Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Fighter- good TV

I've been reading the "comments" on all kinds of MMA websites about Anderson Silva's broken leg and the fight itself between him & Weidman.

Thousands of people are calling the fight a fluke, just like the first bout was a "fluke" win for Weidman.
    Let me shut those Jokers up.
    The only "fluke" was the injury itself- the way Silva's leg snapped like a twig- THAT was a fluke.
    The check was not.
    Watch the fucking replay. The check was technique, a technique that Weidman says he TRAINED for to fight Silva again.
    He even gave a name to that technique: "THE DESTRUCTION"- it's when you aim your knee at the kick coming at you to hit bone on bone- it makes fighters stop kicking you. Weidman only had to lift his knee a couple inches because that kick was low.
    That move was technical, and it worked. TOO WELL.
    The "fluke" was Silva's ankle breaking like an eggshell and bending like rubber. THAT was the fluke. No one has ever seen that. Not in MMA.

All these excuse makers for Silva will not give Chris Weidman his due.
    The guy is undefeated. Yes he's new, Yes he still has to prove his staying power, but Sweet Jesus, he DOMINATED the Best UFC fighter ever.
    Quit crying in your cornflakes, Silva fans, and face Reality.
    It was time for the Brazillian to pack it in.
    A third match might see Silva KILLED in the octagon.
    And we don't want to see that nastiness, do we?
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

UFC 169 on February 1st will be great to see.

Frank Mir's career is on the line when he faces Alistair Overeem, a fighter who ended the UFC career of one of my fave fighters: Brock Lesnar.
    Overeem suffered a knockout in his last fight against Travis Browne, who is an absolute BEAST. Browne just annihilated Josh Barnett (another Beast who destroyed Frank Mir previously) with a series of vicious elbows in UFC 168.

The fighters today are animals. And I think Frank Mir is WAY out of his depth. He's been slapped around and defeated soundly and roundly in his last 3 fights, and a loss to Overeem will send him into retirement. (Hopefully!- Mir is like a fly..he keeps buzzing around and being annoying).
    I will be watching UFC 169 Live. Can't miss it. I can't miss the opportunity to see Frank Mir get destroyed again. Hopefully he will take the hint and retire if he's beaten again. I think he has to win against Overeem or Dana White will say Mir is no longer able to fight in the UFC anymore.
    You need to win to have a career in the UFC.
    3 strikes and you're Out seems to be a good UFC rule.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-09-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Frank Mir got beat *pathetically* by Alistair Overeem at UFC 169.
    The fight was a total bore.

Mir has lost 4 fights in a row.
    And he's still in the UFC. WTF is going on???
    I guess their talent pool is thinner than I thought.
    Mir should be shitcanned from the UFC.
    Don't even give him a microphone. I hate listening to him talk.
    Last edited by Johann; 06-09-2014 at 07:20 AM.

I highly recommend buying UFC 100 on DVD. I have several UFC events on DVD and UFC 100 is my favorite.
    I realize many MMA fans would not consider UFC 100 to be all that great or historic. The reason it's my favorite is simply because Frank Mir (and Michael Bisping) ran their mouths a lot when they really shouldn't have and got their bell rung. Mir Especially.
    He talked so much trash, so much smack, it was unreal. The first match Mir had with Brock Lesnar is reviewed in detail in the bonus features, including commentary from both fighters as they watch a replay of the fight.
    Mir claims he "Already has a win on him (Lesnar), how's it going to look if you get beat a second time? Where does that put you?"
    Brock: Did he really come up with this stuff? ha ha. Look at his face in that fight. It looks like hamburger hill. I gave him that kneebar. And he knows that.The christmas present was handed out. I'm a Champion wrestler. He's a pretty boy Karate Kid. I have zero respect for him.

I really like Brock's quote when he gets back to the dressing room after winning the fight with a Knockout, with tons of punches to Mir's soft head:
    8 MONTHS OF LISTENING TO THAT DUMPSTER TALK TRASH! *unwraps tape from hands* "You're looking at the right Champion".

