Thread: "Deluxe Combo Platter"

BTES Guest

"Deluxe Combo Platter"

Hey, this message is especially for Johan!! Deluxe is coming out in theatres on August 26th! I saw it at the Vancouver film Festival too and it was hysterical! It's great to have a Canadian movie that's actually good! Let's support it - it's really worth the trip out and you get to see two girls kiss although that's not what makes the movie great (but it doesn't hurt!). Jennifer Tilly and Dave Thomas are too funny together - worth the price of admission alone. I want my own DVD copy too when it's out. There's a contest on the CFUN site to win tickets for the advance screening. Check out the hot poster ! That's a lot of meat in that bun!

Thanks for the tip, B.

Do you live in Van?
    I've been waiting almost a year for this DVD.
    One of my all-time favorite comedies...

Tilly's accent is what really drives me nuts. Her voice is very "phone sexy" as Alma.

Indeed, a Canadian film that aims high and succeeds (or should I say "aims low" and succeeds? The characters are pretty base....)
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

BTES Guest
    Hey Johan,

No, I'm in Toronto. I was visiting an old college friend who now lives in Maple Ridge and we decided to catch some of the festival. Saw Deluxe there.

I noticed it's opening in Toronto. However, doesn't look like there's a lot of advertising for it AND it's Canadian, so unfortunately, it'll probably die a quick death since most people won't know about it. No wonder Canadian films don't get anywhere.

BTW - how old are you? We saw it with a couple of girls and thought it would be a chick flick but hey - there was plently for the guys!

If it took this long for the movie, who knows how long the DVD would take. Let's not hold our breath!

B

I am the ripe old age of 30.

I saw the film at the pre-festival media screenings that were held at the cinematheque. I probably wouldn't have picked it to see at the fest proper.

But I'm so glad I saw it- a nice little comedic gem.

BTES Guest
    Cool! Just wondering cuz in other threads I've read through, you seem to know so much about film - thought you were older. My wife and I are really into film too. I used to be a film editor but gave it up because I love to eat regularly.

Interesting that Deluxe appeals to wide age range - another reason I was curious about your age. We (wife and I) are in our 40's and our BC friend's teen girls liked it as did their grandmother when they saw it at the following screening after our recommendation.

Anyway, Johan, you have interesting thoughts and are very bright. Nice chatting with you! all the best in your future career (you send headed for "the biz")

BTES

I like anyone who is a former editor.
    (They're the ones who REALLY make the film...)

Cheers BTES.
    I'll take being thought of as "older". I certainly feel older...

BTES Guest
    thanks, J. Great compliment. Once worked with John Ottman who edited the "Usual Suspects". He told me that whole reveal at the end was his editing. Cool, huh?