Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The War of the Worlds

I'm not trumpeting my credibility.
    I'm not running for office and I have no agendas to push.

I'm a talking head on a computer, one whose instincts and suspicions about Bush and his war are bang-on.
    I'm on the outside looking in. (From another country).

I know what you REALLY hate Steve. It's not that I'm right, it's that I'm right and I am not an American.

Doesn't that just get your knickers in a knot?

Well schoolmastah, there's nothing you've taught me with your long boring factoids and hollow howling.

Ironic you tell me to connect the dots when you can't do it yourself.

The heavy artillery has been brought in:
    Oliver Stone's next film will be the first on 9/11.

If Michael Moore can't shake up the American people enough to do something then maybe Stone will- JFK blew the lid off the Warren Commission report. That film got the government to release documents that would never have seen the light of day.

I think you love war Steve. Your posts on the subject have revealed a strange endorsement, almost like you wish you were good enough to actually be a soldier or someone like Patton.

There's nothing you can say or do to convince me that Bush is acting in anybody's interests but his own.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

>>I know what you REALLY hate Steve. It's not that I'm right, it's that I'm right and I am not an American.<<

I don't really care that you are not American. In fact, it would probably disturb me more if a real American were as unpatriotic, cynical, and gullible as you. It's curious that you bring this up...A psychologist might see your statement as something that reveals a national inferiority complex.

>>I think you love war Steve. Your posts on the subject have revealed a strange endorsement, almost like you wish you were good enough to actually be a soldier or someone like Patton.<<

Having served in the first Gulf War, I can tell you nothing could be further from the truth. But people familiar with the realities of the outside world, beyond the insulated world of Vancouver, B.C. realize that war is sometimes a necessary evil. Have you ever been to a foreign country? South of the equator? I'm not trying to be patronizing, I'm just curious what your life experience is.

Johann On Biography

Well, I was an Infantry Soldier for 5 years (1991-96) in the first Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

Although I've never been overseas (in operations) I was ready to go in a line platoon at all times- we were scheduled to go to Haiti & Rwanda but we got stood down both times in order to allow the 2nd BN to go.

So I have a unique perspective on this whole thing, because if I had stayed in, I would have been in the exact same group that was bombed by your reservist hotshots in Afganistan- Marc Leger joined when I did, and we did a machine gun course together in 1995- I have pictures of him and I-he's dead now because of Bush. And I'm furious. He was a Sgt. That's what I'd be right now if I made the military my career.

I got wise along with 150 other guys when they moved the base in Calgary to Edmonton. A lotta guys' wives had great jobs- the commute was inconceivable.

anduril knows all this is true- so call him up if you want. You guys are buddies!

I'm so cynical you can't believe it. How can you not be? With the President, this war and these giant lies?

But you underestimate me if you think I'm gullible.

I probably love America more than most Americans.

Because of Jim Morrison I love America
    Because of Hunter Thompson I love America.
    Because of Martin Scorsese I love America
    Because of Orson Welles, John Ford, Oliver Stone........ the list could go on for pages and pages and pages.

I'm more for America than you know.
    I hate what is happening and has happened in the disgraced halls of Washington.

It speaks for everything horrible about the American character.

a Bush Limerick

Bushie had a little Rove
    His flesh was white as snow
    Everywhere that Rovie went,
    the SLIME was sure to flow

The case was made for war one day
    And dissent would not be heard
    Wilson made his case anyway
    So Rovie spread the word

Bushie stood behind his Rove
    And left McLellan to perspire
    While Mehlman spewed out his best
    To spare Rovie from the fire

The country stood by in disgust
    and waited for the news
    Yet all they heard were dishonest words
    which Bushie ALWAYS spews

Bushie had a little Rove
    who always managed to evade
    but soon he'll be back to Texas,
    WHERE HE SHOULD HAVE FUCKING STAYED!

Re: Widening Gap Could Lead To Civil War

Originally posted by tabuno
    The final war against America may come not from the outside but from the inside.

Amen on that Tabuno.
    The writing is certainly on the wall...

Human Slavery

CBS 48 Hours/Mystery bought a female sex slave for $1800 in Romania.

Instead of freeing Iraq for $87 billion, we could be buying and freeing at least 40,000,000 sex slaves around the world, including those in the United States, without our American soldiers dying.

>>he's dead now because of Bush.<<

That's not true and you know it. Everyone who has seen action has issues with losing people they know and love. People die because choppers crash, missiles explode, bullets fly, etc. To try and place the blame on the Commander in Chief is specious at best.

Every person I know who was in the military (or still is in) is a huge Bush supporter.

Tabuno:

Even I have my limits...I think 40,000,000 sex slaves would be pushing it. ;)

O.K.

I agree with stevetseitz about my number of 47,000,000 sex slaves. What the television report talked about wasn't the number of actual slaves. The number I came up with is the number of sex slaves if they existed that could perhaps be bought with the financial resources the United States is putting into Iraq. I would ponder the question is regards to deciding between freeing (whatever one means by this term) Iraqis and sex slaves. I wonder which might be considered more important.

As the dust settles...

I have offically renamed this thread: "The War of the Words."

... and stop all this "sex slave" talk... it's getting so a late night surfer can't be tempted even on his favorite film site!

the final word

This is the best piece of writing on Bush I think I've ever read.
    It's by E.L. Doctorow:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/index.php?id=3443

Johann:

You are seriously missing the point. You can criticize Bush all you want. The left often needs PEOPLE it can attack because it cannot debate on principle.