Brock owned Mir during this fight. In the first round Mir ate huge fist after huge fist. Brock had him in what Joe Rogan called "a neck crank", on the mat, and kept wrenching his head back and forth, delivering huge shots to the face. Mir's head was trapped in Brock's strong grip. Nowhere to go. The bell saved Mir, but his face looked very swollen indeed. The second round began with Mir smiling, but that smile would be wiped clean off his arrogant face in a very short time. This was a revenge match, because Frank is clearly not a better athlete than Brock Lesnar. No way Jose. Granted, Brock may love beating people up more than actually "fighting", Mir totally deserved to be beat up like he was. I love some good smack talk, some great trash talk, who doesn't? But Mir was really stretching the truth in his interviews/promos. He was saying shit he could never back up, like "I was never a big fan of the weight training thing, I'm sure he lifts more weights than me- if it was an arm wrestling match I'd be in trouble, you know?" When immediately after getting demolished here in UFC 100 he starts to hit the gym and hit the weights. He packed on so much muscle and poundage after that fight with Brock it was ridiculous. He obviously felt that Brock being much physically stronger than him was something he had to compensate for. Nowadays he just lumbers around the octagon, a punching bag to whomever fighter he faces. It's sad.
    I read on one of the MMA blogs that Mir might be the first UFC fighter to sue the organization for brain damage, that's how desperate Frank is.
    I could see that. Frank is greedy enough. He said before he mainly fights for the money. It must've hurt to only get 10% of the money Brock got for UFC 100, eh Frank? Brock brought home the bacon. If you want to earn money as a UFC fighter, then you have to win fights. You have to be a Champion. I'm so tired of the talk about "The Old Frank Mir", and how he's just waiting to come back and dominate the Heavyweight division again. Bullshit. It'll never happen. I'm telling you, Frank should hang up his gloves and take a job as a color commentator. I wouldn't be saying this if he demolished Alistair Overeem. But he didn't. He got beat bad. I hear now he's on a "break" from the UFC. We'll see who Dana White has him fight next. He's gotta start winning or just pack it in. And I say pack it in. Don't even bother putting on the gloves Frank. You don't want severe brain damage. Cain Velasquez would send you to the hospital. He's a Beast.

UFC 100 has great preliminary fights too. Jon "Bones" Jones, Alan Belcher, Stephan Bonnar, etc.
    Georges St-Pierre schools Thiago Alves in the octagon. Georges was all over him like white on rice.
    Thiago wanted it bad, but he was just outclassed.
    And Dan Henderson shut up Michael Bisping with a brutal right hand knockout punch. Bisping looked dead- he was out for like, a minute cold.
    Dan Henderson is a fighter you have to tip your hat to. The guy has beaten some of the biggest names in MMA: Fedor, Rampage, etc.
    Henderson & Bisping had just competed as coaches on the Ultimate Fighter (USA Vs. U.K.), and this fight was the co-Main Event of the evening.
    Brutal knockout by Hendo. And the pounce punch right after...wowza. No wonder Bisping was out cold.

As I say, my main enjoyment of this DVD set is not just the fights. It's the Main Event. It was total ownership by Brock Lesnar of Frank Mir.
    I never get tired of watching it. It is so sweet, with Brock getting in Frank's bloodied face right after: "TALK ALL THE SHIT YOU WANT NOW!"
    Which garnered him some boos from the crowd. The fact is, Frank Mir isn't all that talented as a fighter. If he was, he would've beat Brock easily the second time around, and you wouldn't have me here enjoying it and savouring it. LOL

Pack it in Frank. You Suck. Make money as a Commentator. You love to hear yourself talk, so do the right thing and pack it in.
    Last edited by Johann; 08-12-2014 at 12:57 PM.

I have UFC 129 on DVD, and I recommend it to buy.
    It documents the biggest UFC event in it's history, held at the Skydome in Toronto in April 2011.

The main event was Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields, and that fight was interesting. In my opinion nothing happened until the final round.
    Joe Rogan says Shields was "bewildered" in the octagon in the early rounds, but I don't think that was quite it. I think Shields was just reacting to Georges style in a way that helped him in later rounds. If this sport had no time limits or round limits then Jake would have eventually knocked Georges out. You can say that's bull, but watch the final round. Georges' left eye was almost shut- he couldn't see out of it and it was bothering him huge. Another round and Georges would have been in serious trouble. Jake did not do enough (in the time allowed) to finish Georges, and after the fight Georges had to admit that Jakes' stand-up and striking were way better than he had imagined. Jake held his own against St-Pierre, he went the distance with him and could've finished him if had a round or two more. Jake wasn't so much "bewildered" in the early rounds so much as he was adjusting to the style and type of fighter that Georges is. It wasn't a particularly exciting fight, no amazing displays, but it was very interesting to me. It never went to the ground, which is where Georges dominates anyone and everyone. Georges is a supremely well-rounded guy, truly fearsome as an opponent, but Jake Shields revealed that you can beat Georges if you stick to a strong plan of attack (and have the luck of Georges deciding to stand up and trade blows with you). Some may say that Jake was just trying to survive, but that's bullshit. Look closer if you think he was just trying to survive. Jake inflicted some damage to Georges face. He was in a fight.
    That said, 3 years later and Jake Shields is nowhere to be found. His contract was dropped by the UFC. Dana White said he was "just another guy in the welterweight division. His stand up never improved. We look at everything when considering a fighter, including money, and Jake Shields was just another guy in the division. What is he truly going to do with the animals in this division?"
    So Jake Shields is just a guy who almost beat Georges St-Pierre. That's his legacy. Yawn. What happened Jake? No desire anymore to be a Champion?

