Actually, Kent Jones’ comment on Bill Murray’s acting was sort of a backhanded compliment. And my reaction calling it “minimalist” certainly was. While it may not seem like he’s doing much, the way Murray grips the screen even when he’s simply staring into space is something remarkable. That is acting, but not the kind we’re used to watching and admiring. It’s like an opposite of what Sean Penn does.

I’d like you to expand on “I find it lets in more of the world, gets more specific about American society.” I’m not sure if Jarmusch was quite successful here, even though it’s possible that was something he attempted. As I mentioned, the first segment was too easy, a bit cheap, something that wouldn’t look out of place in an Alexander Payne film. The shots during the travel didn’t carry the same significance as the ones from, say, The Brown Bunny, where we watched another man going back to connect to his past in someway (it certainly doesn’t help that Jarmusch shot the whole thing in Jersey).

As for visual aspects, I didn’t notice anything that was worth mentioning. The B&W of Stranger than Paradise and Dead Man is what Jarmusch is associated with. What did you think?