Thread: Chopper (2000).

Chopper (2000).

I was just wondering if many people in the US (I assume that's where most of you are from) have seen Andrew Dominik's Chopper (2000).

It chronicles certain episodes in the life of an Australian criminal, Mark Brandon Read (played by the soon-to-be-Incredibly-Hulkish Eric Bana), who happens to be a bit of a cult hero in Australia at the moment.

I've heard that it did a quiet bit of business in the US, playing the art-house circuit and some film festivals.

If anyone has seen it, I'd be interested to know what you thought of it.

Chopper

I have certainly seen it - and what a movie it is - violent (it makes Reservoir Dogs look like a walk in the park at times) funny and - well that's about it violent and funny. The 1st half hour is almost unwatchable at times. The nastiness just goes on and on. However after the 1st half hour, the humour starts - which is nice.

Unfortunately, I am also Australian - so I guess I should not have replied (technically) but yes, Bana was a champ in this one and it is a must see for all film buffs for mine.

Not only an Australia, but one in Canberra as well.

What a coincidence.

Yes - "What a co-incidence!" as Bill Hunter's character said in "Muriel's Wedding"

I know the internet is great and all that, but might it not be easier if we just went to the Tuggeranong Footy club and discussed the highs and lows of Chopper's and Bana's respective careers over a few VBs?

I'm joking of course. It's a small world indeed.

As an Australian, what did you make of Romper Stomper? I thought it was an uncompromising film. No-one was converted from their racism for no real reason - ("American History X" style) and the skin heads were depicted with no sympathy at all. I particularly liked thr touch of Hando and the lads being depicted as Western Bulldog (nee Footscray) fans- but put off when it seemed to be only reduced to a love triangle at the end.

Any thoughts?

I think that Romper Stomper had more of a documentary aspect. That it set out to dispel notions that Australia was the 'land of opportunity' by showing the underbelly of society. That these things were actually happening in spite of what everyone believed. It sort of lost its way when it got around to actually introducing a plot i.e. the love triangle.

And because it was more documentary, it steered away from the moral preaching that American History X had. I doubt whether American film-makers would be able to get away with as much as Romper Stomper did without being branded as 'promoting racism'.

By the way, it's good to see another Aussie on this site.

Ok, I'm from Southern California...

I went to Australia for most of the month of March and had a totally incredible trip. Being a big film buff, I watched as much Aussie cinema as I could before I went. I saw Chopper and liked it quite a bit, but like Romper Stomper not the most feel good movies.

While in Melbourne, I went to the cinema and saw Rabbit-Proof Fence which sits at #1 on my Top Ten for 2002. It hasn't been released here in the US yet, so no one here has seen it. How 'bout you blokes? Whadidya think?

Other good Aussie movies I've seen in the last year:
    The Castle (I stopped in Bonnie Doon for a photo op on my way to Mansfield), The Dish, Walkabout, Mad Max 1&2, Gallipoli, Lantana, and probably a couple more I'm not thinking of. Oh yeah...The Man from Snowy River...I went horseback riding for 3 days where it was filmed.

If you're interested or bored, you can read the story of my trip with a handful of pictures on my website:
    My Australia Trip

I have a couple other movies that I haven't gotten to yet:
    The Last Wave and Picnic at Hanging Rock

Any other recommendations for good Aussie movies I might be able to get ahold of here in the US...I need something to tide me over til my next trip!!

G'Day Mates!

Australian films

SinjinSB
    Don't want U2 think that I'm so nationalistic as to think Aussie filsm are the best in the world - but there area few gems..

Since you ask my favourites would include "Mueiel's Wedding" and "Love Serenade"

"The Boys" (which was based on a particularly nasty crime in Sydney in '86) was a very good film - no real violence - but the atmosphere of the film was unnerving

PS - For what it's worth, Reservoir Dogs and Raising Arizona would be about my favourite films - America (as always) does the best and worst of everything

Thanks for the tips Russ. I haven't been let down by Aussie movies yet. But I have a theory. It's most likely only the good movie that I'll be exposed to here in the US, because they're not going to import the bad ones. I do have to guess every country that makes movies makes good and bad ones. If this holds true, I'm glad for the Pacific Ocean buffer zone, as I see enough bad movies here...haha!

Thanks again, I'll keep my eye out for the movies you mention. The Boys sounds interesting, not sure if it's available here.