The enemy that we face today is faceless and anonymous. Until they strike they are almost always unknown. The only way to defeat terrorism is to create an atmosphere where it cannot thrive.

Terrorism is the deliberate targeting of civilians and non-combatants to create fear and attempt to bring about political change.

State sponsorship of terrorism is refuge, training, weapons, logistical support or intelligence provided by a government to terrorists. It is a fact that Iraq provided some if not all of these to members of al-Qaeda and other Islamic terror groups including Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad.

Ever since Operation Iraqi Freedom we have seen a change in attitudes in the Middle East. Many leaders have softened their pro-terrorism stance. We are even getting cooperation from regimes that have been previously opposed to dealing with Islamic terror.

If there is one thing that politicians like it is power and watching Saddam Hussein lose his because of terror ties was very influential to leaders in the region.

If terrorists have no state sponsorship it limits their ability to strike effectively. If they have no refuge they cannot plan and train they must hide. If they have no intelligence and logistical support they are at a great disadvantage when it comes evading authorities.

Even the recent terror attacks in London appear to have been carried out by Brits. So it's not a case of foreign nationals sneaking into a country to attack it.

If you look at the big picture, Operation Iraqi Freedom not only freed tens of millions from an opressive and murderous regime it changed the entire landscape of the Middle East.

The Metaphysical Discussion Thread

It's interesting to learn a bit about the background and beliefs of board members, but perhaps this website could use a separate forum for indirect discussions not pertaining to film that were however grown out of film. The power of film to create a far-reaching discussion of important issue just goes to reveal how vital and essential film making really is.

I'm not missing any fucking points Steve.

People to attack? What glue are you sniffing?

Bush is attacked by the left and even the right from time to time because his "style" as President was and is destroying life and liberty.

This is about going to war for phony, fictitious and completely bogus reasons.

If you can't get it through your head that I'm not attacking Bush "for the hell of it" or "just for kicks", then I can't help you.

This man deserves severe scrutiny and severe punishment.
    His actions have ruined lives, the U.S. economy and job market, the environment and just about everything else he's touched.

NEWSFLASH STEVE:

You can't fight terrorism.

I laugh so hard at you terrorism blowhards.
    You actually believe that you can defeat terrorists.
    "Unknown enemy" - exactly. They'll strike fear into the hearts of peace-loving, "normal" people at the most inopportune times.

If you get blown up on a bus by some goof with a backpack, what the fuck are you gonna do in response?
    Go on national TV and say "We won't be bullied"?

A lotta good that'll do.

You can't defeat a terrorist. You can't "fight" them.

Do you realize how stupid Bush, Blair and all the other asswipes who claim to be righteous and free look when the say "Our resolve is stronger than your terror"?

People are still dead. People are still maimed and injured or getting cool in a morgue.

The terrorists won. What you do in response will just feed right into them. Especially in today's atmosphere. Attacks will continue to happen- expect them. You can't stop suicide bombers and you can't stop terrorists. You might get lucky and thwart some individuals from time to time with vigilant/alert security and police, but if the bad guy is smart, he'll get the job done.

Bush & Blair have done an outstanding job of making sure terrorism doesn't thrive, huh? You got a complete retard in charge. If I were you I'd be pretty worried about attacks happening again under this jerk's regime.

Read E.L. Doctorow's article I linked above. He's right on target with his assessment of Bush.

That war sure did change things in the middle east, but it ain't as rosy as you portray. Oppressive regime is over? Millions are free?
    Yep, but they got no economy, no fuel, no food, no electricity, no fucking government, no decent health care, etc etc etc.

The way you write, you'd think Iraq was the best, most hope-filled Xanadu on Planet Earth.

Fuck Steve, have some empathy for the dead and all those who've suffered and still suffer before you praise this quagmire.

It's evil, it was orchestrated by THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION, and I will run him down every chance I get because he's the most arrogant, psychopathic idiot who ever held that office.

He's abused his power, his position and has lied so much he should at the very least be impeached. He blocks, prevents and deflects. Everything is a political liability. He never apologizes or appears to answer to anybody, such is his arrogance.

As HST said:

I PISS DOWN HIS THROAT.

>>You can't fight terrorism.<<

LOL! That's like saying you can't pick weeds in your garden.

Thank God a defeatist doom-and-gloom pessimist like you wasn't elected during this challenging period.

Of course you can fight terrorism. First, you find and destroy terrorists where ever they are. Second, you put economic and political pressure on countries that are state sponsors of terror. Lastly, you use all resources available to provide people with as much security as possible given the requirements of liberty.

You seem to be forgetting what terrorism is. It is the intentional targeting of civilians and non-combatants to create fear in order to cause political change. If you allow this fear to weaken your resolve, the act of terrorism has been successful. If you do the EXACT OPPOSITE politically of what the terrorists want, it means the act of terrorism has been an utter failure.

If the Extremist Islamists want theocratic regimes, we give them democracy (where Kurds, Shiites and Sunnis all have a voice)

>>You can't defeat a terrorist. You can't "fight" them.<<

Wrong on both counts. Do you have any IDEA of how many terrorist plots are stopped every year? Every month? Do you have any idea of how many are brough to justice?

Bush and Blair have done a fantastic job under adverse conditions and most of the free world backs them 100%. It is radical left-wing (such as yourself) that has become, in Stalin's words, the "useful idiots" of the terrorists. Terrorists love nothing more than to read weak, cynical and doom-and-gloom outlook towards the war on terror.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast