Seven Invisible Men (Lithuania) - BARTAS Sharunas

Sisters In Law (U.K.) - LONGINOTTO Kim/AYISI Florence

Tbilisi-Tbilisi (Georgia) - ZAKAREISHVILI Levan

The Buried Forest (Japan) - OGURI Kohei

The President’s Last Bang (S. Korea) - SANG-SOO Im

Travaux, on sait quand ça commence... (France) - ROüAN Brigitte

Who’s Camus Anyway ? (Japan) - YANAGIMACHI Mitsuo

Wolf creek (Australia) - MCLEAN Greg

Anybody attending? I have a number of friends going and starting to hear all about the politics surrounding the divying of passes. Apparentally there are about 10 different kinds each with its own level of access/attitude...

P

Sweet Jesus, what a trailer. Epic. Epic darling, Epic.

Nicole you should have committed to Lars.

He's the God of Cinema at the moment.
    many thanks arsaib4. This is the kind of film I LIVE for.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Absolutely, Johann. Let's hope we don't have to wait too long for it.

I'm sure you're ecstatic that Sin City is there.;)

Some info on Wender's Don't Come Knockin'.

hengcs: Do you know anything about Singaporean filmmaker Eric Khoo and his film Be With Me which is playing in the Directors' Fortnight?

Sin City? Hmm, never heard of it.
    Must be about vegas or something..

:)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Originally posted by arsaib4
    hengcs: Do you know anything about Singaporean filmmaker Eric Khoo and his film Be With Me which is playing in the Directors' Fortnight?

Hey,

I know the film maker ... and have watched his past films.

I will post something about his old and new films when I catch the time ... maybe way past midnight today or tomorrow ...

;)

Originally posted by hengcs

Hey,

I know the film maker ... and have watched his past films.

I will post something about his old and new films when I catch the time ... maybe way past midnight today or tomorrow ...

;)
    I hope this won't keep you way past your bedtime.;) Looking forward to your report.

Sorry for not posting yet ...

I am already not sleeping much ...
    But I guess the timing is quite bad this year ...
    I will explain later ...

As I will be busy this week, I will post all my reviews and Q&A about 1 week from now ...

Hope you all do not mind ...
    ;)

Sorry for not posting yet ...

I am already not sleeping much ...
    But I guess the timing is quite bad this year ...
    I will explain later ...

As I will be busy this week, I will post all my reviews and Q&A about 1 week from now ...

Hope you all do not mind ...
    ;)
    Take your time, there's no hurry. Enjoy yourself at the festival.

Carlos Reygadas, the director of Japón (an award winner at Cannes in 2002), is back with Batalla en el Cielo (Battle in Heaven). The film is in competition. Info

Amos Gitai, a Canner regular also has a film in-competition. The film is called Free Zone and it stars Natalie Portman, in her first Israeli film. Info. Of course, Portman is also in another little film called Star Wars: The Last Payment on Lucasfilm Ltd. which is playing out-of-competition.

Fatih Akin, the director of the powerful Head-On, is a member of the competition jury this year. He has a documentary playing out-of-competition as a "Special Screening." It's called Crossing the Bridge - The Sound of Istanbul. Trailer here. Info

Thanks for this information. I'll be watching for a chance to see the new Reygadas film.

some late additions...

Competition:

Tale of cinema (Keuk Jang Jeon ) - Hong Sangsoo / S. Korea

Un Certain Regard:

Eli, Eli, Lema Sabachtani? - Shinji Aoyama / Japan

Marock - Laïla Marrakchi / Morocco

Special Screenings:

Darshan – l'Etreinte - Jan Kounen / France

Morceaux choisis des Histoire(s) du cinéma - Jean-Luc Godard / France

Pelé Eterno (Pelé Forever) - Anibal Massaini Neto / Brazil

Originally posted by arsaib4

Overall comments:
    Often than not, Eric Khoo’s movies cater to the taste of critics (and film festivals) rather than mainstream audience …
    -- The pacing is usually very slow, with minimal dialogues
    -- The budget is usually little by industry standards (so do not expect commercial visual effects)
    -- It often contains some social and political agenda (i.e., belying the simple plot, if any).
    Note: While some people may agree with the “political” agenda, some may not. Regardless of one’s stand, it does probe one to think.

Now, let’s talk about his 3 movies that are more well known …

(1) Be With Me (2005)

-- It is the opening film for Cannes Film Festival 2005, Quinzaine des Realisateurs (Directors' Fortnight).
    -- Synopsis: It tells the story and life of a few people of different ages, but with a unified theme of love, lost, inspiration and destiny. Much of the story is left to interpretation.

Some facts:
    -- It is filmed in about 2 weeks, with a budget of S$200K (or US$122K).
    -- It is filmed with a digital camera.
    -- The film is inspired by Theresa Chan, a 62-year-old who has lost her sight and hearing since young. She also has a role in the movie.
    -- The film also features Eric Khoo's former English tutor.

