Thread: Dark Water (2005)

Dark Water (2005)

Jennifer Connelly and John C. Reilly under the direction of Walter Salles have created one of the most eerie and emotionally, intellectually creepy movie of 2005. Using a gorgeous palette of colors along with background music and sound effects as well as a strong script, this psychological-supernatural thriller avoids the typical contemporary horror genre and goes for the most sophisticated and cinematically superior quality of true film technique and performance to bring the audience to the emotional terror that literally oozes from the movie. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the original Japanese version so I can't say it compares from its source material as a movie or novel.

I agree with a lot of what you've said (particularly with your comments on its visual aspect), but it seemed like the film ultimately cornered itself because it didn't develop a strong enough correlation early on between its protagonist and her past. And so the third act, if there was one, wasn't very satisfying.

Anyway, here's my post on the film. I have seen the Japanese version; if you feel so strongly about this film then you might want to check it out.

reply to arsaib4

I agree that the somewhat loose and brief connection of Jennifer Connelly's character and the past. I can see where the impact of the past and the ending could have been much tighter and cleaner. It will be interesting to see how the Japanese version handled this point.