Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Ten

Top Ten

Certainly somebody had to start this thread... it's that time.

For me, the best film of 2005 is...

1. Good Night and Good Luck - I only hope it is not over shadowed by my second pick

2. Brokeback Mountain - I put it high on the list although I still haven't seen it yet. (Looks like Heath's year)

3. Munich - Speilberg is back in the frey, making up for War of the Worlds

4. King Kong - I still like this film, although I know many on this site do not. Jackson deserves the credit.

5. History of Violence - generated more talk this year than practically any film

6. The Constant Gardener - underrated work of art

7. The Chronicals of Narnia - sorry, I'm a huge fan of the genre

8. Lords of Dogtown - Did I mention I used to live in Venice Beach? (Ledger rides again!)

9. The Squid and the Whale - too close to home

10. Syriana - probably the most controversial film of the season

cinemabon has a strong list of candidates but...

I understand your selections for top movies and solid reasons can be put forth for each of them. I'm glad to see Munich (that was left out for Best Picture by the Golden Globes), History of Violence , and Chronicles of Naria that was felt was more intimate and personal than Harry Potter this year.

As for Syriana , I can sympathize with the politically correct (against big oil) statement in this movie and I don't know if this movie is so much as controversial (as any might be), the same could be argued for Crash, Munich , even Brokeback Mountain. The script and plot outline for George Clooney, even though he received a best supporting acting nod from the Golden Globes for Syriana was for me an unbelievable character however it was performed that didn't rise to the level of my expectations for this role and actually took it out of the running for my top ten list, along with the confusing, diffused storylines that I thought were one too many and stretch the movie too thin in plot development compared to Traffic (2000).

King Kong has strong support from many critics and public audience members, however, it just doesn't hold up under close cinematic examination and severely lowers the bar for future movies - it doesn't help enhance the quality of movies when this movie could have been so much better in terms of performances and script coherence and emotional drama.

Good Night, and Good Luck was hurt by the inclusion of the employment couple subplot that detracted from the movie without adding anything. However, I wholly support, David Strathairn's nomination for best actor by the Golden Globes, he didn't a masterful job.

I really can't comment on the other films such as I didn't see them.

I hardly consider The Constant Gardener underrated. The film got great reviews from nearly every source. Matter of fact I found it overrated. I'm always suspicious of doing these lists at year's end, considering many of the best films (persumably) still haven't been released. Having not seen the New World, Match Point, or Munich I can't necessarily say my list is solid, but have seen more than enough of your picks to criticize, and likewise my list contains plenty of films that probably wouldn't make most people's lists. I found it amazing this year that the best films all seemed to come out earlier in the year. I've included two films from 2004 just because they weren't released in the US, or at least in Chicago until well into 2005.

1. Sin City (Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller, Quintin Tarantino)
    I'm amazed this film hasn't shown up on more critics top ten lists this year. I mean to me this set the bar so ridiculously high for comic book movies (and what can be done on a green screen) that I fear no film derived from graphic novel or comic origins can ever measure up. It is graphically violent noir with humor, sexuality, and just downright entertaining. Rodriguez who seemed a little lost in recent years more than makes up for any Shark Boy and Lava Girl with this masterful stroke of genius, and who knew Frank Miller could direct?

2. Serenity (Joss Whedon)
    One almost has to see Firefly to truly appreciate this film. Without the series the movie is great, but with that nearly 14 hours of extra character development, you can really appreciate the evolution of the story. You can cheer River finding her own, you can lament the death of Wash, and you can relax that for once Simon acts like a man. This is a movie masterfully shot, and tragic at the same time, not so much for the character we lost, but for the end of the Firefly saga, one that should have lasted much longer. I can only hope that the DVD world will be kind to this, just as they have to Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer series. Arguably the best directing debut I've seen in a long time (Miller notwithstanding)

3. Crash (Paul Haggis)
    Speaking of directorial debuts, Paul Haggis less than a month away from his Oscar win for the Million Dollar Baby script makes his own forray into feature films as a director. It is very tough to pull off the subgenre of the ensemble picture, and although Sin City was one of a much smaller nature, Crash is a sprawling world of entertwining lives and characters where nearly every story is brilliantly crafted. Haggis made a monumental film that somehow manages to be subtle.

