Thread: Film heresy?

Film heresy?

Is it film heresy to say that I prefer both "Star Wars" and "The Godfather" as opposed to the second films in their respective trilogies?

Sara Guest
    No. Not heresy. I agree with you.

The first Star Wars (1978?) has a real magic about it which I felt was missing in all the later ones.

As for the Godfather, I loved both 1 and 2, but thought 3 was very below the others.

Maybe that's the way a lot of books/movies seem to be - the first one is pure magic, then the sequels - well, they're just sequels...

And though I thought all of Lord of the Rings trilogy was good, somehow nothing ever came up to the opening of the Fellowship and the early scenes in the Shire.

Right now I am wondering which sequels are actually better than the original.

Sara

When it comes to film appreciation, I've always believed it's all a matter of opinion and personal taste. I like the sequels of Godfather and Star Wars more, but that doesn't make me right or wrong. To answer Sara, these are some sequels I personally like better than the first installments: Bride of Frankenstein, Aliens, Terminator II, Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban, That's Entertainment III, Innocence: Ghost in the Shell 2, and others I can't recall right now.

Sara Guest
    Well, oscar, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the Bride of
    Frankenstein being better than Frankenstein. It is one of my favorites.

Sara

The first Godfather is the best, although in the case of Star Wars I'm of the unpopular opinion that Return of the Jedi is the best.

As for the Lord of the Rings, I enjoyed the Two Towers the most.