UFC 129 also has one of my favorite MMA matches ever on the card: Lyoto Machida vs. Randy Couture.

What Machida did here was the best thing on the whole program: send Randy Couture into permanent retirement. With a karate Kid kick to the kisser, knocking out Randy and his purdy white teeth.
    I have never liked Randy Couture or his style of fighting. He seemed to always just want to wear you down with bear hugs and wrestling, usually pinning you against the cage. He had a lot of sucess with that "style" but I never respected that style one inch. Same with Brazilian Ju-Jitsu- I do not like that style of fighting for a win. It seems very cowardly to lean on submissions for victory. I can't really respect a fighter who uses everything in his arsenal to beat a guy but then resorts to desperate submissions because he has no other way of beating his opponent (FRANK MIR!) Submissions do not have a higher value than a knockout to me. Submissions are necessary and I would never say "no submissions!" in MMA, I just don't like the fact that it gives lesser fighters (Frank Mir) something to brag about, when the evidence shows they were outclassed and not as good a fighter as their opponent. I've seen it countless times where a quick submission that comes out of nowhere secures a victory for a guy who otherwise would've been destroyed. Brock Lesnar is a better athlete and fighter than Frank Mir yet Mir claimed a victory in their first fight because Mir was dropped, ragdolled and pounded like hamburger until he realized he was in deep shit and went for that kneebar and got it.

Watch the fight. Mir was desperate in that octagon. He was getting pummeled in the fetal position after Brock dropped him with a shot to the face. I still say Mir will eventually sue the UFC for brain damage. He's not making good money anymore for his fights and he will get desperate.
    Just as desperate out of the ring as he was in it against Lesnar. I hate his guts. No one more arrogant or stupid in MMA than Frank Mir to me.
    A useless human being who thinks his "mark on the world" is way bigger than it really is. You are (and were) nothing but a blowhard punching bag Frank. Pack it in. You're done. I said you were done before, but you don't listen. Practise what you preach Frank! You said Nogeira was "not done", that it was like "cooking a meal". HA HA HA!! So how do you describe the match at UFC 100? You said "no matter what happens, UFC 100 will be my day". LOL It sure was. Your eyes looked like two pissholes in the snow after Brock punched your jew-fro head into the canvas.

"This ain't the WWE!" Frank. But you'd never know, because you wouldn't stick your soul into that furnace. Brock stuck his soul in your game, why don't you stick yours in his? He defeated the Undertaker at Wrestlemania this year! LOL Broke that Illustrious "Streak". Never been doen before in wrestling history! I know it's "fake", but you do fake Frank. You said there is "no deceit" in the octagon. Oh Yes there is....it's you. Deceit is in the octagon when you step into it Frank. Because I happen to know you like to try to pretend you are hurt in there, to fool your opponents into a submission.

You are a Snake, Frank Mir.
    I have zero respect for you and neither should anyone else.

I'd like to add that UFC 129 has a great fight between Jose Aldo and Mark Hominick- it may be better than the St-Pierre/Shields bout.
    The fight goes the distance, and Hominick was clearly outclassed but showed amazing heart. In the 4th round he was hit with an elbow by Aldo that caused the most disturbing hematoma in MMA history. I thought the fight was over at that point. It looked like Hominick had another head, as Joe Rogan said. It was a nasty hematoma. But the doctor checked Mark out, said he was good to go, Mark said he was good to go, so the fight went on.
    It's crazy- you watch it.

Can't wait to see the next UFC event with My Man Lyoto Machida Vs. Chris Weidman- two fighters I really like. I won't even guess who will win.
    Both guys have the chops to do the other in.

