Thread: Fantastic Four (2005)

Fantastic Four (2005)

It is just an average movie
    -- The best lines really belong to The Human Torch (i.e., Chris Evans) ... ha ha ha ...
    oh yes, he stole the show literally.
    ;)
    -- The movie attempts to contrast the agony/confusion with the coolness/fun of having super powers ... unfortunately, it does not touch one as much as the director desires ... neither does it come across as comical as the script seeks to be ....
    -- Overall, the pace does not really pick up ...

Conclusion:
    Watch only if you want to kill some time ... or is a fan of Chris Evans ...
    ;)

A good action movie

This film isn't quite as good as I'd hoped but I really enjoyed it.

It's no X-Men, but it's a damn good actioner.
    Ebert panned it, but I think he was just in that kind of mood.

The film is downright ridiculous story-wise, but we knew that already. This is one of those movies where you just enjoy yourself. It's just another comic book adaptation.

I was very impressed with how the filmmakers handled The Thing (Ben Grimm). I wondered if I'd be groaning over his visage like the first FF movie (a foam rubber horror).

Michael Chiklis manages to give Ben the emotion and character that comics fans know and love. His facial expressions are very well done considering he's supposed to be a monster made of rock.

The Human Torch is excellent CGI. The human side of "the Torch" I can do without. He's annoying. (That's his character...)

Mr. Fantastic is exactly as he is in the comics: the unimpressive leader. Sure, being able to contort and configure yourself into just about anything is a boss super-power, but something about Reed Richards screams "YAWN". Don't ask me what it is. Maybe it's just that Plastic Man seems more dynamic than Mr. F- he's just so...pedestrian.

Jessica Alba proves that there is in fact a hamster on that wheel in her head. She shows more acting range in this movie than anythig else I've seen her in- even Sin City. She's smart here. She's like Jean Grey in the X-Men movie. Sexy yet sophisticated. (and lookin' damn fine in a tight costume)

Tim Story has made a very respectable film.
    The Fantastic Four could've been horrendously bad but Story pulled it off. I think it's better than Daredevil.

Again I ask: how are you gonna pull off a movie with these type of characters as your main meat? When you think of how you would put Marvel Comics' icons on the silver screen it's not hard to appreciate what they did to bring the Foursome to life..
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Raoul Guest

Guaranteed to Suck

I haven't seen the film, nor will I waste my money on it, but I can assure you all that the movie is complete and utter trash based solely on the fact that it is filmed in my home town of Vancouver.

They never film anything good here. Vancouver is for saving money on production, then heading back to LA to regroup.

If they're chincing on the production, you'd better believe they're chincing on the script and actors. Case in point: Micheal Chickless (The Commish) is The Thing. Please.

I challenge anyone to name a Vancouver Production that doesn't SUCK. Go ahead, give it a shot. Start at Catwoman and work your way backwards.

(insomnia doesn't count: it's filmed in Squamish)

What about Bird on a Wire?

Sorry. ha ha!

Or how about Rumble in the Bronx?
    Double Jeopardy?
    Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever?

Ok- you've made your point. But I liked Fantastic Four, so there.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Ah, yes, Rumble in the Bronx, with Jackie Chan in his sleeveless turtleneck. Unforgettable.

The fact that Dr. Doom isn't a sorcerer in the film makes me wish to eternally shun it.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave