Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Film Sales Drop

Mr. & Mrs. Smith Drawing Female Interest

Chris Knipp quoting David Denby: "Both of these digital spectacles are aimed at twelve- to twenty-four-year-old males—the age and gender group that is most likely to turn out for a movie in the first weekend or two of its run...The movie business is hardly going bust, but, as domestic theatre attendance has fallen, it has become clear that the strategy of tailoring movies for teen-age boys can create a trap for moviemakers. A good part of this audience has never known the satisfactions of story and characterization and emotional involvement. How do you keep bringing these kids in? By continually upping the ante with greater and greater digital thrills...The studios could, of course, try to broaden the summer theatre audience—or at least make more films that appeal to men and women over forty, a group that still goes out to see Hollywood movies, especially in the autumn, pre-Oscar season. Now, however, directors like Nolan and Liman, whipping their films into a meaningless frenzy, have got themselves caught in the trap. “Batman Begins” and “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” may appeal to the target audience, but, for the over-twenty-fours, these movies are so overdone and underfelt that they’re hell to sit through. The directors have trashed their own work in pursuit of a dwindling theatre audience."

tabuno: According to boxofficeguru.com the primary audience that came out to Mr. & Mrs. Smith that grossed $50.3 million were female 56% and over 25 and older 57% a target group that prefers "the satisfactions of story and characterization and emotional involvement" and is known for its stable and persistant boxoffice turnout over time contrary to David Denby's statements. It looks like he was totally wrong on this one!!! The actual boxoffice results tends to support the likelihood that Mr. & Mrs. Smith contains characterization and emotional involvement if one actually watches Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and story satisfaction (examine the plotline) not action in this movie. Here we have a big boxoffice theatrical film that has content supporting that quality programming does exist this year along with bringining in the bucks!

Re: Mr. & Mrs. Smith Drawing Female Interest

Originally posted by tabuno
    According to boxofficeguru.com the primary audience that came out to Mr. & Mrs. Smith that grossed $50.3 million were female 56% and over 25 and older 57% a target group that prefers "the satisfactions of story and characterization and emotional involvement"

Actually, the explication provided by "the guru" for the high percentage of females and over-25s is the exposure via tabloids about the affair between the leads. I have no opinion since I haven't watched it. But the premise of the movie is so silly and what's on the trailer so repugnant and over-the-top that I will pass on it.

I didn't really mean to spur a debate on the virtues of these two movies, which nobody seems yet to have seen anyway. And I also didn't quote Denby because I endorse what he says, only because it is germane to the discussion of theater ticket sales and movie marketing. If you read all of Denby's piece you'll find he refers to Mr. and Mrs. Smith as "this taboid-juiced project." It sounds like it tries to please everybody, kids and over-25 women too.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is one of those movies I really hate.
    I haven't seen it nor do I want to.
    The trailer is all you need to see. Really.

You got two of the biggest egomaniacs in the history of cinema in an action movie that sells itself as Bond-cum-Bonnie & Clyde-cum-Romancing The Stone.

No thanks. Jolie and Pitt are 2 of the most self-absorbed actors ever, and they are allowed to play. And they expect me to PAY. Forget it hombre. Craptack to the third power. To be fair, Pitt can act when he wants to and Jolie is incredibly hot in Alexander.

Batman Begins is a whole other story. I just read Ebert's review. His reaction seems very honest and pure, and I suspect I'll be seeing Nolan's movie many times.

Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot. I must strike fear into their hearts...
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Mr. & Mrs. Smith Trailer is NOT the Movie

The trailer of Mr. & Mrs. Smith does a disservice to the movie. All it attempts to promote is action and violence. The actual movie, for those that go see it, is a romantic comedy that is about marriage and relationships that is enhanced by the unusual premise of the marriage of two assassins, allowing the movie to go places with marriage that ordinary movies couldn't even touch. This movie a lot more about the fun dialogue and excellent performances of innuendo about the issues that arise in being married. I very nice vehicle to bring up this topic in an entertaining way.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234