4. Pride and Prejudice (Joe Wright)
    Literary adaptations can always be tricky, and remakes are almost always frowned upon, but somehow a film that probably had no business being made wound up in my top five. Joe Wright directs Pride and Prejudice not like a Hollywood player, but as a European auteur. His camera never ceases to move, and his characters particularly Macfayden and Knightley manage to convey such a smoldering passion that you feel will explode at any moment. The romantic film of the year, the period picture of the year, and the best remake of the year.

5. The World (Jia Zhang-ke)
    Since seeing this remarkable film I have been witness to two additional Zhang-ke films, and those two films may not be superior but they firmly remind me what a triumph The World is. A story of multiple people isolated and disillusioned in a nation rapidly losing it's identity. Again told with long takes and terrifically subtle acting, this film more than fulfills the prophecy of Zhang-ke being China's most important director working today.

6. Last Days (Gus Van Sant)
    After leaving the nearly deserted theater I wondered if I really even enjoyed this film. Coming after the remarkably high mark of Elephant, I wasn't sure if Van Sant had topped himself, or merely repeated what he already accomplished. As I left and over the next few days I realized what a remarkable film this was. One that stayed with me, with indelible imagery, and moments that I will likely never forget. Michael Pitt is an actor I never would have believed in, but he manages to mumble his way to the best performance he's likely to ever give. The music as well is astonishing, in it's own very simple way. I only wish more people could have seen this, for I fear Van Sant may soon return to his career as a Hollywood hack.

7. Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch)
    After nearly a decade of sparse production and forgettable films Jarmusch returns with his funniest and possibly best film with this. Bill Murray who seems to make one great film for every bad one, is in top form, and I can scarcely imagine any one else being half as good as him in this film. A modern road movie, with "A stalker in a Taurus". A joyful movie, that I found wonderful.

8. The Weeping Meadow (Theo Angelopoulus)
    Well I had to wait a year to finally see this film, which had only a one week run in the city of Chicago. After seeing it I knew that Angelopoulus was quite possibly the best filmmaker in the world. I guess it's obvious that I'm a fan of long takes, especially involving intricate camera movments, but Angelopoulus takes that to a new form of art. From the opening shot you know this is classic, and the rest of the film is sprawling, ambitious, and truly emotional.

9. Nobody Knows (Hirokazu Kore-eda)
    The first great film I saw this year, remains a particular favorite. A depressing tale, that more than matches the prophecy shown by Kore-eda in his previous two features. This man is leading the charge for Japanese cinema, and this film for all it's heartbreaking glory, is one that I'll cherish. Perhaps not as philosophically profound as After Life, but what this film lacks in it's thought provoking abilities it makes up for in emotional weight.

10. Fever Pitch (Peter Farrelly, Bobby Farrelly)
    This may not be one of the ten best films this year, but I had to include it, as I made a promise to myself. Fever Pitch seemed corny and far fetched after I left the theater. I enjoyed it, laughed at it, rooted for it, but generally thought it merely decent. But as you may remember this film came out in April, just as baseball was kicking up. I spent the next six months religiously devoted to Chicago's two professional teams, and at nearly every game attended or watched I recalled moments from this movie. And seeing my own White Sox win the world series, much in the way the Red Sox finally pulled through in this movie, it was all the more resonant. Perhaps in time people will be able to love this film as I have, but well there's a lot of hate for Drew Barrymore and more for Jimmy Fallon.

Also worth mentioning
    Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    Kung Fu Hustle
    King Kong

Originally posted by wpqx
    I'm always suspicious of doing these lists at year's end, considering many of the best films (persumably) still haven't been released. Having not seen the New World, Match Point, or Munich I can't necessarily say my list is solid

Yeah. I'm nowhere close to making lists for 2005 for that very reason.

