Bin-jip (2004) - 3-Iron

Directed by Ki-duk Kim

Starring Seung-yeon Lee, Hee Jae

A film where almost everthing is unspoken, emotions are shown with the eyes and with body language.

Tae Suk is a burglar with a difference, he fixes things, does the washing and steals nothing, he rescues a battered wife and together they continue his bizarre lifestyle until they get caught.

Surreal and ethereal, the film plays out like a modern folk tale or myth, this is one of the most enigmatic and haunting films I’ve seen and one I know I will watch again.

As for the meaning of the title(s):

The original title "Bin Jip" translates as empty rooms or houses, this title doesn't just represent the empty rooms/ houses that Tae Suk enters but as Ki-duk Kim explains, "We are all empty houses waiting for someone to open the lock and set us free."

Ki-duk Kim also commented on the name change to 3-Iron:

"People who play golf would know that 3 iron is the least used club. Imagine the 3 iron stucked in an expensive leathery golf bag but only rarely used. Its image parallels that of an abandoned person or an empty house. At the same time it is the tool with which Tae-Suk rescues Sun-Hwa and so signifies a hopeful change as well."

Highly recommended and one that will stay with you, also probably his most accessable to date.

Cheers Trev

BBFC rating 15