Thread: FOREIGNFILMS.COM - Looks like it's all over.

FOREIGNFILMS.COM - Looks like it's all over.

Some of you are or were members of foreignfilms.com and will be sad to hear that due to major problems,(almost all the posts being wiped out) it is almost certainly finished.

Personally I'd recently started doing a column covering Korean films which was going very well, I only wish I'd backed up all the posts, now I'll have to start over.

I can't honestly see where the site can go from here, there's nothing left to work with and at the moment it's impossible to post there at all.

Thanks to all involved with the site.

Cheers Trev.
    The more I learn the less I know.

I wish I was a member so I could contact Sara. I'd like ask her to visit filmwurld in the hope that she'd become a contributor here. Maybe one of you who are members there would we willing to invite her over.

I have tried with a few people but the site won't let us do anything at the moment.

Cheers Trev

Just tried again, may be successful but we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by trevor826; 06-01-2005 at 11:13 AM.

Re: FOREIGNFILMS.COM - Looks like it's all over.

Originally posted by trevor826
    Some of you are or were members of foreignfilms.com and will be sad to hear that due to major problems,(almost all the posts being wiped out) it is almost certainly finished.

Personally I'd recently started doing a column covering Korean films which was going very well, I only wish I'd backed up all the posts, now I'll have to start over.

I can't honestly see where the site can go from here, there's nothing left to work with and at the moment it's impossible to post there at all.

Thanks to all involved with the site.

Cheers Trev.
    Yeah, it's a disappointment, but I can't say that I'm surprised. After all, the site was managing itself for the last few months. I guess some whole section have been deleted (after what happened previously when we initially switched over, I'm glad I've saved most of what I posted this time around). That's why I also didn't answer your request, so I hope you understood.

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your thread. May be you can contact the mod, I'm not sure. How come you didn't save anything in the last couple of days? Anyway, as you said, it'll be foolish to post there anymore.

I guess John5/Mizoguchi hasn't been posting there lately. What about Sanoce/A?

From what I've found out, the problem has hit a few EZBOARD
    sites so I should think there's quite a few angry people.

I guess John5/Mizoguchi hasn't been posting there lately

No, and I've lost any contact details I had for him.

What about Sanoce/A?

Still been posting now and again but busy with studies and recently moved to Berlin.

There are still quite a few others as well who post now and again, I don't know what will happen now with the site or the members!

Cheers Trev.

I don't really know what happened over there. I wonder if they were not able to get a backup of their database from their web host. Thats a pretty standard practice in the event of a meltdown. As for FilmWurld, there are occassional "attacks" on the db (nothing directed at the site specifically, just worms/viruses etc that exploit weaknesses), but the site is backed up every other day and thus could revert to two days previous, if it were to go down hard. And that's the worst case scenario.

One thing Im pretty set on - keeping the site and the posts that make it so enjoyable available for as long as I am alive...

Welcome to anyone who has come over from foreignfilms.com

P

There are enough people interested to keep foreignfilms.com rolling, we have no idea if the data is retrievable although the info has been requested and we can't get hold of the site administrator but the support is there to try again.

I have requests for some members of this site and I will be contacting them soon, and I look forward to making the most of both sites from now on.

Thanks for all the support shown.

Cheers Trev.

Well we built it from scratch twice before, third times the charm. The site is up and running now, just got to get more people there, to help build it back.

FOREIGNFILMS.COM rising like a phoenix out of the ashes

Well it looks like we're on the up thanks to some great contributions. There is still a very slight chance that we may get the old data back but I'd like to formerly thank all who did (and hopefully will) contribute.

Thank you.

Cheers Trev.

More good news, we've started recovering some of our data, this is a very positive step and hopefully things can only get better.

Cheers Trev

Originally posted by pmw
    Welcome to anyone who has come over from foreignfilms.com
    P

Me too ...
    ;)

Anyway, I accessed foreignfilms.com based on the "intuitive" site name ... I just hope someone can get in contact with the admin there and I am most willing to help maintain the site or even purchase the site over (i.e., if it isn't too expensive ... unless "cybersquatting" is in practice).

One of the main draw is -- it is easy to locate the site with that "intuitive" site name ... Many new posters may guess it ...

I like the QUALITY post on THIS board (i.e., filmwurld.com).
    ;)
    However, I did not locate this forum (but was invited over by arsaib4) because it has a different spelling to the word "world" (i.e., filmwurld.com) ...

Just curious ... a question for pmw or the veterans here ... did you try purchasing filmworld.com or worldfilm.com then? I am just speculating that filmworld.com or worldfilm.com may be unavailable then ... Anyway, there was a time before the crash of the bubble when "cybersquatting" was a practice ... so a lot of sites are either not available or too expensive ...

Noteworthy, I am NOT suggesting any of those are cybersquatters ... but just providing a reason why a lot of NICE or intuitive website names are not available ...

Anyway, I like BOTH websites ...
    so I hope they continue to thrive ... and to ALL those who are undaunted ... hooray !!!

Yeah...cybersquatters are a nightmare. Im working on a more intuitive name that has some longevity to it because I'd hate to switch more than once. The idea with wurld was that it is wURLd. URL being the acronym for online; an online world of sorts. Of course, that doesn't translate, so it's a failure of sorts.... Will keep you updated and thanks for your continued presence here.
    P

Foreignfilms.com has been reborn with a complete facelift, don't forget to visit some time.

I'll leave the new admin and mods to blow their own trumpets.

Cheers Trev.
    Last edited by trevor826; 07-09-2005 at 11:45 AM.

No, I don't like doing that sort of thing. ;)

Didn't know the changes were so recent, but yeah, all of you need to get over there and do some posting, that site needs traffic and its had so many problems, it's like a troubled child that needs your love and support.