-- Best Picture
-- Best Supporting Actor (Yuen Wah)
-- Best Visual Effect
-- Best Sound Effect
-- Best Editing
-- Best Action Choreography

For more info, see ...
http://p219.ezboard.com/fforeignfilm...icID=173.topic

Although I am not a fan of Stephen Chow, I have watched it ... :)
Here is what I think ...

(1) It is much better than Shaolin Soccer!

(2) Well, there are a number of scenes that I laugh, even though I know it is exaggerated! ha ha ha ... I suppose you have to understand Stephen Chow's style of comedy ... it is usually exaggerated and maybe slapstick (we prefer to call it "mo lei tao" in Cantonese (i.e., illogical comedy)).

He also tries to pay homage to Bruce Lee and the Chinese tradition/belief in martial arts. In a way, it also pokes fun at "society" and martial arts that Chinese (the ethnicity) are so used to watching on TV/movies/novels/comics ... I guess most Hong Kongers and Chinese in general will be able to identify with. :) ... By doing so, he has created a primarily commercial film, but those who insist on searching for depth may find some ... hee hee ...

Question: I wonder whether foreigners (esp. Westerners) understand the jokes or like the movie as much? ... ha ha ha ...
(I believe non Chinese, but Asians (e.g., Thai, Filipino, etc) do watch dubbed martial arts film from Hong Kong often)

(3) Am I too kind to him?! ... Well, here are some food for thought in the movie ... but they are often overlooked if you just want a good laugh ...

About society ...
(i) in particular, Stephen Chow is good at highlighting the thoughts/emotions of the common/unknown people (or more precisely Hong kong people and to some extent, the Chinese (ethnicity) ...)
e.g., the desire to be somebody, the desire to have a romantic love story, the desire to be skilful in martials arts, the desire of many Chinese parents to want their kids to be doctors, lawyers, and engineers, etc
(ii) Do NOT assume ... people's motives/intentions, capabilities, etc ... someone is always better than you ... Do NOT stereotype ... about woman, kids, those be-spectacled, etc ... hmmm, do we always bully the weak?! ...
(iii) The irony of life ...
e.g., when you are nobody, you want to be somebody; but when you are somebody, you prefer to dissolve into a nobody ...
e.g., it is easier to be bad than to be good; the good are often not appreciated ...
e.g., we need the bad to protect the good?! ... (such as, the police being protected by the triads) ...
(iv) he also poke fun at the declining HK movie/entertainment industry! ha ha ha

About martial arts ...
(i) The martials arts depicted are so well known to Chinese(e.g., lion roar, the "godly" palm, etc) ... so it was funny how he exaggerated them ... ha ha ha
(ii) The characters (e.g., yang guo and xiao long nu) ... they are supposed to be two famous ALL TIME favorite couples (from Return of the Condor Heroes), so it was hilariously to depict two "awful" looking actor/actress using the names ... etc

In sum: I think it is an above average film, but you have to like his style of "mo lei tao" (i.e., illogical) comedy. You may or may not understand the jokes he is trying to poke fun ... but does it matter? It is supposed to be some comedy, not social commentary ... ha ha ha
;)