I recommend Ultimate Knockouts 9 to buy as a DVD. Some really incredible knockouts on that disc.
    Cain Velasquez Vs. Brock Lesnar is one; Brock got the living crap beaten out of him, in the same fashion that he beat Frank Mir. It was wild to watch.
    Brock is/was one of my favorite fighters, but he got a serious beating by Cain. The folks who hate Brock? Here's your fight. LOL

Joe Stevenson getting knocked out by Mac Danzig was good, and one of the best knockouts was the Marine Corps Captain Brian Stann laying an absolute dominant beat-down on "Rooster DOO" Chris Leben. As Joe rogan said: "WHAT A STATEMENT THAT MAN MADE!!!" Hell yeah. Stann actually asked to fight Leben in his first fight- watch it and be amazed. I got a stack of new UFC DVD's and I'll post more about them soon. I am hooked on the UFC. Best Sport in the World!

UFC 113: Machida Vs. Shogun 2

UFC 113 from May 2010 is a pretty good DVD to buy, with My Man Lyoto Machida taking on Shogun Rua for the second time. Each man was trying to definitively win the second match, as their first ended in controversy. 11 bouts in this set, including Paul Daley vs. Josh Koscheck (a suspension occurs in this match) and Matt Mitrione Vs. (joke fighter) Kimbo Slice.
    Recommended DVD.

UFC 135: Jones Vs. Rampage

This event from Sept. 2011 is quite good. Josh Koscheck vs. Matt Hughes is a co-main event and I like how it ended.
    Jon Jones dominated Rampage here, and I feel that Rampage may have thrown the fight just for the money. After the fight in the press conference he only had one thing on his mind and he told the press so: "(I don't care if I got beat)- I made a lot of money".
    In the octagon after the fight Rampage also said "I'm glad I didn't get hurt too bad". ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    Dana White must've perked his ears up over that nonsense. Rampage said he was the "Best Rampage Ever" in the octagon when he fought Jones. Right. Then why do you look better in other fights I've seen, Quinton???
    You looked better against Chuck Liddell. You looked better vs. Rashad Evans! Against Jones you looked like you were standing still!

UFC 135 has a better main card than the prelim fights. I love Nate Diaz' performance against Takanori Gomi and the Travis Browne fight vs. Rob Broughton was interesting to me. The prelims have a truly terrible fight between Junior Assuncao and Eddie Yagin. Skip that one. The crowd booed during most of the fight, and it was well-deserved.

Ultimate Knockouts 9 has over 32 fights on the DVD, and I loved about 10 of them:
    Rich Frankllin vs. Chuck Liddell
    Carlos Condit vs. Dan Hardy- what a BEAUTIFUL ending to a trash-talking goof!
    BJ Penn vs. Matt Hughes- the 22 second KO from Heaven!
    Mark Hominick's domination of George Roop- sweet!
    Cain Vs. Brock- WOW.
    Mac Danzig super-stoked over his KO on Joe Stevenson- very nice.
    Brad Tavares unreal upset over Phil Baroni
    Mike Russo's astounding KO of Todd Duffee- Joe Rogan said it was the craziest thing he's seen in over 1000 fights!
    Last edited by Johann; 07-07-2014 at 10:34 AM.

UFC 111 is another excellent 2-DVD set from Anchor Bay. I highly recommend it.

Frank Mir gets demolished by Shane Carwin before the first round is over, as Brock Lesnar predicted. Shane got the interim belt, but interim championship belts are "fake belts", as Brock said also. "Interim" means "meanwhile the real Champ is getting in top form for the title fight".
    This was the card that led to Brock vs. Carwin (which Brock won by submission), and to this day Frank Mir is still floundering around somewhere, getting ready to be the next punching bag to whomever. (For Money).

UFC is the best sport in the world.
    Tell the Mayor.
    Last edited by Johann; 08-12-2014 at 12:55 PM.

UFC 111's Main Event is Georges St.-Pierre vs. Dan Hardy (a British trash-talking goof who has never impressed me).
    The fight went the full 5 rounds, with Georges doing the same thing he always does, taking his opponent down every time, and wrestling with him until he gets a decision. *YAWN*
    When was the last time St.Pierre dazzled us in the octagon? Yeah, you're an awesome fighter Georges. But I'm getting immensely bored with you.
    You don't pump me up! And why do you wear that Japanese headband all the time? You're from Quebec, right? What are you doing with the rising sun on your forehead then?
    Same thing with Frank Mir. He's got all kinds of revolting tattoos with Asian characters- does he think he's an Asian fighter?
    Is he trying to be a mystical or samurai or something? LOL
    He's not. He just lumbers around the octagon, not doing anything remotely "martial art-like".

I also have been scrutinizing UFC 168, the glorious show where Chris Weidman broke Anderson Silva's leg like a twig.
    Anderson is the most disrespectful fighter in the history of the UFC. He deserved to get his leg broken. I even feel he deserved WORSE.
    That first fight was so pathetic to watch. Silva was mocking Weidman the whole time. Then Chris knocked his dumb Brazillian ass out.
    It was glorious.
    The re-match was even more glorious. This time Silva wasn't clowning around anymore. He just got really angry when Chris landed a sweet body kick.
    You can see Anderson kick him back harder than he's ever thrown a kick before, in anger at being kicked. Chris checks the kick, and the career is over. Bye Bye Anderson Silva. You made a fortune, you and your grandkids can play videogames at home for the rest of your lives. :)
    Last edited by Johann; 08-12-2014 at 12:55 PM.

I have a couple Pride DVD's as well, and that organization is where a lot of fighters who ended up in the UFC began or were a part of.
    Pride 31 and 32 are not bad DVD's even though the announcers/commentators are not that professional to me, and the "production" is not as polished athe UFC is. The fights are pretty interesting, tho.

Butterbean! (Who doesn't love Butterbean?)
    Fedor! One the best of all time.
    Shogun Rua, Rampage Jackson, Kevin Randleman, Josh Barnett, Alaistair Overeem- all household names now, are on these cards.
    Check 'em out. It's ropes, no octagon.

Chris Weidman won a decision against My Man Lyoto Machida.
    You can't say Weidman sucks anymore. He beat Anderson Silva (twice) and beat Lyoto Machida.
    You have a CAREER in the UFC if you can beat those two fighters.
    They are the two best fighters the UFC has ever had, in my opinion. It's the "Weidman Era" right now!

UFC 166

An absolutely essential event to own if you are a UFC fan. This was the Epic third fight between Junior dos Santos and Cain Velasquez.
    The 2-DVD set includes the first two fights between Cain and Junior (a very nice bonus).
    It showed just how much of a beast Cain Velasquez is, if you had no clue before. As Joe Rogan likes to point out, Cain's work ethic and cardio is SUPERHUMAN. Apparently he outworks everybody in the gym, and trains with Daniel Cormier, an undefeated fighter who impresses me immensely. (Who also beat tool Frank Mir, so I love him anyways :)

Cain beat the snot out of Junior here, to retain his belt, and to definitively lay claim to who is the Best Heavyweight in the UFC.
    It's unreal how Cain takes Junior apart over 5 rounds. To beat up Junior dos Santos you have to be a fucking animal. PERIOD.

UFC 169

More can be said about UFC 169. I watched it again and I find it worth checking out. I studied the Overeem/Mir bout and it was a rout, as Joe Rogan correctly assessed. Mir was annihilated, actually, not merely beat pathetically.
    Alistair Overeem put on a clinic with Mir.
    In the Countdown program Alistair said he was gonna KO Mir, which I feel he could have done in the first round easily. Instead, The Reem decided to just toy with Mir, and systematically beat him to a pulp. The "ground strikes landed" statistic was shown at 1 minute and 35 seconds left in the third round, and it read like this:
    MIR: 3
    OVEREEM: 111

Yeah. It was a rout.
    Mir cannot compete anymore in my opinion. He landed 3 ground strikes on Overeem and nothing else in the whole fight. Outclassed? SHIT....
    Overeem played with him like a cat with dead mouse.

If you may be wondering why I'm not posting about the UFC much anymore, it's because I'm disgusted with the organization after info has come out that they allow their fighters to fight while doped up on performance enhancing drugs. Anderson Silva has fought Nick Diaz recently, after having his leg broken by Chris Weidman (astounding! but not that astounding- Silva was on steroids!).
    Diaz also tested positive for marijuana use. WTF is the UFC doing? These two were found guilty before the fight!

This all smells a little too mafia-esque, a little too Vince McMahon, a little too Don King for my liking, and until I see some serious changes to drug testing in the UFC, I don't buy a single DVD or watch another fight. This kind of thing DESTROYS companies, so you'd better get your act together, Fertittas & Dana White....It's so disappointing I'm ashamed to say I watch UFC now. And that SUX.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast