Well I get to have the first word on this new movie.

A Christian Bale week for me, with Batman Begins last night, and Howl's Moving Castle tonight. For those unaware, Bale voices the male lead in the story, something I didn't even know until the credits. At first I was a little disappointed that like his Miyazaki's previous Disney released American movies, this one was dubbed. With the cast assembled though, and the somewhat European look of most of the characters, it didn't seem odd that they were voiced by English speaking actors.

The cast also includes Billy Crystal, who plays a heart on fire, as well as Lauren Bacall and *gasp* Jean Simmons. It all works and like Miyazaki's other films, everything makes sense in his world. Walking houses, witches, spells, a talking child's heart, a wheezy dog, and black blobs/spirits, are all well within reason. Miyazaki remains the most imaginative animator in the world. Although this may not be up to his previous film, the perfect Spirited Away, the film does succeed on many levels. A compelling love story, unlike the forced one in Batman Begins, great animation, and just an all around enchanting atmosphere.

I would give a brief plot synopsis, but well I'm a little confused as to what the hell the picture was about, and if I tried to explain it, well it wouldn't make any sense. On the other hand, try and explain the plot of Spirited Away, it doesn't work in conventional terms. Truthfully though it's hard for any filmmaker to follow up a film like Spirited Away, and even Princess Mononoke which was again pefect animation. So we can't jump down Miyazaki's back for falling a little short, but the bar wasn't set as high. The film doesn't have the grand scale of the last two, it is simpler, and feels much more in tune with Kiki's Delivery Service (like that film this one includes witches).

I fear that NO ONE is going to see this film. There were a whopping 5 people in the show I saw, and the parking lot was full. But well release a movie the same weekend as Batman and don't be surprised if no one notices. Glad I got to see it though, and I look forward to hearing all of your takes on it.