Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Fails Again

I haven't been much of a contributor on these political threads, but let's give it a try. I hope no one feels insulted.
    I don't see Bush as the problem.
    He is only the symptom.
    The problem is us, the people of the USA.
    I came to this conclusion after the last election.
    One could argue his party stole the election in 2000 (at least in my state) or that Gore's campaign "sucked", or the voters didn't know quite who they were voting for in 2000.
    Let's face it. The People went to the polls last November, and voted Bush into office again knowing quite well what we were getting.
    It's time to look at ourselves in the face and admit who we are as a nation, and ponder what can be done about it. I would bet that if the election is held again in a couple of months the same gentleman is likely to win again.
    In response to Justafied stating "maybe the Dems can retake the House...", I'll say that at least the Dems embrace the country's diversity and would keep the country from further regression. But when it comes to issues like corporate welfare and campaign reform, for instance, the Dems are as blind and backward as the Republicans. And none of the top leaders of the party has demonstrated courage and conviction in denouncing the warmongering.
    I'm forever condemned to voting for third party candidates who don't stand a chance because the rules are stacked against them. (Although I voted for the Democrat for the first time in 12 years in 2004, as an anti-Bush gesture).
    Any thoughts by the more politically astute minds on this site would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Chris Knipp
    Except that it's even better, the neocons think, to tear things down and build them back up, because that's highly profitable.
    Exactly. The economic machine keeps humming and the profits soar. Middle class America is appeased because their 401(k) accounts get bigger. No one gives a thought to cause and effect.

Originally posted by Johann
    I've often wondered why the process of impeachment seems taboo
    Well, it certainly wasn't taboo when Clinton was impeached for a little white lie involving getting a blowjob in the Oval Office. That was an impeachable offense, but the massive lying/misinformation effort on Iraq wasn't? And how about Rove apparently getting away with outing the identity of the undercover CIA agent?

There's a double-standard in our society today, and anyone complaining of a "liberal" media doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

Originally posted by oscar jubis
    The problem is us, the people of the USA.
    I came to this conclusion after the last election.
    I completely agree, Oscar. Of course, there were many of us who didn't vote for Bush, but it was unbelievable that he was reelected after all the fiascos of his first term.

I consider the Democrats to be the lesser (far lesser) of two evils, and it's a matter of stopping the hemorrhaging at this point. A Democrat controlled House and Senate in 2006 is the first step in restoring some semblence of normalcy.

By the way, Oscar, I was in your fair city of Miami this past weekend. The weather was a little dreary (we got a heavy downpour on a trip to Key Largo on Sunday) but it was still an enjoyable visit. I wanted to catch a flick there, 2046 was showing at a theater in South Beach and I thought my friend would enjoy it, but we couldn't fit it in. Which movies theaters in the area do you recommend? My friend lives in the north Miami area.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JustaFied
    it's a matter of stopping the hemorrhaging at this point. A Democrat controlled House and Senate in 2006 is the first step in restoring some semblence of normalcy.

You're right.

By the way, Oscar, I was in your fair city of Miami this past weekend. The weather was a little dreary (we got a heavy downpour on a trip to Key Largo on Sunday) but it was still an enjoyable visit.

I'm glad you still enjoyed your visit. The weather is glorious from mid-Nov to mid-May. Miami is habitable the rest of the year only because of the invention of air conditioning.

I wanted to catch a flick there, 2046 was showing at a theater in South Beach and I thought my friend would enjoy it, but we couldn't fit it in.

Sounds like you were busy. Maybe next time you visit you have time to have a beer or coffee with me. I'd like that very much.

Which movies theaters in the area do you recommend? My friend lives in the north Miami area.

*The Intracoastal, part of the independent chain Sunrise Cinemas, is the best in North Miami.

*From North Miami, it is a short drive to Cinema Paradiso (just south of downtown Fort Lauderdale), run by the Fort Lauderdale Film Society.

*The theatre on South Beach that you mentioned is the SoBe Regal, the best multiplex in Miami. An exceedingly beautiful building too.

*The Wolfsonian Museum in SoBe and Miami Art Central (also a museum) in Coral Gables have excellent year-long film series.

*The Miami Beach Cinematheque is expensive ($10), has poor projection, and specializes in "marginalia". But where else can one watch films like Todd Haynes' Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story.