It seems like every year there are more quality films, especially foreigns, docs and independents, on limited release. These films are not playing outside the top 10 metro areas, where most people live. A lot of folks don't have access to the many of the best movies until they come out on video. Moreover, the number of good-to-great films going straight to dvd keeps increasing. Michael Atkinson at the Village Voice has commented regarding the need to give consideration to films like Resnais' Not on the Lips and Jacques Rivette's The Story of Marie and Julien that went straight to dvd. Heck, it's not the ideal way of watching a movie but the present reality is that some great films are only finding distribution through home video. That fact doesn't mean such films must be neglected. (I know I'm being a bit tangential here). I'll try to watch as many 2005 releases as I can within the next month or so. Then I'll post lists for 2005. One thing I can tell you right now is that 2005 was a great year for English-language films: American (Hollywood and outside Hollywood), Brit, and foreigns released in English like Howl's Moving Castle and March of the Penguins.

*I like comments by cinemabon re:Narnia and wpqx re:Fever Pitch that imply our lists are personal and reflect individual predilections. The most surprising thing about the two lists so far isn't any title included, but the word "subtle" associated with Crash, Roger Ebert's favorite movie of 2005 btw.

wpqx's list

I'm an joyous to see your top three movies on your list (Sin City, Serenity, and Crash , the only ones coincidentally that I've seen, except for Feverpitch. While I can say that these movies, except for Crash, are not on my list, I can understand why they would stick out. I enjoyed all of them, though I found some problems with them. I respect your list and feel it's a good.

Tabuno: your list is also very good, and I hope that you provide a link to the thread you started earlier, or maybe you could also post your top ten here.

I'm very glad to see that so many specialty films have made the lists so far. Cinemabon's A History of Violence, The Constant Gardener, and Lords of Dogtown will all make mine (I credit Chris Knipp for promoting Dogtown).

Wpqx: I kowtow to you, my friend, for making an attempt to watch Jia's The World and Angelopoulos' The Weeping Meadow. These two Epics are certifiable masterpieces. Glad that you didn't forget about Crash (you too Tabuno), and appreciated its heightened social and emotional complexities. Manohla Dargis also loved Fever Pitch, so I'll make an attempt to watch it.

C.K.'S ROUGH-DRAFT BEST LISTS

I'm glad to see Lords of Dogtown coming up here, thanks for giving me credit for championing it. It will have to go on my best US list and also Mysterious Skin.. also Last Days. I'm not sure about Syriana. I don't think it's successful but I love the kind of movie it tries to be. I haven't seen Munich or Match Point. I like cinemabon's list a lot. wpqx has some original choices and gets credit for remembering some movies others have forgotten already. I have to wait till I get home and go over everything and ponder a bit more--in the Northern California rain--but here are my notes so far toward lists. Don't tell me some of them haven't been released here yet, I know that. Eventually I'll come up with ten of each of the main categories, and I like to have lists of Worst and Most Overrated too. One of my candidates for Most Overrated would have to be A History of Violence:

BEST MOVIES OF 2005

BEST FOREIGN
    2046 (Wong Kar Wai)
    The Beat That My Heart Skipped (Jacques Audiard)
    Being Julia (István Szabó)
    Caché (Michael Haneke)
    The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (Cristi Puiu)
    Los Muertos (Lisandro Alonso)
    Nobody Knows (Hirokazu Koreeda)
    The Sun (Aleksandr Sokurov)

BEST U.S.
    Brokeback Mountain (Ang Lee)
    Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch)
    Bubble (Steven Soderbergh)
    Capote (Bennett Miller)
    Good Night, and Good Luck (George Clooney)
    Junebug (Phil Morrison )
    Last Days (Gus van Sant)
    Lords of Dogtown (Catherine Hardwick)
    Mysterious Skin (Gregg Araki)
    Thumbsucker (Mike Mills)

BEST DOCUMENTARIES
    Boys of Baraka (Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady)
    Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog)
    Mondovino (Jonathan Nossiter)
    No Direction Home (Martin Scorsese)

BEST REVIVAL
    The Passenger (Michelangelo Antonioni)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 01-03-2006 at 11:27 PM.

I'll wait for your "official" list to make any comments. In terms of release dates, yes, many haven't opened here yet as you already know. But Being Julia is one film on the list that was released theatrically in 2004.

Maybe I should put Being Julia in a "should have listed for last year" list. I think I actually saw it in January of this year. But I am still tempted to include not yet released films because so many of my favorites this year are in that category. I will work on that too though. It's a work in progress.

