Originally posted by Chris Knipp
Thanks for putting that up. It seems to show a considerable influence from the NYFF selections for this year; either that, or the great minds of this group of critics and the NYFF just happen to think very much alike. Besides your choices, more are on my annual 2006 best lists -- 2,3,5, 27 and 35. And other NYFF official selections -- significant overlap since there are only 24 of those -- are 7,9,11,12,17,20, and 33. I also liked some of the brief reviews that came with this Film Comment article, particularly Jason Lee's of Brokeback Mountain.
Only a select few from the group (ex. Kent Jones and Lisa Schwarzbaum) are also part of NYFF selection committee, proving that they obviously selected some great films for the fest last year. If I remember correctly, you didn't exactly love Tristram Shandy, Tale of Cinema, and Through the Forest.

Anyway, I'm glad that The Death of Mr. Lazarescu has a distributor. The word "masterpiece" has often been utilized in its reviews. However, it's not encouraging to have good indie films like Police Beat and Mutual Appreciation on the list. I hope that in the future these sort of efforts will be distributed ahead of the likes of 5x2, Yes, Dear Frankie, Ma Mère, etc.