*The best place to watch movies in Miami is the Cosford Cinema, located in the campus of the U of Miami. It's a 1/2 hour or so from North Miami but it's cheap($4-6), with great projection and sound, great programming, and free parking. A purist's paradise: no food or drink sold and none allowed.

Originally posted by oscar jubis
    [Sounds like you were busy. Maybe next time you visit you have time to have a beer or coffee with me. I'd like that very much.
    Me too. It's a deal. I may be back later this fall.

So apparently Miami doesn't have any "art house" movie theaters, other than the Cosford? That's surprising. Houston's got a couple from the Landmark Theaters chain - each one has three theaters, and it's a nice change of pace from the multiplex. I've seen a few films recently, just haven't had time to post thoughts. I was somewhat disappointed in Jarmusch's Broken Flowers, though. When did he become so solemn?

Best of luck.

Originally posted by JustaFied
    So apparently Miami doesn't have any "art house" movie theaters, other than the Cosford?
    OK, I guess the Cinematheque and Cinema Paradiso (among others) would qualify under this category. The Cinematheque in particular sounds interesting - I'll try to check it out next time I'm there. Also interested in seeing the South Beach theater, at least for the decor. Some of the neon in that area can be a little bit over the top, though...but I like all the art deco buildings.

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by JustaFied
    [B
    Well, it certainly wasn't taboo when Clinton was impeached for a little white lie involving getting a blowjob in the Oval Office. That was an impeachable offense, but the massive lying/misinformation effort on Iraq wasn't? And how about Rove apparently getting away with outing the identity of the undercover CIA agent?[/B]

This is on my mind too JustaFied.
    Why is Bush so feared by the media and the public?
    Did all his war-mongering and 1984 scare-tactics and terror threats turn everyone into scaredy-cats? Into weak cowering ninnies?

As I said before, the American people should storm the gates.
    The "Enemy at the Gate" is gleefully controlling your future, your treasury, your laws, it's a fucking POLICE STATE in the U.S.

But Clinton was pardoned, wasn't he?
    He was forgiven for his crime, just like Nixon.
    Can you believe that Gerald Ford let Nixon off the hook?
    Nixon was run out of office, a bonafide crook, and old Gerald pardoned him!

It's an old boys club, an "old rich man's" leadership.

But when Bush senior was sworn in in the late 80's, even the horrific Nixon said "He's a lightweight. He's the kind of guy you appoint to something".

Bush may be the symptom, but he's taken advantage of the people by playing on their emotions, mis-leading and dis-info-ing
    to the point of heartbreak.

It's so frustrating that it almost makes one want to drop out of society and become a vigilante. Live in the hills, honing your sniper skills....Polishing the brass on the jacketed round that will pierce through Bush's soft skull...

OOPS! sorry! Did I say that out loud? I Apologize.

I'm such an INFIDEL!
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Johann
    It's so frustrating that it almost makes one want to drop out of society and become a vigilante. Live in the hills, honing your sniper skills....Polishing the brass on the jacketed round that will pierce through Bush's soft skull...

OOPS! sorry! Did I say that out loud? I Apologize.

I'm such an INFIDEL!
    Hey, wait a minute, you don't even live here do you? What are you getting so worked up about? It's not your fault America is the way it is. Just enjoy your freedoms in Canada, and hope they don't come extradite you for improper thoughts. 1984, maybe...

Don't go Travis Bickle on us, J...

I won't go Travis Bickle on anybody.
    Trust me I'm not leaving Canada anytime soon.

How can a Canadian who shouldn't give two shits get so worked up?
    I could just say "Fuck 'em. Not my problem- the Yanks deserve to die. Let 'em rot. They elected the psycho".

Dunno. It's just the beast in me, as Elvis said.

Halliburton. At it again..

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/40525
    Last edited by Johann; 09-15-2005 at 03:46 PM.

These motherfuckers are "proud to serve the government in this time of crisis" by prying gold fillings from the corpses of the poor to make luxury yachting watches!
    Sure sign of a society in a state of decay. Don't say later that you didn't see it coming.

You can't be serious?

Cheers Trev.
    The more I learn the less I know.

It's The Onion, oscar.

Calm down. Have some dip.

I could turn into Travis Bickle any minute now!
    Drivers of Yukons and Hummers with "W" bumperstickers be forwarned.
    Then again, given the lack of ganja, I'm gonna pour some merlot and chill.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast