Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: San Francisco International Film Festival 2006 (20/4 - 4/5)

Apparently you are referring to the IMDb User Comment by "lvp_2087 from Philippines" of The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros? That is half in gibberish, but not any of the others.

It's a nice little film. It seemed to me more valuable for the way it shows an openly gay young man well integrated into his family rather than for the qualities of the filmmaking, which were a bit rough. I can't link you to my review because I didn't write one.

Dennis Lim wrote a nice short review for The Village Voice (September 2006; but Moximo Oliveros is 2005):
    This year's Cavite undertakes a hectic tour of the dire squatter camps and garbage mountains on the outskirts of Manila; now comes a somewhat more buoyant portrait of Filipino slum life, further evidence of a mini renaissance in the country's long dormant cinema. Twelve-year-old Maximo (Nathan Lopez) is an incongruous vision of lipsticked, hip-swiveling fabulousness. Treating shantytown back alleys as pageant catwalks, the kid is pure flaming flamboyance: a boldly conspicuous outsider in the gritty 'hood. Maxi plays doting mother hen to his family of petty-crook tough guys; his father and brothers, in turn, are not only tolerant but touchingly protective. All is improbably well, until the youngster's undisguised attraction to a hunky cop (JR Valentin) sparks tensions at home. The slide into crime melodrama isn't as persuasive as the film's realist textures, or for that matter its clear-eyed depiction of coming-of-age emotions. In much the same fashion as Gregg Araki's Mysterious Skin, Auraeus Solito's feature debut confronts the taboo of pre-teen sexuality with a startling mix of openness and sensitivity. No less than precocious Maxi, the film is alarming, endearing, and utterly unflappable.

Good review by Lim. What brings the film down a notch for me is what Lim calls the less than persuasive "slide into crime melodrama". Solito is apparently a serious film buff. Or, was the fact that the excellent ending scene seems lifted from The Third Man pure coincidence? Film is now available on dvd but the transfer is very poor in quality and only extra is two trailers for other films (shame on you TLA Releasing).

Waht took it down a peg for me was simply that it all seemed a bit rough and amateurish, though better things may come with better budgets, and I did like the basic theme.

New sfiff 2006 review links index

My 49th SFIFF 2006 Festival Coverage Thread reviews on Filmleaf now have an updated link index. The original thread where all these reviews (except Travis Kirby's) are begins here. Two films I watched with Travis, Ying Liang's Taking Father Home and Pascale Breton's Illumiination, were reviewed by him. I have added links to my reviews on other threads of Le Petit Lieutenant, Gabrielle, The Sun, and Regular Lovers, outstanding films of SFIFF 2006 that I had seen and reviewed in NYC earlier at the 2005 NYFF and the 2006 Rende-Vous with French Cinema. These four are all happily on US DVD's and highly recommended.

But too of the most memorable of the SFIFF 2006 films from Latin America, Alicia Scherson's Play (Chile) and Ricardo Benet's News from Afar/Noticias lejanas (Mexico), are not available on DVD.

Brothers of the Head is on Netflix on DVD and Instant Play. I find that Fernando E. Solanas' Dignity of the Nobodies is on YouTube, the entire film in one video in Spanish without subtitles. Of course Factotum, Iraq in Fragments, and Half Nelson, which got US distribution and more or less publicity, are on DVD, also Carlos Saura's Iberia is because his musical/dance series is well known, ditto Tsai Ming-liang's Waward Cloud; Romance and Cigarettes is on DVD too. But I don't know how many of the other titles are available in the US on DVD.

Here is the index (it's also at the beginning of the original thread):

SFIFF 2006: LINKED INDEX TO REVIEWS
    All About Love (Daniel Yu 2005)
    Betrayal, The (Philippe Faucon 2005)
    Beyond the Call (Adrian Belic 2006)
    Brothers of the Head (Keith Fulton, Lous Pepe 2005)
    Cycling Chronicles: Landscapes the Boy Saw (Koji Wakamatsu 2005)
    Dignitiy of the Nobodies (Fernando E. Solanas 2005)
    Factotum (Bent Hamer 2005)
    Favela Rising (Jeff Zimbalist, Matt Mochary 2005)
    Gabrielle (Patrice Chéreau 2005)
    Half Nelson (Ryan Fleck 2006)
    Iberia (Carlos Saura 2005)
    Illumination (Pascale Breton 2005)
    Iraq in Fragments (John Longley 2005)
    Life I Want, The (Giuseppe Piccioni 2004)
    News from Afar (Ricardo Benet 2004)
    Northeast (Juan Diego Solanas 2005)
    One Long Winter Without Fire (Greg Zglinski 2004)
    Perfect Couple, A (Nobuhiro Suwa 2005)
    Petit Lieutenant, Le (Xavier Beauvois 2005)
    Play (Alicia Scherson 2005)
    Regular Lovers (Philippe Garrel 2005)
    Romance and Cigarettes (John Turturro 2005)
    Sa-Kwa (Kang Yi-Kwan 2005)
    See You in Space (Ég veled! József Pacskovszky 2005)
    Shooting Under Fire (Sacha Mirzoeff, Bettina Borgfeld 2005)
    Sun, The (Alexandr Sokurov 2004)
    Taking Father Home (Ming Liang 2005)
    Underground Game (Roberto Gervitz 2005)
    Wayward Cloud (Tsai Ming-liang 2005)
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 11-12-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123