in comparison to "Get Shorty"

"Be Cool" pales in comparison to "Get Shorty"

I just picked up the collector's edition DVD of "Get Shorty" for $7.99. I couldn't resist. Though I already own the film on the now archaic Laserdisc format I don't have access to my LD player right now.

"Get Shorty" is one of those movies that I was not all that excited about when it came out. It's one of those movies that gets better with multiple viewings. In "Get Shorty" we have a veteran cast effortlessly working together to maintain a tone of tongue-in-cheek humor.

The writing is sharp. The insider's view of Hollywood is fascinating. The actor's have the ability to poke fun at themselves as when Gene Hackman's character, Harry Zim, is complaining about an actor who will only work one night on a shoot. Hackman has that clause in all of his contracts.

Delroy Lindo is fantastic as the scheming owner of a limo company who desperately wants to make it in the film industry.

I don't think Rene Russo has ever been better.

Little touches like Martin Weir's (Danny Devito's character) face on every periodical crack me up.

"Be Cool" pales in comparison to "Get Shorty"

It certainly does but you have to admire "The Rock" that camp cowboy pop promo was so bad it was good.

Yes, "The Rock" was pretty darn funny in that role.