Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Top Ten

I don't know if I'm surprised or disappointed that you and I had no similar films in our top tens this year Oscar. If I had excluded foreign films from my top ten, then King Kong would have made it and therefore we would see eye to eye on at least one, but quite a conflicting set of opinions on last year's offerings. Overall, I'd say last year did offer quite a few worthy films, and there are several films in your list that would be in the "bubbling under" category or honorable mentions if you would. Your 2004 list on the other hand is not remarkably far off from mine.

Okay, I'll comment....

We have some strong differences, but some strong agreements. You know I have avoided Yes and I guess I was put off from seeing Palindromes. I guess I'd have to admit King Kong just wasn't to my taste at all. I think History of Violence is overrated but I'm out on a limb in thinking that; all the hip critics and fans mention it, or even put it first. Anyway it is one that has to be seen -- and discussed. I like the majority of your choices, and would consider them among the 2005 films that had to be seen. Certainly we have quite different tastes as indicated by those differences, but we consider the same films when we make our choices. I don't think two people ever agree, and if they did it would be boring. We have previously disagreed on You and Me and Everyone. But I'm glad to see Brokeback, Capote, The New world (interesting and beautiful, even though I was ultimately disappointed), and Three Burials (though I saw it just recently and was satisfied to let my lists stand). I didn't see Separate Lies, partly because it was panned, secondarily because it just wasn't around long. Your next ten are all worthy, though I'm a bit surprised to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. As you can see from my lists I particularly like Mysterious Skin, Good Night...and Thumbsucker, and you know I liked The White Countess, The Squid and the Whale, and Syriana, even though I didn't rate them quite as high as you did. I can't quite see a pattern, but actually I think we agree on a lot, even though where we put them in order is different. And that's pretty normal.

I've already commented favorably on your documentary list. DVD's isn't a category I have considered. Except for Los Muertos and Stray Dogs I haven't seen your undistributed, just as you haven't seen some of mine that I think you may love. The other list -- that's 2004 and I don't know why you put it here. Again I agree on some, and strongly disagree on a few.

Chris and wpqx, thank you for your comments.

*It's time to reveal that I haven't seen some films on your lists. I missed Down to the Bone and 40 Shades of Blue. These did not or have not opened here: The Intruder, Innocence, Games of Love and Chance, and The Weeping Meadow (I'm a big fan of Mr. Angelopoulos, btw).

*Although not included on my list, I did enjoy some from wpqx's list: Sin City, Serenity, and Pride and Prejudice. For some reason, I am a bit surprised A History of Violence is not on your list. Curious as to your opinion. I most definitely did not like Crash or Last Days (which Chris also listed). I actually found the former borderline offensive and extremely crude conceptually.

*I've printed Chris' undistributed list to make sure I don't miss any opportunity to watch them if I get the opportunity, either at theatres or at home.

*I had Me and You... outside the Top 10 but a second viewing increased my appreciation for it. I happen to like it even more now than when we discussed it in these forums.

*Notice that Syriana, The White Countess and The Squid... are tied with others at #13. Very good movies, but not masterful or without flaws and limitations, in my opinion.

*Separate Lies received what I'd call "mixed reviews". Some prominent crits liked it a lot. It's a conventional film, but a particularly well-written one and features excellent performances. Fans of Woody's Brit-set film ought to check it out.

I didn't exactly create a list. I tend to pick one film that rises above the rest, and then mix all the other great ones together.

My pick for the best is King Kong. The sheer emotion that Jackson managed to convey on the screen caught me completely off guard and left me in tears. I hate to love this flick. How could a remake of a film that was already remade be so--beyond what it should be? I'm always at a loss for words when I talk about it. It's an homage to the original as well as a wave-in to the new era of cinematic beauty. I know that that's a pretty strong statement, but I really do feel very greatly for this film.

Crash is a film that truly speaks to everyone. Some may call it derivative and predictable, but for me the emotion it conveyed moved me. People put it off as simply stating that "Racism is bad." I feel it's so much more personal than that; it explores diversity as well as the common bonds that bring together all of humanity, no matter how negative.

Batman Begins was great for us fans. It made the story much darker and held its own in terms of originality.

Sin City was wonderful not only for its style, but for its precision structure. It followed the novels to a T and still brought something new to it.

Grizzly Man is the first film of Werner Herzog's that I've actually seen. If I were to pick only two films this year, this would be right alongside Kong. It was a powerful documentary that essentially offered you two opinions on life and pretty much allowed you to make your own input. I don't think Timothy Treadwell was insane; he was doing exactly what he made of life, and for that I admire him. He was aware of the risks and knew what he was doing, so I think people should stop knocking on him. Social ineptitude might have been his greatest flaw, perhaps.

Good Night, and Good Luck was so subtle and quiet that I was surprised at how much it struck me. I've always been a devout anti-McCarthyist, and I never knew about Murrow's legacy in this fashion. It's a tribute to what journalism can accomplish, which, sadly, doesn't appear to be a height that anyone can achieve today.

The Constant Gardener worked really well because of its mastery with the non-linear narrative. It certainly wasn't underrated in the international community, but I was surprised at the lack of support from many folks in America. I just hope it somewhat withstands the tests of time.

People seem to be just getting swept up in the notion of being topical and important, which isn't always what makes a great film. Sure, some of them worked, but the tsunami of importance that swept through Hollywood last year got fairly irritating; almost smug.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

i just want you to know that I read this and that we have a couple of strong points in common. I like what you said about Good Night, and Good Luck. And I'm impressed that you rate Grizzly Man so high--I also think it was one of the important movies of the year, one that says important things.

Oscar's preceding post mention of Crash has a sadder resonance in view of how the Academy Awards turned out.

Thanks for your input, H. Tree.
    *Now there's three of us who have listed King Kong as a Top 10 film. I thought it was the year's high point as far as movies-as-spectacle. I enjoyed Batman Begins, and I found Sin City worth watching purely because of visual style.
    *Your comments regarding Good Night and Good Luck lead me to believe you'd appreciate the doc Point of Order about the McCarthy/Army hearings. It's out on dvd.
    *Grizzly Man and Constant Gardener are also very good films. There are several Herzog docs available on video which you'd probably like also.
    *I hated Crash for several reasons. Actually I have more arguments against it now than when I posted about it back in May. I don't know that we want to resume the discussion though.

Dissenter

Loved Crash as one of the best movies of 2005.

Didn't like King Kong, Batman Begins, Constant Gardener.

I can only agree with Sin City and Good Night and Good Luck.

Originally posted by oscar jubis
    *Your comments regarding Good Night and Good Luck lead me to believe you'd appreciate the doc Point of Order about the McCarthy/Army hearings. It's out on dvd.
    What's that one flick called with Woody Allen about the Hollywood blacklist? I've never seen it, but it sounds intriguing.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

The Front, 1976.

I've had the opportunity last night to watch an outstanding documentary that had a limited release in the USA during 2005.
    I've added it to my TOP 10 Docs list.

It's called ANOTHER ROAD HOME. It was directed by Danae Elon, daughter of Israeli author Amos Elon, an ardent protester of the Occupation and the policies of the Israeli government, now living in exile in Tuscany. The film is about the director's search for the Palestinian man who took care of her from age 2 to her late teens, when the Elons lived in Jerusalem. Danae Elon tracks down "Musa"'s sons in Patterson, New Jersey whom she calls her "shadow brothers". Elon tracks down Musa in Palestine and he travels to the USA where the two families reunite. The film falls into the category of personal documentary but it explores the concept of homeland, and issues regarding the history and politics of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict from a fresh perspective. The film is not available on dvd as of now.

The SUNDANCE Channel is doing an excellent job of broadcasting otherwise unavailable fiction and documentary films. For example, tonight they are showing a now obscure film Isabelle Huppert made in
    Russia called Novodneniye AKA The Flood.

ANOTHER ROAD HOME

I saw previews for that here so it was shown in the Bay Area but I missed it. For sure it was shown in NYC of course. Never heard of the Huppert Russian project. I find her much better in French, though.

I thought I answered the question about that one flick called with Woody Allen about the Hollywood blacklist but it didn't get on, maybe I didn't push the SUBMIT button.

The answer would be The Front (1976).

Originally posted by Chris Knipp
    Never heard of the Huppert Russian project. I find her much better in French, though.

The Flood aka Novodneniye (according to Imdb) turned out to be a major discovery. The film, or at least the version shown in the Sundance Channel, is in French. The director, the source novel, and the whole cast and crew are Russian. But my wife and I agreed that the two Russian actors that have major roles are definitely speaking French, with minor characters probably dubbed (expertly). Great cinematography by DP Vladimir Pankov, who lensed Kira Muratova's masterpiece THE ASTHENIC SYNDROME. Excellent perf by Huppert who's playing the type of role she likes. She's a woman driven to madness by repressed jealousy and sexual neglect.

Yearly lists of best or favorite films released in a given year are never set in stone because even the most diligent filmgoers living in big film markets miss a good movie when it plays in theatres (and because second viewings can change one's opinion of a film's merit). This is particularly true of foreign films because they tend to have shorter runs and because many titles play only in NYC and LA. So here are two additions to my foreign-language list of favorites officially released in 2005. I had to wait for the dvd release of L'Intrus (The Intruder) to have access to it. The second film finally opened at a theatre here two weeks ago.

L'Intrus written and directed by Claire Denis. Link to a discussion of the film bet. C. Knipp and myself.
    The Weeping Meadow by Theo Angelopoulos. Link to a review by wpqx of this first part of a trilogy about 20th Century Greek history depicted by using the conventions of classic Greek tragedy.

Updated Favorite Foreign-language Films of 2005

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234