My Top Ten List (relocated)

[Editorial comment: Grumble, grumble, grumble. OK so I posted this on "Favorite Films" Personally, I think that Forum title suits this discussion better. But democratic majority rules. So here's my earlier post].

The Top Movies of 2005
    My Personal Best 10 Movies of 2005 plus One

I started out this year believing that 2005 was going to be a pretty bleak or at least a mild year for quality movies and my opinon continued until the fall. But then with the few great movies that came out early in the year and then a number of quality movies that arrived in the winter, 2005 has turned out to be a solid year for significant, memorable movies. My list is based on several criteria - emotional intimacy, social impact, compelling comedy and/or drama. My list contains some art films but also some popular mainstream films rarely considered by critics or film buffs. Hopefully I've been able to pick out a good representation of each film categories.

1. North Country (2005). This powerful, compelling, and intimately involving movie regarding a woman miner played by Charlize Theron and first sexual harrassment class action lawsuit is consistently dramatic and inspirationally awesome in its performances and script. Place in the top ten of my most favorite movies of all time for its intensity, sincerity to its subject matter, and no holds barred manner in its presentation without cute, playful overplaying or exaggerated melodrama. Hits the perfect notes of great cinema.

2. Crash (2005). A hard-hitting ensemble movie involving the constant theme of racial stereotyping and hatred and the deadly consequences and the deeply emotional revelations of human relationships. This movie resembles Traffic (2000) in its harsh, penetrating action drama approach. This is Sandra Bullock's best performance to date.

3. Munich (2005). A powerful dramatic revenge thriller directed by Spielberg of Israeli efforts to assassinate those Palestinians who murdered their Olympic athletes in Munich. This is the tense, serious, personal story of a man whose government has him go undercover to kill these men.

4. Jarhead (2005). Among the best war movies - portraying the emotional underbelly of war starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Jamie Foxx. Like Black Hawk Down (2001) meets Lost in Translation (2003), this movie brings home the real feel of war in its most usual experience for many soldiers. An important experience for the lay public and our understanding of the life of our military overseas.

5. The Chronicles of Naria: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (2005). A fabulously looking, sincere, and well performed children's fantasy movie. The evil witch is one of the most memorable evil fantasy characters yet delivered on screen. The intimate characterization of the children, particularly among the brothers, the larger than life and powerful presentation of this fantasy provides both a strong subtext of intimate personal character development and conflict along with the larger political battle between armies.

6. Prime (2005). Likely the most wittiest, funniest and most sincere romantic comedies of the year. Starring Uma Thurman and Meryl Streep, has Meryl, a therapist, seeing Uma who begins a love relationship with Meryl's son in the movie. Unlike other more raunchy, sexist comedies this year, this comedy stands out for its sincerity and integrity to both humor, duel client/therapist relationships and personal family relationships.

7. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005). May be on the best young adult movies of the past several years, up their with Stand By Me (1986) and The Breakfast Club (1985). The movie has grat openness, addressing the emotional and psychological issues of growing up and are presented with sincere intensity.

8. Elektra (2005). Jennifer Garner's solo starring performance (after Daredevil) in a qualitatively superior superhero movie that offers excellent martial art scenes along with a strong, emotional, sensitive female storyline. This movie emphasizes substance and style, finesse with a strong fantasy backdrop over special effects and epic proportion, power and strength that I feel is even more potent that this year's more well-received Batman Begins.

9. Sin City (2005). A great looking live action graphic novel adaptation that brings into virtual reality the animated character drama of the imaginary fifties of male violence, strong women, and big heart only slowed down by unnecessary attempt to fill the screen with too many storylines.

10. The Weatherman (2005). A strong drama about a television weather man played by Nicolas who is going through the disruptive experience of divorce, his attempts a reconciliation, coping with challenging children, and a father played by Michael Caine who himself undergoes a life-altering experience. This movie is a Lost in Translation with substance, dramatic plot and deals sincerely and mostly honestly with its subject matter.

Honorable Mention

The History of Violence (2005). An apparently ordinary husband, father, and owner of a small town café becomes a hero that brings with it a mysterious man who threatens the man's rather ordinary but happy life. This is a graphically violent movie with strong sexual depictions that however bring to the screen a powerful issue about a person's life and connection to the past.

Other movies worthy of commendatory recognition include:

Good Night, and Good Luck, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, The Perfect Man, What the Bleep Do We Know?, The Ice Princess, Aeon Flux, Unleashed, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Elizabethtown

To be fair, I cannot say that I've had an opportunity or personal interest in seeing many other movies of potential award winning honors including:

Broken Flowers
    Brokeback Mountain
    Capote
    Cinderella Man
    The Constant Gardener
    The Corpse Bride
    Howls Moving Castle
    Enron
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Layer Cake
    Millions
    Murderball
    The New World
    Pride and Prejudice
    Proof
    Rent
    Shopgirl
    The Squid and the Whale
    The Upside of Anger
    Wallace and Gromit

My list of favorites

1. No Direction Home
    Martin Scorcese's documentary No Direction Home brings it all back home and allows us to relive those days when the world seemed ready to embrace a new morning. No Direction Home follows the career of Bob Dylan from his childhood in Hibbing, Minnesota to his motorcycle accident in 1966, highlighting the most creative years in his life and offering previously unseen footage of Dylan as a young man. It brings to life the promise of that period featuring concert performances by Dylan, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger Dave van Ronk, including scenes from the Newport Folk Festivals of 1963, 64, and 65 when Pete Seeger almost cut the chords on an electric Dylan. There is great music in the entire film and it is uplifting and wonderful but may be remembered only for its opening act, the act in which Dylan called us to greatness but denied his own.

2. Nobody Knows

Hirokazu Kore'eda's Nobody Knows is a film of deep compassion about four young children abandoned by their mother in a small apartment in Tokyo. Based on a real incident in 1988, the film was written, directed, produced, and edited by Kore'eda whose earlier films were introspective meditations on life and death. Though his latest film is primarily a coming-of-age film about the transformation of a pre-adolescent boy, no film I've seen in recent memory has filled me with as much sadness for the failure of modern society to provide a coherent set of values for people. While there have been other films about the alienation of big city life, they tend to be cold and impersonal and convey an emotional deadness. Such is not the case here where the children's natural vivacity and warmth make their closeness to each other more real and ultimately all the more heartbreaking.

3. Mysterious Skin

In Gregg Araki's powerful drama, Mysterious Skin, eight-year old Brian (George Webster) accounts for missing time by confabulating it with stories of alien abductions and sets out on a path to uncover long suppressed memories. This is not a film about alien abductions, however, but about inappropriate sexual seduction of children and its deleterious effect on their development. While it is often graphic and difficult to watch, it is a sensitive film, held together by authentic and heartfelt performances by Joseph-Gordon Levitt as Neil and Brady Corbet as Brian that allow us to connect with their open wounds. Mysterious Skin is an honest and compelling film in which there are no good guys and bad guys, just flawed people who act out their deep-seated needs in a harmful way.

4. The Holy Girl

The Holy Girl is a film in which the combination of budding adolescent sexuality and Catholic Sunday School sermonizing leads to confusion and trouble. Similar in style to Alain Cavalier's masterful Thérése, another film about religious fervor, The Holy Girl is an extremely intimate series of minimalist vignettes in which the story unfolds in glimpses and whispered conversations, in "a slow reverie of quick moments". There is no approval or disapproval of behavior, only a snapshot of events that the viewer is left to interpret. The Holy Girl is elusive and somewhat disorienting, yet it remains an extraordinary achievement, full of intensity and crackling tension, true to the way people act when they are dealing with feelings bubbling beneath the surface.

5. Caché

Austrian director Michael Haneke's spine-tingling Hitchcock-like thriller, Cache is a metaphor for the denial of French responsibility for the treatment of Algerians in its colonial past and its current treatment of immigrants. It is not until several minutes into the film, however, that we realize we are watching videotape sent by unknown persons to the family of Georges Laurent (Daniel Auteuil). Haneke is masterful in showing the murk that is hidden beneath the outward calm of our comfortable middle-class lives, a recurring theme in many of his films. The mystery of who sent the tapes increases as Haneke builds an unrelenting atmosphere of imminent danger in a low-key manner without the use of foreboding music or special effects. Caché is a superbly crafted, entertaining, and challenging film that makes us painfully aware of the consequences of the lack of individual responsibility and creepy paranoia of modern life and of Western arrogance toward people considered inferior.

6. Turtles Can Fly

Kurdish director Bohman Ghobadi's Turtles Can Fly, is a view of war from the inside of a Kurdish refugee camp close to the Iraq-Turkish border just prior to and during the U.S. invasion. There is no overt political message, yet the hundreds of parentless children in the film, many with broken limbs from exploding landmines, tell a story of war that transcends politics. The children live in a world that has no electricity and no schools and where watching television with a satellite dish is a luxury, especially when many of the channels are forbidden. Ghobadi's film is both a celebration of the innocence of children and a warning about the dangers they face from dictators, fascists, and over-zealous democrats. Far better than any CNN or El Jazeera news account possibly could relate, the story of the war is written in their soulful faces.
    7. The Merchant of Venice

William Shakespeare's controversial The Merchant of Venice is set in 16th century Venice and director Michael Radford relies on setting, mood, and realism to tell its story, rejecting lavish period costumes or a modern setting with rock music to appeal to a wider audience. Pacino's performance of Shylock, a Jewish moneylender and his bond to extract a pound of flesh from the wealthy merchant Antonio brings new vigor to the text and his often over-the-top persona is replaced with a gentler, more understated demeanor that brings understanding to his cause. Radford slices the play's three-hour length to a manageable two hours and eight minutes and also provides some historical background. Although the play is primarily a drama of hatred and revenge, there are touches of broad comedy as well. Shylock is definitely a caricature, but he is an ambiguous figure and there are many indications that Shakespeare views his flaws as human failings, not Jewish ones.

8. Crash

Urban society breeds fear, intolerance and lack of trust, especially of strangers of different ethnic backgrounds whom we see as potential threats rather than as people with problems similar to our own. In Crash, Paul Haggis has the vision to see the thread of common humanity that connects us beyond the socially conditioned fear. Crash is divided into several episodes and, as it unfolds, seemingly unrelated threads intersect to form a connection. Haggis has assembled an outstanding ensemble cast that includes Brendan Fraser, Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Ryan Phillipe and all are first rate. Though the film is gritty and confrontational, the music by Kathleen "Bird" York alleviates some of the shock and nastiness and reminds us that there is a divine melody always playing in the background of our lives. In his first directorial effort, Haggis has given us a crash course in confronting stereotypes and looking beyond outward appearances to see the humanity that people are capable of.

9. C.R.A.Z.Y.

Authentic and wildly inventive, Quebecois director Jean Marc-Vallée's C.R.A.Z.Y. covers a period of thirty years in the life of a suburban Catholic family and has a remarkable feeling for the era. Born on Christmas Day, 1960 Zachary Beaulieu is the second youngest of five sons. The adult Zac narrates the film and we see the world through his eyes as he learns to be true to himself the hard way. He tells us that the reason why he has always hated Christmas is because the holiday always overshadowed his birthday and because the presents he received were not those he really wanted. C.R.A.Z.Y. is more about being different in a conformist society and the struggle for self-awareness rather than just about being gay. As Vallée explains it, "the theme of the film is personal acceptance. It's about this struggle to express yourself and being honest in the moment".

10. Millions

In Millions, Danny Boyle and screenwriter Frank Cottrell Boyce have produced a delightful fantasy about children, faith, money, and idealism that sharply contrasts with standard children's movie fare based on fear and simplistic notions of good and evil. Danny Boyle employs enough cinemagic to transport us completely into the world of seven-year old Damian (Alex Etel), a pint-size miracle worker and his older brother Anthony (Lewis McGibbon) as they cope with disposing of a huge sum of money found near their play area. Actually, no special effects are needed, just being around the children is enough to convince us that there is magic in the world. Alex Etel as Damian turns in one of the best child performances I've come across in a long time. He's got a lot to handle in this film and pulls it off with much aplomb, allowing us to appreciate his generosity and compassion and be captivated by his wide-eyed innocence and charm.

11. Darwin's Nightmare

Slavery, colonization, genocide and civil war have marked the history of Africa. In Hubert Sauper's powerful documentary Darwin's Nightmare, we witness the latest humiliation -- globalization, euphemistically called the New World Order. Darwin's Nightmare is about fish, specifically the Nile Perch in Tanzania's Lake Victoria, but the theme is the exploitation of the natural resources of one country for the benefit of others. In this case, 500 tons of white fillets are caught each day, then exported to Europe to feed two million people each day while the villagers who cannot afford the perch are forced to live on the heads and carcasses that the factories have discarded. Darwin's Nightmare takes a strong stand but does not preach even though its images are often painfully direct. One of the most memorable scenes is of an African woman standing in the sun among the rotting fish carcasses and maggots claiming that her life is better than others, even though one eye has been clearly destroyed by ammoniac gases. This isn't Darwin's nightmare, it's our own.

12. Ae Fond Kiss

After a fracas at school in which a young Muslim girl is being chased by bullies, Roisin Hanlon (Eva Birthisle), a spunky young Irish woman who teaches music meets and begins a relationship with Casim Khan (Atta Yaqub), a Pakistani disc jockey in Glasgow clubs. Ae Fond Kiss is the third in the Glasgow series by director Ken Loach and screenwriter Paul Lavery. It is much lighter in tone than his previous films and is basically a romantic drama, though it has a great deal to say about issues of class, race, and religion and does so in a very forthright manner. The parents will not acknowledge that their children are living in a different world or encourage them to make their own choices. Though the story of star-crossed lovers has been told before, it has rarely been related with as much honesty, insight, and beauty.

OTHERS: Moolaade, The Tracker, Walk on Water
    "They must find it hard, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority" Gerald Massey

A very distinctive and personal list. Somehow I think Ae Fond Kiss is last year, but you can do what you like; I'm probably going to mention stuff that isn't out yet. Unfortunately I have not seen The Holy Girl, Turtles Can Fly, C.R.A.Z.Y., or Darwin's Nightmare, though I seriously wanted to see The Holy Girl and Darwin's Nightmare. I think The Merchant of Venice is very good, but I might not rate it that high; nor Millions, but the others that I have seen I think are excellent choices, particularly your first five (even though I haven't seen one, it sounded extremely good--somehow it has slipped by so far. Will see it, and Darwin's NIghtmare, definitely. Thank you. I'm still working on mine. I'm glad Caché made your list; it's on mine.

Originally posted by Chris Knipp
    A very distinctive and personal list. Somehow I think Ae Fond Kiss is last year, but you can do what you like; I'm probably going to mention stuff that isn't out yet. Unfortunately I have not seen The Holy Girl, Turtles Can Fly, C.R.A.Z.Y., or Darwin's Nightmare, though I seriously wanted to see The Holy Girl and Darwin's Nightmare. I think The Merchant of Venice is very good, but I might not rate it that high; nor Millions, but the others that I have seen I think are excellent choices, particularly your first five (even though I haven't seen one, it sounded extremely good--somehow it has slipped by so far. Will see it, and Darwin's NIghtmare, definitely. Thank you. I'm still working on mine. I'm glad Caché made your list; it's on mine.
    Thanks. There is a Jan 20th deadline for Cinescene so I have the option of adding or subtracting until then, but this is how it will probably end up. There are some that may be officially 2004 releases, but they opened here (or came out on DVD) for the first time in 2005.

I haven't seen Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, A History of Violence, The Constant Gardener and others so it still might change.
    "They must find it hard, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority" Gerald Massey

I haven't seen Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, A History of Violence, The Constant Gardener and others so it still might change.
    What about Munich? I had to see it, but now that I have, I'm frankly quite disappointed. I also was by The Constant Gardener and (considering all the raves about it) A History of Violence and to a lesser extent by Syriana, but NOT by Good NIght and Good Luck, which holds up I think, has class.

Well your list Howard has put me to shame, I realize that I might not be as knowledgable as I thought, although one or two films may have been released here in Chicago last year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast