Thread: The Beat That My Heart Skipped (De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrêté) (2005) (France)

Threaded View

The Beat That My Heart Skipped (De Battre Mon Coeur S'est Arrêté) (2005) (France)

Director: Jacques Audiard
    Cast: Romain Duris, Niels Arestrup

The official website is here …
    http://www.wellspring.com/movies/movie.html?movie_id=63

At the Berlin International Film Festival, it won the Silver Bear for Best Film Music.
    see
    http://www.berlinale.de/en/archiv/ja...eger_2005.html

Yes, the catchy title did tempt me to watch the film … I want to know what it is all about … Knowing me, I do not like to read synopsis (which will likely contain some spoilers, no matter how little). However, I notice the poster, and there are captions (from reviews) like … “thrilling” … “suspenseful” … “Alfred Hitchcock style” … etc … So, in a way I prepare myself wrongly for the film … ;( … if only they have tried to sell it as a dramatic film … which I think is more apt …

What is commendable?
    -- I have to agree that it is among the best films in terms of CHARACTER study … wow! Yes, finally a character that is very real and complex …
    ;)
    -- I have to agree that the above is in part boosted by the outstanding performance of Romain Duris!
    -- Definitely the soundtrack (e.g., in violin), or if you like classical music (e.g., the piano), or if you prefer contemporary music (e.g., electro music)!
    -- It does try to achieve a lot (in terms of theme) … hmmm … but does it really succeed?
    e.g., It dealt with family, father and son, (deceased) mother and son
    e.g., It dealt with friendship and love, loyalty versus betrayal, etc
    e.g., It dealt with violence versus peace … a new life versus an old … a dream versus harsh reality … work versus leisure (i.e., art/music) … etc
    -- Overall, I am impressed with how AUTHENTIC and REAL the entire film comes across … every scenario is so believable even though they may involve worrisome or frightening situations … you can believe all these things do happen to this character … wow …

What is problematic?
    -- The problem (if any) is … the film does not really pick up for the pace of a thriller … every time you think something will happen, nothing very much happens to follow through and sustain it … ya, something does happen, but it is over too soon and not very thrilling … kind of a let down …

* possible minor spoilers *
    e.g., in the beginning, they were carrying these bags of “unknown” squeaking creatures and the audience wondered what they were … soon they scurried all over the floor … some screams … they left … nothing else happened …
    e.g., subsequently, the father asked the son to threaten the restaurant owner … when he eventually did, he set fire … in the struggle, he reached for a knife … and it was at the owner’s throat … then … nothing happened …
    e.g., his friends negotiated a different contract … they argued … again nothing happened …
    e.g., his father requested him to get back at the Russian guy … he finally located him and identified him … the Russian guy went up to his room … nothing happened …
    e.g., before his big day at the piano audition, his friends woke him up in the middle of the night … loud bangs on the door … oh no … would something happened to his hands? … oh no … did you guess it right … I shan’t tell you anything …
    * end of minor spoilers *

-- In a way, the many “minor” subplots are fantastic in helping to understand his character, the mood swings, etc. However, as a whole, these many subplots and events might actually mask the main theme (if any) of the movie. Also, to a large extent, it affected the overall coherence and pacing of the movie …
    :(

Conclusion:
    If you are looking for a character study or a great performance by the lead, I say GO FOR IT!
    ;)
    If you are looking for a thriller … hmm … I would say, I am still thinking if it is indeed *really* a thriller …

P.S.: My friend actually considered the film “strange” and “boring” …
    Last edited by hengcs; 07-12-2005 at 11:32 AM.