Thread: Something Old, Something New

Something Old, Something New

Those who love classic film or just film classics were lucky enough to have two of them released this week, “The Wizard of Oz,” in a three disc collector’s edition, and “Titanic” also in a special three disc collector’s edition.

The Wizard of Oz is a very special film for persons my age. Showcased on television for years as an annual event, this was one of the first films that presented that incredible moment when the drab dreary world of black and white magically transformed to color. I know of many cases in the late 1950’s and early 60’s where people were actually motivated to buy a color television, just so they could see The Wizard of Oz in color. Truly! This movie became such a part of our lexicon, many my age actually know entire passages of the film by heart (“I’ll get you my pretty! And your little dog, too!”). We know the songs. We know the lines. We know the music. Every time I hear that open music set against the lion’s roar I get chills. While the film and its presentation have grown dated in the age of CGI, there is magic when Judy Garland sings “Over the Rainbow” that will never age.

The DVD treatment is superb. The print is practically flawless (oh, what big money won’t buy), and the soundtrack is clear and lustrous. Having performed print timing I can tell you about 95% of the artifact has been removed from that print. Naturally, I turn down the color for the beginning. I still like seeing it in black and white and not sepia toned. One disc is the film with another rather studious narrative attached. The second has several versions of ‘how it all came to be.’ The third disc delves into the background of the author, Louis Frank Baum, a Renaissance man from the turn of the century. A bit overpriced at $49.95, I shelled it out and am glad I got this and not the two-disc version released at the same time.

Titanic is the brainchild of James Cameron. His filmography jumps all over the place from aliens to robots. However I believe that when he did Abyss, the wheels for Titanic probably started to roll.

Cameron, as was the case with Peter Jackson, pictured an enormous undertaking, setting out to recreate the sinking of the Titanic told on a scale never attempted prior. Having seen the wreck for himself in the depths of the Atlantic, Cameron couldn’t see anyway to represent the ship in its proper scale without recreating it nearly as large. The end result after months of work by skilled craftsperson’s created the largest most detailed set piece ever constructed for a motion picture, and its up there on the screen. Basically, all he had left to do was insert the tragedy. The story sold itself. When the film premiered the size and minutia of the great ship dazzled us all. The story is a bit sappy and could probably be referred to as the ultimate “chick flick,” but I think in labeling it so I would be doing the rest of the film an injustice. There is a great story to tell here. In a series of vignettes, Cameron displays a touching portrait of the various classes crossing the Atlantic with great hope in their hearts, only to have it end so horribly.

The DVD treatment contains everything you’d want in a great treatment; behind the scenes stuff, outtakes, recollections from survivors, and a hilarious gag reel; one of the best I’ve ever seen, full of mirth as well as a tribute to the huge supporting staff. The print is so clear, the sound resplendent in 5.1 surround, and the story mesmerizing. Priced right under $20 in discount stores can’t be beat. I enjoyed just watching the film again to look more closely at the detail Cameron so lovingly added and insisted on for the sake of authenticity.

While many on this site would argue correctly there are other more important films out there made by this Japanese director or that French one (I admire everyone’s input on this site), I still feel these films have a place along side those stories in the history of the medium. Thanks for the read.

I think even the most cynical would find something to appreciate in Titanic. Like you said, it’s not perfect, but watching it on the opening day with a sold-out audience was a great experience. I’ve never seen the film on DVD so I’m looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, it’s funny that you mentioned Peter Jackson. His upcoming King Kong is arguably the “biggest” film we’ve had since Titanic. I read somewhere that the studio is going forward with the over-budgeted, 3-hr version, so it should be interesting.

I saw the trailer for Kong @ MirrorMask, and it looks great.

It is a Hollywood Christmas blockbuster, but it's made by a man who knows a thing or two about filmmaking...

The war for your dollars when Santa flies in is between
    Narnia and Kong.

I saw the new DVD release for Oz, and like you cinemabon I'm very happy. (I didn't buy it but a friend of mine who goes to VFS did- we watched the whole thing in a 7-hour night).

The Wizard of Oz ranks very high in film history and it always will.
    Movies like that just don't get made anymore.

Victor Fleming was an old master, a studio godhead in the 30's.
    Spielberg worships him.

It's kinda hard to get cinephiles to give it up for films like Oz, GWTW or The Quiet Man.

Not manly enough?
    Not cool enough?

Park it Chachi.

If you know cinema, if you REALLY claim to know, then you know that films like that (including Titanic) don't hold box-office records for nothing.

They tap into the collective psyche, and I understand the natural desire to mock or snicker at them. Those filmmakers "took the easy BIG way out". So many other films and filmmakers deserve the attention...

It's easy to dismiss them-I'm prone to doing it all the time- but when the dust settles, people like Cameron and Victor Fleming have achieved something quite substantial.

James Cameron is far from my favorite filmmaker, but he's done it all, like Oliver Stone. Oscars, world-renowned fame- I just talked to a guy from the Phillpines at the Amsterdam cafe who's favorite film is Scarface. But not for Brian DePalma- for OLIVER STONE. He knew that Stone wrote that script! We talked about how great a director Stone is and how he loves van- his first time in this city. That's what it's all about.
    Cinema speaks to people all over the globe.
    People respond to big movies, no matter how empty they are.

Star Wars, LOTR, Spy Kids, Harry Potter. Even Scooby-Doo.

These types of movies will always have a wide audience and will always make scads of money.While people like Larry Kent, Stan Brakhage and Chris Marker remain known only to serious film students.

If I only had a brain
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

It's too bad Victor Fleming only directed part of this film. Most of the black and white portion of the film was indeed directed by Fleming. However, just as the technicolor part went into action, David O Selznik grabbed Fleming and dragged him over to the Gone With The Wind sets to begin that production (a massive undertaking). Producer Mervyn LeRoy and director King Vidor quietly finished the picture. LeRoy is seldomed mention but without him Oz would have never finished on time if slightly over budget.

As improperly reported, the film was a success its first year garnering a large box office and wide audience acceptance. However, so much money had been laid out for the production, MGM did not realize a complete profit for nearly ten years when it was subsequently re-released.

The trailers for Kong do look sumptuous.

Post Script: Victor Fleming didn't finish GWTW either. He suffered a mental breakdown during production and went into convalescence. He eventually returned to the set, but several directors shot scenes in his absence, including George Cukor, Sam Wood and even Selznick took an occasional hand to keep the production on schedule.