Thread: No Direction Home

Hybrid View

Thank you, Oscar. As I suggested in my eulogy/review of the documentary, I see this stubborn resistence to being pigeon-holed as a sign of the largeness of Dylan's genius, hence I compare him to Picasso and Coltrane in that regard, as one who went through many phases or periods in his work.

It may be that popular acceptance of "folksingers" who sang of protest was just peaking when Dylan moved in another direction, and that's why the kids on the UK tour act so het up.

I don't find it relevant what he has to say about it now. It's like Martin Luther King had lived to 75 and looked back and said I never wanted to be a civil rights leader and that isn't really who I am.
    That is completely unbalanced. However disappointed you are that Dylan took a non-political path, Howard, the truth is his current remarks are very germane, acute, and obviously aware of and in touch with his earlier self. I also noted that in my review. It is clear as Oscar notes commenting on "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan," Dylan's most political songs were merely intense moments, even at first, and were never his single focus overall as a songwriter. It was his 'fate' to be so good at everything he did, then, that people thought he should do it always, but he was moving on.
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-03-2006 at 09:32 AM.