Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Squid and the Whale

Originally posted by Chris Knipp
    The story is just somewhat broadly, wryly depicted. I think you're both trying to interpret the characters a little bit more than the fairly lightweight manner of the screenplay will permit.
    Overall, it's a very good screenplay. A flawed one in my opinion, yet still very good. You obviously disagree with the L.A. Film Critics Assoc., The NY Film Critics Assoc. and the National Board of Review naming it Best Screenplay of 2005.

Yes I do, but I don't think it's a bad screenplay, what made you think that? There's nothing wrong with a story being "somewhat broadly, wryly depicted," that is true of all Jim Jarmusch and I think he's one of our great ones. I just think TSATW has been somewhat overrated from the start. The same was true of Sideways, it was (in that case, terribly) overrated, but it didn't mean it wasn't a good movie with a good screenplay and excellent acting. People overract to the fact that I say a movie is overrated, and they think I am condemning it. I am not. The fact that you can't read a whole volume on adolescent development and marital relations from this movie doesn't mean it's no good.

Thanks for the clarification, Chris.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12