Thread: Ousmane Sembene

Ousmane Sembene

It's about god damn time, that's all I can say. New Yorker (of all places) has announced that on May 31st Mandabi and Xala will both be released on DVD. I could not be happier, and seeing how New Yorker was in charge of the theatrical release of Moolaade I can only assume that that will be a future release.

I won't get greedy though, but I will get damn excited, that's less than a month away.

Both are great films and this is wonderful news indeed. I'm also a little surprised that New Yorker are releasing them on their own, but may be they're preparing us for Moolaadé. Both Xala and Mandabi were only available in France as part of a 5 film box-set.

I finally had the opportunity to watch Sembene's debut feature, La Noire de..., two weeks ago. I was quite impressed. New Yorker distributed it in the late 60s. I wonder if they plan to release it on dvd...

I can only hope so, that tops my list of Sembene films I'd like to see.

Black Girl / Borom Sarret

New Yorker will release Ousmane Sembene's Black Girl (La Noire de... [1966]), the very first feature ever directed by a black African director, on DVD on October 11th. The disc will include Sembene's short Borom Sarret (1966).

Kick ass, Black Girl is on the top of my "Sembene films to see" list. Was thinking Moolaade would be the next release, but this is even better. Hope they keep at it.

Moolaade played here at the 23rd VIFF.
    I missed it.

Scary subject matter, but if it's as "non-didactic" as you say then I'm all for it.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Moolaadé on DVD in Canada / U.K.

Moolaadé's DVD is now up for pre-order in Canada from Seville Pictures.

Artificial-Eye (U.K.) will release the film on DVD on Nov 14th.

*Still no word from its U.S. distributor: New Yorker Films.

Mandabi is an interesting film. It is also somewhat amateurish. I noticed one scene where you can see the cameraman and sound guy in detailed shadow, and occasionally the mic coming into the frame. That gives the film an added charm in my opinion. This isn't a polished studio work but a unique slice of social commentary from a director, and a continent still figuring out how to make movies.

I agree with your overall assessment, and especially with your last statement. Sembene is called the "father" of African Cinema but it doesn't seem like he bore many worthy "children." Part of the problem is funding which isn't there like it used to be from outside sources. There might be something going on in Nigeria with its video culture but we're probably a few years away from reaping any rewards.

Black Girl comes out Oct 11th! Hopefully, Moolaadé will follow shortly.