Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Thomas: Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Kiera Knightley, arguably the most beautiful woman in the world is supposed to be the 2nd prettiest sister? Hard to believe, and although Rosamund Pyke is very easy to look at, well Miss Knightley has got her beat.

You're right, and that's a flaw, isn't it? Not necessarily in terms of a comparison with her sister, but Austen's Elizabeth relies more on her intelligence and quick-wittedness. That's not to say that Knightley's chararcter doesn't, however, her beauty tends to overshadow her other qualities. Having said that, the actress is certainly "worth watching."

The directing largely isn't there, not in Jane Austen's terms: character development. Nobody really develops. Mathew MacFadyen is a young man who looks glum, and he looks that way all through. He doesn't really seem haughty and nasty at first, just like a man who can't dance.

True.

However, Pride and Prejudice is perhaps the most visually arresting adaptation made so far; DP Roman Osins' work is simply fantastic. It is also the most faithful among the versions I've seen: Bride and Prejudice (2004) and P&P (1940) are the others (I'd really like to see the mini-series).

It has come to my attention that the final scene in the film was only added for the U.S. release. It was not present in the version released in Europe.

I heard that as well. The only other two people in the theater with us said that it was not from the book, so I can understand that. But come on, they just had to kiss, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12