-- See the “official” website and trailer here …
    http://www.zhaowei.com/bewithme.html

Forgive me, but I think the trailer is not very well made …
    Hopefully, the movie is much better!
    ;)

Being a Singaporean, I will watch the movie.
    ;)

(2) Mee Pok Man (1995)
    (Note: “mee pok” is a cheap but popular hawker center dish sold in Singapore)

-- The movie is Eric Khoo’s debut film.

-- Synopsis: It tells the story and relationship of a slightly slow-witted mee pok seller (without a name) and disillusioned Bunny (a prostitute). While he fantasizes about her, she fantasizes about marrying a foreigner. (Well, there was such a time in mid 1990s where there was quite substantial media talk about Singaporean women who preferred to marry foreigners).

-- My 1 cent worth: Well, this movie probes at love and obsession … repression and loneliness … the irony of control and helplessness … The director does attempt to be philosophical. To some people, it works; but to others, it does not. In general, most mainstream audience will find the movie too slow or lack of plot … and to some, the ending scene might be disturbing …

On a higher level, the move seeks to portray a different and darker slice of Singapore society (i.e., from a non tourists’ perspective -- about a repressive Singapore, about social misfits, etc.). This is apparent as the movie is often injected with “tourists’ like” scenery of Singapore to provide a contrast.

-- For more info, see the “official” website and soundtrack here …
    http://www.zhaowei.com/meepokman.htm

(3) 12 Storeys (1997)
    (Note: Well, if one has been to Singapore, one will realize that most residents are dwelling in 12-storey high rise “flats”/apartment).

-- This movie was featured in Cannes Film Festival 1997, Un Certain Regard category,

-- Synopsis: It relates the events on one Sunday, comprising 3 stories that are not exactly connected, except for its theme and the fact that the protagonists all lived in the same block. Behind the closed doors of the neighbors, every family has their stories and secrets …
    (1) The first story is about a man who marries a bride from China (Note: a common phenomenon in Singapore during mid 1990s) (I like this story the best, albeit the “stereotyping” of brides from China may or may not be fair.)
    (2) The second story is about a woman and her contention with her mother.
    (3) The third story is about an elder brother who has to look after his younger siblings. (Note: On a higher level, it also hints at the government assuming what is best for its citizens and trying to protect them from harm).

-- My 1 cent worth: I actually feel that this movie is much better than Mee Pok Man, albeit the 3 stories are not exactly connected or coherent. Nonetheless, a universal theme binds them -- it is about “dreams” and “freedom”, it is about “love” and “control”, it is about “communication” and the failure to do so … The movie excels in its “dark humor” that does contain social and political agenda.

On a higher level, it seeks to question the friendly or haven image of neighborhoods advocated strongly by the government. After all, most residents who live in the same block are supposed to know and care for one another … but do they?

-- See the “official” website and soundtrack here …
    http://www.zhaowei.com/12storeys.htm

that’s all
    ;)

Eric Khoo / Singapore

Now that's what I call information! Great stuff, hengcs.

Overall comments:
    Often than not, Eric Khoo’s movies cater to the taste of critics (and film festivals) rather than mainstream audience …
    -- The pacing is usually very slow, with minimal dialogues
    -- The budget is usually little by industry standards (so do not expect commercial visual effects)
    -- It often contains some social and political agenda (i.e., belying the simple plot, if any).
    Note: While some people may agree with the “political” agenda, some may not. Regardless of one’s stand, it does probe one to think.
    Sounds like he's someone I'll like.

(1) Be With Me (2005)

Being a Singaporean, I will watch the movie.
    ;)

I'm not a Singaporean, but I'll also watch it when it becomes available. :)

(2) Mee Pok Man (1995)
    (Note: “mee pok” is a cheap but popular hawker center dish sold in Singapore)

-- The movie is Eric Khoo’s debut film.)

I was surprised to find out that this film is available on DVD in the U.S. (it looks like it went straight-to-DVD in 2001). Some good reviews as you can tell by the image.

(3) 12 Storeys (1997)
    (Note: Well, if one has been to Singapore, one will realize that most residents are dwelling in 12-storey high rise “flats”/apartment).

-- This movie was featured in Cannes Film Festival 1997, Un Certain Regard category.

Sounds good. Is this available anywhere with subs?

*BTW, Eric Khoo is the producer of the recently released 15. This Singaporean film is directed by Royston Tan who is a good friend of Khoo. It opened in the U.S. to mixed reviews but has gotten some decent mentions from international critics.

"15 is a harrowing picture by the rebellious young Royston Tan about the nihilistic lives of five teenagers in his native Singapore."
    Philip French, THE OBSERVER

"Extremely gripping. Lush and vibrant!"
    Rich Cline, SHADOWS ON THE WALL

"Tan is one of Asia's most promising talents..."
    Derek Malcolm, The Guardian

...and yes, the self-proclaimed expert has also chimed in:

"In many ways stonger and more disturbing than Larry Clark's equivalent portraits of US teen skateboarder."
    Tony Rayns

No word yet regarding its U.S. DVD release, but the film is now available in the U.K.

p.s. see, I also know a thing or two about the Singaporean film industry. ;)
    Last edited by arsaib4; 05-12-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast