Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dragon

Red Dragon

I saw Red Dragon opening night on an IMAX screen.

My thoughts?

-I couldn't take my eyes off of Emily Watson, for one

-After letting my opinion stew over the weekend, I feel that this flick is one of the best films of the year- largely due to the acting. The story is good, but the characters are what made it for me.

-Did I mention I couldn't take my eyes off of Emily Watson?

- Will discuss further, if anyone is interested.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

This is interesting.... We'll have to consider a forum for it. Ive heard such a wide range of opinions on this one and havent seen it myself. Sounds like the makings of a good discussion. So the premise is that this film takes place before Silence of the Lambs? Is this an artificial construct or the actual sequence from a book series of some kind?

There are nearly 900 messages so far on Yahoo discussing Red Dragon and probably fifty of them are mine. Unfortunately, I am one of the pro-Manhunter supporters who can't support your assessment of Red Dragon because Michael Mann directed a much more involving movie based on the same book back in 1987. I have so many reasons why Red Dragon isn't that well developed that I can't list all of them here. But if you care to pick out any scene from the movie that you liked, I can probably tell you why Manhunter starring CSI star William Peterson was better.

The following is the address for the Yahoo message board for Red Dragon (hope it works):

http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action...172484&mid=847

I liked Red Dragon, but I feel Manhunter is the better movie.

Red Dragon (2002) - *** (out of 4)
    A good, but unnecessary remake. Manhunter was already a really good movie. I just figure they wanted to cash in on the popularity of the series. That being said, they did a pretty good job retelling the story. They rounded up some quality actors...Edward Norton, Harvey Keitel, and Anthony Hopkins. They all did a fine job, but not their best performances by a long shot. It's good and different enough to make it worth seeing, but you should definitely see the superior Manhunter as well.

Where were you SinjinSB when I needed you on Yahoo?

I've been hanging out on the IMDB message boards...Just got invited to check out this site an hour or two ago. Haven't been to Yahoo yet...probably a good thing...I'm having a hard time keeping up as it is...haha!

Sorry guys, amazingly FORGOT about making a Red Dragon forum. Is it after the fact or should we put one up? hmmm... Let me know if theres still interest in having one....

P

I wouldn't recommend creating a Red Dragon/Manhunter forum on this website because it would fragment the great dialogue already underway over at Yahoo. This website site is actually so well organized and the best movie site around that I would think it should be restricted to serious film commenters who know their stuff. I'm pretty awed by the talent that has visited this site whereas the popular audience has found its home elsewhere. This rarified atmosphere of quality discussion is going well with the more independent, cognitive movies that you have posted here without having to broaden it to everything.

Youre probably right. Dont want to confuse the board. And definitely dont want to stifle the great dialogue we have here. Thanks for the input!

P

I'm unfamiliar with "Manhunter". I guess I'll have to see it , eh, Tabuno?

If you decide to see Manhunter, it is better not to compare it to the novel upon which it was adapted, but to experience it as a stand alone event. There is a lot of controversy about how Manhunter doesn't do justice to the source material which in turn distracts attention away from the movie itself. The movie can stand alone on its own merits using ideas and concepts first brought up in the book. Also, depending on when you were born, a number of critics have had problems with the "dated" music.

dvcine Guest

Red on Imax?

Hello - I'm curious how and why 'Red Dragon' was shown on an Imax screen - the aspect-ratio is different, most importantly, and it seems odd that an Imax theater, with their impeccable standards of cleanliness, etc, would be showing mainstream movies...Just curious where (and why!) this took place...
    As far as the movie goes, it was good - I was surprised at Ralph Finnes' excellent performance, and Emily Watson was good too...I did think she acted a bit 'numb', sort of a mild simpleton, but only at times, at other moments she was very convincing as a blind person.
    I saw the movie a second time, snuck in after another movie's showing, and that's always a good way to judge a movie - it held up pretty well on 2nd viewing too.
    Did you know the 'Amélie' role was originally intended for Emily Watson ? She turned it down due to the long shoot schedule away from home - but maybe that turned out better after all, since it's now impossible to imagine anyone else than Audrey Tatou in the role of Amélie Poulin!

Joan Allen's portrayal of Reba was consistent throughout her performance in Manhunter. Her role was stronger and her relationship with Dolarhyde was given much more quality time which made the movie much more intense because of the humanity it brought to Dolarhyde, unlike other two-dimensional characters seen in murder mystery movies.

Imaximum effect

Red Dragon on IMAX? Oh yes.. It wasn't shown on the entire screen- just the width. The film was shot in 70mm I think, which allows the film to be projected on such a large screen. Amazing impact when seen this way- I saw Spiderman & LOTR on the same screen. I'm lucky I live in a city that has such luxuries...
    Last edited by Johann; 10-15-2003 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast