Thread: Michelangelo Antonioni on DVD

Michelangelo Antonioni on DVD

One of Antonioni's most undervalued films is finally about to see the light of day. Story of a Love Affair (Cronaca di un Amore, 1950), which was the first feature film he directed (after making a handful of documentaries), is being released on DVD for the first time in the U.S.

The noirish premise involves rekindling of a romance between a bourgeois wife and her downtrodden lover, played by Lucia Bosé and Massimo Girotti, respectively. Bosé's husband (Ferdinando Sarmi) tries to keep tabs on the matter with help from a private detective not realizing that the tide may be turning against him. Story of a Love Affair is an exquisite and surprisingly entertaining film (perhaps accessible to a few more due to its linear narrative), and it's astonishing to see the command Antonioni displays right from the get-go with his austere, yet beautifully composed shots consorted by laconic camera movements. No "neo-realism" here!

No Shame Films will release STORY OF A LOVE AFFAIR in a newly remastered 2-disc set on June 28th.

Extras will include:

- Restoring a Masterpiece – interviews with cinematographer Giuseppe Rotunno and post-production technicians on the restoration process. (8 Mins.)

- Poster & Still Gallery—including behind the scene photos.

- Story of a Peculiar Night – The screening of the restored print in Rome, featuring director Michelangelo Antonioni, interviews with various film business people, including star Lucia Bosè. (29 Mins.)

- Identification of a Masterpiece— with assistant director
    Francesco (Citto) Maselli, film critics Tullio Kezich and Edoardo Bruno. (114 Mins.)

- Fragments of a Love Affair – on camera visit of the shooting locations with 1st AD Francesco (Citto) Maselli, reconstructing the genesis of the film. (5 Mins.)

- Collectible Booklet with talent bios, two original interviews with Michelangelo Antonioni and essay by Academy Award Nominee cinematographer Giuseppe Rotunno on the restoration of the film.
    Last edited by arsaib4; 05-25-2005 at 05:21 PM.

And here I was all proud of my bootleg VHS of it. Still eagerly awaiting the release of The Passenger, but as long as Jack Nicholson is alive, that will probably never come out on DVD.

Originally posted by wpqx
    And here I was all proud of my bootleg VHS of it.
    This has also happened to me. I recall numerous occasions when a U.S. date gets announced while I'm in the process of celebrating my imported vhs or a DVDr from some seller in Macau.

Still eagerly awaiting the release of The Passenger, but as long as Jack Nicholson is alive, that will probably never come out on DVD.

Really. That's too bad because it's one of his best (I think every film he made was one of his best). Even the vhs of The Passenger isn't readily available.

Word is Jack owns the rights to the film, and it's also said that he HATES the movie. Seems pretty intent on keeping it out of public consumption forever. I hope he changes his mind though, I mean the man who made Anger Management is gonna prevent us from seeing The Passenger, I just don't get it.

That's a shame. Antonioni's other films aren't being treated much better: Zabriskie Point is also OOP, no sign of a DVD; Identification of a Woman is no where to be found; Beyond the Clouds, a film people have finally warmed up to, exists on a terrible Image DVD; Red Desert's Criterion disc is impossible to acquire- they must re-release this one because it's getting a little ridiculous.

Isn't that wonderful?!

Beyond the Clouds was released on dvd in South Korea. It's an NTSC All Region disc of excellent quality.I bought mine for $12 including shipping.
    The Passenger is available on dvd in Japan but it's very expensive.

ZABRISKIE POINT

Apparently the Russians care more about this film than others. Zabriskie Point, the controversial 1970 film, which is only available on an OOP vhs here, is now out on DVD in Russia thanks to Film Prestige banner. The Region-0 Pal disc is available at Xploited Cinema.

This may have already been discussed elsewhere on these threads, but The Passenger is finally being released on DVD. It's also in limited release right now at some theaters in the U.S. I had the good fortune of being able to see it on the big screen today. It's a remarkable film, particularly when seen at the theater. The final 6 1/2 minute tracking shot is mesmerizing.

To me, seeing a classic film on the big screen reinforces the shortcomings of watching a film on DVD (or VHS) at home. Perhaps it's the fact that I have a 27" T.V. that leaves me cynical about the home viewing experience. I've simultaneously been watching and trying to appreciate L' Avventura and La Dolce Vita at home on DVD, and that medium just can't seem to do justice to the beautiful images in those films. Oh for a theater release of those films too! Maybe I need to buy a larger TV...

With some of the technology that’s out there today, I guess if one spends enough money, then they could probably come pretty close to duplicating the theatrical experience. But I still wouldn’t miss an opportunity to watch these classics within the confines of a theater.

Thanks for posting about The Passenger. An amazing film, isn’t it? I also took the opportunity to catch the updated version, and was in awe once again. Nicholson’s performance really stood out for me on this occasion. And yes, the late tracking shot brilliantly encapsulates one of the greatest of cinematic moments.

From all accounts, the theatrical release has generated a lot interest, and the film is slowly expanding at this point. You’re right, the DVD is also coming up (in May, I think), so that’s probably when most will get a chance to experience it.

I haven't heard any confirmation on it yet. I did not have a chance to catch it on the big screen, I know it's slightly altered, so I'm curious to see what was changed. You are right about it being a damn good film, I may even say it's my favorite of his. I don't honestly believe that a film has to be seen in a theater. Of my ten favorite films, I believe I've only seen two of them on the big screen.

Amazon lists May 23 as its DVD release date. I don't remember the MGM version really well, but I think in the new one Nicholson's relationship with his wife is shown with more depth (there are other minor alterations but nothing significant).