Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannes Film Festival 2005

Manderlay

As expected, the film is dividing critics and audiences. If the reports are true, then it will appeal to the same group of people who loved Dogville.

Lars Von Trier: "So in fact I am American,..."

Much more on the film's page at Cannes' website. Be sure to check out the video-clips (on the left) of the press-conferences.

Just read this morning that Trier got a standing ovation for Manderlay and that his film and Cronenberg's History of Violence are strong contenders for the top prize.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Johann
    Just read this morning that Trier got a standing ovation for Manderlay and that his film and Cronenberg's History of Violence are strong contenders for the top prize.
    True. Many are also considering Haneke's Hidden for a prize. But Hou and the Dardennes are still yet to come! And, Sin City, of course.

Dargis on Dardennes' film, and more...

"...The Child had been greeted with cheers and applause after its first press screening at the Cannes Film Festival. Critics who have lustily booed other competition films this year left The Child extolling its greatness."

I almost starting crying just reading about it.

The Mexicans are CHEATING! (That's Carlos Reygadas, Mexican director of the highly controversial Battle in Heaven kissing a Mexican jury member.)

Latest Critics' Poll:

Hidden: 3.3
    Broken Flowers: 3.2
    The Child: 3.2
    A History of Violence: 2.8
    Manderlay: 2.7
    Last Days: 2.4
    Lemming: 2.2
    Where the Truth Lies: 2.1
    Election: 2.0
    Shanghai Dreams: 2.0
    Battle in Heaven: 1.6
    Kilometre Zero: 1.6
    Bashing: 1.5
    Once You're Born: 1.5

Distribution

Sony Pictures Classics have picked up Joyeux Noel, which is playing out-of-competition. Directed by Christian Carion, this WWI drama stars French actors Guillaume Canet and Dany Boon, along with Germany's Daniel Bruehl and Diane Kruger.

SPC will also distribute the controversial new BBC doc, The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear, which was reviewed by Chris Darke in the latest issue of Film Comment (art-directed by our moderator, Pmw).

Woody Allen's latest film, Match Point, is receiving lots of accolades. The inevitible comment "his best film in years...." is of course being thrown around.

I, for one, think the criticism of his more recent films has been a bit unfounded. True, maybe they haven't been as good as Annie Hall, but they've still been entertaining and funny.

Any reason why this film isn't "In Competition" at Cannes? I have no idea of the politics or procedures involved.

Originally posted by wpqx

Yes I was. Sorry but that film was a thirty minute movie stretched out to 90 minutes. He's done much better, and I'm hoping that this film at Cannes will prove that he still has some great work left in him. But hey more power to you if you loved Spider.
    Like Arsaib, I too loved Spider. Every second of it. The pacing of the film is locked into the subconscious of Spider, himself a rather non-linear, inefficient thinker. I can't imagine it being any shorter. I have a feeling the days of the more psy-fi Crone have passed. He seems somewhat cerebrally interested in drawing out the psychologies from less charged plot setups. We'll see... whatever his choices, I look forward to seeing the films. Cant wait for A History of Violence.

P

Re: Distribution

Originally posted by arsaib4
    SPC will also distribute the controversial new BBC doc, The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear, which was reviewed by Chris Darke in the latest issue of Film Comment (art-directed by our moderator, Pmw).

Hey,
    I have watched this at the SFIFF ...
    Just too busy to reveal it ...

Also, the director was there for Q&A ... (at Berkeley PFA)
    If only someone here knows people from SFS (I think they taped the Q&A), maybe you could get them to produce the Q&A in verbatim ...
    Why?

Because it was very insightful ... i.e., what was asked and how it was answered ... I can only recall some of them ... but still ... the director's answers are better than what I vaguely recall ... hee hee ...

(1) Before the movie was screened, the director was humorous ... he informed that he had distributions in about 25 (or 28) countries ... however, US was apparently missing ... *audience chuckled* ... then he added ... "However, one has to be humble, maybe it is indeed that boring ..." *audience laughed* ...

(2) Some of the tougher Q&A included ...

-- You parallel the "prevention approach" with the green movement? Are you denouncing its merits?

-- Do you think Bush and Blair genuinely believe what they did?

etc ...

Re: Dargis on Dardennes' film, and more...

Originally posted by arsaib4
    Latest Critics' Poll:
    Hidden: 3.3
    Broken Flowers: 3.2
    The Child: 3.2
    A History of Violence: 2.8
    Manderlay: 2.7
    Last Days: 2.4
    Lemming: 2.2
    Where the Truth Lies: 2.1
    Election: 2.0
    Shanghai Dreams: 2.0
    Battle in Heaven: 1.6
    Kilometre Zero: 1.6
    Bashing: 1.5
    Once You're Born: 1.5

Hi,
    Is the info from the Screen International Magazine ...?

A few days ago, I read that the following are favorites ...
    -- Hidden (aka Cache)
    -- The Child (aka L'Enfant)
    -- Manderlay

;)

Why is there no talk about the most controversial film in the festival?
    hiaks hiaks ...

* drum roll * ...
    it is ...
    -- The Great Ecstasy of Robert Carmichael

Most reports did explain why ... but they contained spoilers ... sigh

My bet is it's Jarmusch's time to shine.

Broken Flowers is creating a stir. An industry "insider" was on Classic Rock 101 radio today carping about the reception his new film got yesterday.

Palm D'or for Sir Jim? Please make it so.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Originally posted by JustaFied
    I, for one, think the criticism of his more recent films has been a bit unfounded. True, maybe they haven't been as good as Annie Hall, but they've still been entertaining and funny.
    I think you're being a bit generous throwing Annie Hall into the mix, but you may have a point, at least with a couple of his recent efforts. On the other hand, when someone sets a high standard, like Allen did early on in his career, people expect more. It's only natural I think.

Any reason why this film isn't "In Competition" at Cannes? I have no idea of the politics or procedures involved.

I'm sure many critics will be bemoaning this fact in the upcoming months, even though, the competition films are said to be strongest in years. While in most cases, the decision just comes down to what the programmers think are the best works, I think here it was a last minute decision to include it at all. I actually believe Allen when he said that he only came because of his wife.

Re: Re: Distribution

Originally posted by hengcs
    The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear

Hey,
    I have watched this at the SFIFF ...
    Just too busy to reveal it ...

That's great, hengcs. Looking forward to hearing more about it. You guessed right about the poll.
    Last edited by arsaib4; 05-19-2005 at 02:47 PM.

HIDDEN

I guess we can still trust some of our distributors. Sony Pictures Classics are on a roll: They've picked up Michael Haneke's Hidden (Cache). SPC's president Michael Barker said that the film will be launched later this year at the festivals in Toronto and New York.

HIDDEN

Michael Haneke's Hidden has won both the FIPRESCI and the Ecumenical Prizes. Expect another award tomorrow.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast