Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toronto International Film Festival 2005 (8/9 - 17/9)

Toronto International Film Festival 2005 (8/9 - 17/9)

The official website is here ...
    http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/2005/home.asp

It runs from 8 Sep to 17 Sep.

The selection is VERY excellent!
    ;)

http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/2005/films_filmList.asp

Can someone sponsor me? ha ha ha

Notes

I guess you already made a thread for me, hengcs. ;)

Here's the final press release from a couple of weeks ago:

Toronto International Film Festival Announces Complete Line-Up Including 109 World Premieres.

Toronto – At a press conference at Nathan Phillips Square this morning, Director & CEO Piers Handling, Festival Co-Director Noah Cowan, and Managing Director Michčle Maheux announced the final programme details for the 30th Toronto International Film Festival. This year, the Festival showcases 335 films from 52 countries, including 256 features, of which 84 per cent are world, international, or North American premieres, and 67 features are directorial debuts.

Today's announcement includes six Gala Presentations, including: the North American premiere of David J. Burke's EDISON, starring Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman, Justin Timberlake, LL Cool J, and Dylan McDermott, as the Closing Night film; Stephen Frears' MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS, a world premiere starring Judi Dench and Bob Hoskins; the world premiere of Guy Ritchie's REVOLVER, starring Jason Statham, Ray Liotta, Vinnie Pastore, and André Benjamin (Andre 3000); Stanley Tong's THE MYTH, a world premiere, starring Jackie Chan, Kim Hee Seon, Tony Leung Ka Fai, Mallika Sherawat, with special appearances by Choi Min Soo and Tam Yiu Man; the North American premiere of Tommy Lee Jones' directorial debut, THE THREE BURIALS OF MELQUIADES ESTRADA, starring Jones, Barry Pepper, Dwight Yoakam, January Jones, and Julio César Cedillo; and the Canadian premiere of Richard Shepard's THE MATADOR, starring Pierce Brosnan, Greg Kinnear, Hope Davis, Phillip Baker Hall, Dylan Baker, and Adam Scott.

The complete Masters line-up showcases 16 films from 19 countries. The world premiere of Martin Scorsese's highly-anticipated feature documentary NO DIRECTION HOME: BOB DYLAN and the North American premiere of Amos Gitaď's FREE ZONE have both been added to Masters today.

Fifteen films have been added to Visions for a complete line-up of 27 films from 22 countries, including: Larry Clark's WASSUP ROCKERS, Dorota Kędzierzawska's I AM, Beto Brant's DELICATE CRIME, Philippe Faucon's LA TRAHISON, Diane Bertrand's L'ANNULAIRE, Matthew Barney's DRAWING RESTRAINT 9, the Quay Brothers' THE PIANOTUNER OF

EARTHQUAKES, Kirill Serebrennikov's BED STORIES, Victoria Gamburg's TWILIGHT, Péter Gárdos' THE PORCELAIN DOLL, Luis Ortega's MONOBLOC, Nobuhiro Suwa's UN COUPLE PARFAIT, Fred Kelemen's FALLEN, Rashid Masharawi's ATTENTE, and Fabienne Berthaud's FRANKIE.

The complete Special Presentations line-up offers 41 films from 17 countries. The final 12 titles announced today are: Michel Gondry's DAVE CHAPPELLE'S BLOCK PARTY; Bennett Miller's CAPOTE; Bart Freundlich's TRUST THE MAN; Baltasar Kormákur's A LITTLE TRIP TO HEAVEN; Ol Parker's IMAGINE ME AND YOU; Roman Polanski's OLIVER TWIST; Josef Fares' ZOZO; Park Chan-wook's SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE; Philippe Garrel's LES AMANTS RÉGULIERS; Lajos Koltai's FATELESS; ALL THE INVISIBLE CHILDREN, from Mehdi Charef, Emir Kusturica, Spike Lee, Katia Lund, Jordan and Ridley Scott, Stefano Veneruso, and John Woo; and a screening of Robert Flaherty's classic NANOOK OF THE NORTH featuring a new score by acclaimed Montreal composer Gabriel Thibaudeau, which will be performed by a nine-piece orchestra featuring Inuit throat singers.The Festival releases the 28 remaining Contemporary World Cinema titles, resulting in a total of 63 titles in the programme. Today's announcement includes the late Theo van Gogh's final film 06/05, THE SIXTH OF MAY; Nicolas Winding Refn's PUSHER trilogy; François Ozon's LE TEMPS QUI RESTE; Jim McKay's ANGEL; Im Sangsoo's THE PRESIDENT'S LAST BANG; Radu Mihaileanu's VA, VIS ET DEVIENS; and Aric Avelino's AMERICAN GUN.

Fourteen films have been added to the Discovery line-up, which features a total of 24 films at this year's Festival: Hamid Rahmanian's DAY BREAK; Yi-kwan Kang's SA-KWA; Dionysius Zervos' THE SHORE; Francisca Schweitzer and Pablo Solís' TIME OFF; Joseph Castelo's THE WAR WITHIN; Barlen Pyamootoo's BENARES; Yorgos Lanthimos's KINETTA; Bae Youn Suk's DO U CRY 4 ME ARGENTINA?; Annie Griffin's FESTIVAL; Stephen Woolley's STONED; Li Yu's DAM STREET; Brillante Mendoza's THE MASSEUR; Maria Procházková's SHARK IN THE HEAD; and Tom Zuber's LITTLE ATHENS. Wavelengths features 24 films and videos from eight countries in five programmes. This year's line-up includes: solo spotlights featuring Ute Aurand and Ernie Gehr; a restored print of Manoel de Oliveira's first film, DOURO, FAINA FLUVIAL (1931) with live piano accompaniment; and Michael Snow's latest work, SSHTOORRTY, with his 1967 masterpiece, WAVELENGTH. Wavelengths also showcases new works by Kenneth Anger, Peter Tscherkassky, Matthias Müller, Julia Meltzer, and David Thorne, among others.

It is quite astonishing for a festival this late in the year to accumulate that many World and/or North American premieres. TIFF has grown in just about every way imaginable in the last few years, and it's ready to challenge Berlin and Venice as long as it establishes an Official Competition.

The festival started a couple of hours ago. My first day there will be tomorrow with 2 scheduled screenings.

Review

L'ENFER

Programme: GALA (World Premiere)

Last edited by arsaib4; 07-01-2006 at 09:26 PM.

arsaib4, your excellent review certainly whets the appetite especially since I've been a fan of Kieslowski's work for a long time.

Strange and slightly confusing though, two films called L'enfer starring Emmanuelle Beart, although this is obviously very different from the older film.

Cheers Trev.
    The more I learn the less I know.

Thanks, Trev. I was gonna write something short but then I realized that there were quite a few areas to discuss. Sign of a good film, I guess. I think you'll like it.

Yeah, you're right about the title. Chabrol's 1994 film with Béart was also called L'Enfer. Her husband was jealous of her in that film, and it's the other way around here, but yes, overall they're quite different.

Michael Almareyda: William Eggleston in the Real World Documentary about the great American color photographer. More on this later.

Gael Morel: Three Dancing Slaves/Le Clan More on this later too.

Re-saw: Jim Jarmusch: Broken Flowers. For me, it held up very well.

Review

GABRIELLE

Programme: VISIONS (N. American Premiere)

Last edited by arsaib4; 07-01-2006 at 09:28 PM.

arsaib, I'm not going to read Gabrielle yet because I'm going to see it here in NYC.... I will exchange comments with you later, i hope.

I look forward to discussing it with you. I also saw L'Enfant, a film I'm sure we'll get into sooner or later.

Have you posted a comment on L'Enfant?
    My NYFF capsule reviews will be going up very soon. You may find them a bit tight-lipped, but limitations of space and time required that they be that way. We can have lengthier discussions of the films with US release dates when they come out, beginning with the American ones out or about to come out, Capote; Good Night, and Good Luck; Soderbergh's Bubble, and The Squid and the Whale.

It's good to hear from you again. No, I haven't posted on L'Enfant yet. Still have a few more to go since I decided to talk about the films in detail.

Capote was a big hit at Toronto. Didn't get to watch it but everyone was raving about the lead performance. The Squid and the Whale sounds promising. Noah Baumbach also wrote The Life Aquatic, I think. I've been reading your short takes so I'm pretty much upto date. Looking forward to discussing the films with you after you get back. Enjoy your trip!

FERRARA; HOU

Also, it happens to be his best film since Bad Lieutenant (1992) even though I realize that’s not saying much.
    Could you reconsider that last statement? Bad Lieutenant is powerful stuff; I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
    It's good to read that Hou's THREE TIMES is attracting some interest.
    Yes, it won't be a big hit, probably, but it's certainly worth more than 99% of the stuff out there. I agree with most of your comments on it. I actually have yet to see Millenium Mambo, but I will when I get a chane to get a DVD of it.

I was referring to his other work since Bad Lieutenant: films like Body Snatchers, Dangerous Game, The Blackout, New Rose Hotel, 'R Xmas etc. Some of them are simply awful.

As for Hou's film, it probably won't be a "hit," but I hope it gets a theatrical release here. Btw, his previous film, Cafe Lumiere, is going straight-to-DVD in December.

Review

L'ENFANT

Programme: MASTERS (N. American Premiere)

Last edited by arsaib4; 07-01-2006 at 09:36 PM.

You're not alone. There were those at the NY press screening that didn't buy it. They felt that Bruno's "redemption" (a word used in at least one review) was far too easy. But in my view this is a misreading because he is not really redeemed. The ending, of the main character meeting his girlfriend and helplessly weeping in detention, isn't really upbeat, though it may be cathartic. He may be acknowledging that he did wrong, or he may merely be unhappy, an impulsive child who has wrecked his life. I would differ with you in considering this as a "pat resolution," but I understand how you could see it that way, as others also have done. You're on solid enough ground in making that claim. I don't think you're quite as irrefutable when you say that the action is not compelling. The action is both compelling, and frenetic, and the energy of the actor, his successful involvement in his role, contribute majorly to that.

When a team make a series of very similar films, the educated audience is going to cherry pick retroactively, preferring the earlier films when the preoccupations and methods were all fresher and newer to them, and in time will perhaps tend to lose interest in the whole project. In fact the Dardennes' work -- as you agree -- is extremely consistent in quality in both senses. Audience-friendliness, if that is really what L'Enfant has -- and the heavy poster campaign for it in Paris might indicate that expectation for the francophone audience -- isn't a minus at all.

So I don't agree with your evaluation, but there are others as discerning as you who agree on your reservations.

I think the most interesting thing you say is that Bruno is "not as interesting a character, emotionally or psychologically, as one would like him to be." I think that's quite right, but I don't see that as a fault, but a part of the film's truth. These lives are not interesting, they are sad and wasteful. The trick -- a good trick -- on the Dardennes' part is to draw us into the lives of their people even though they and their lives are not "interesting" in conventional storytelling or cinematic senses. This is arguably true of the people in Bruno Dumont's two powerful films too. The action, though, is "interesting," because it has a hysterical edge, even an edge of tragedy. All in all, your remark that Bruno is uninteresting is a very interesting one.

(I didn't get a chance to hear the Dardennes speak either.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast