Thread: Go For Zucker! (Alles auf Zucker!) (2005) (Germany)

Go For Zucker! (Alles auf Zucker!) (2005) (Germany)

Director: Dani Levy
    Cast: Henry Hübchen, Hannelore Elsner, Udo Samel, Golda Tencer, Steffen Groth

Since it will be screened in New York next week, I decide to post my review. However, I have watched the film some time ago, so forgive me for a terse writeup ... maybe "A" can recall more ... hee hee

In German Film Awards 2005, it garnered many awards, incl. Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Costume Design, Best Film Score, and Best Screenplay.

The official website
    http://www.zucker-derfilm.de/

It tells of two estranged brothers (of opposite personalities and beliefs) who are awkwardly reunited by their mother's death ... and they could only claim the inheritance if they reconcile and bury her in a true Jewish funeral ...

My thoughts ...
    -- While I find the film "interesting", I have always found films with "racial" or "religious" jokes difficult to make
    (i) because such films always tread on very dangerous line between what is "comical" and what is "offensive" ... what is deemed appropriate to someone may surpass the tolerance threshold of another ...
    (ii) more importantly, a lot of "humor" and "context" is lost in translation ... much more so in this film ... probably Germans and Jews can relate more ...
    -- The acting/expressions are often exaggerated and typical of stereotypes and caricatures ... hmmm, forgiveable if it sells itself as a comedy?!
    -- Was it just an inheritance in the end? ... Without giving away the ending, I thought it was good and thought provoking ...

Conclusion:
    To be real honest, I think Germans and Jews can better appreciate the jokes and satire more than I can. Go watch and decide for yourself!
    ;)

I don't like Denby much but the The New Yorker crit reflects my feelings when he writes:
    "I was moved by the thought that Jews have achieved a kind of Germanness again, and even more moved by the thought that Germans have achieved a kind of Jewishness again".
    I like the fact that the movie exists more than the actual movie, which is cute and funny enough and boasts a convincing performance by Henry Hubchen in the title role.

hi
    i am glad that you have watched it ...
    so, did you like the humor?

with all the recent media events,
    the world shld realize that the line between humor and offensive is often very thin ...
    see
    http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/show...&threadid=1671