Keane is the latest film written and directed by New Yorker Lodge Kerrigan, whose credits include Clean, Shaven and Claire Nolan: two very good films released in the 1990s, basically characters studies of individuals with fractured psyches. That description fits the new film which is absolutely magnificent. Perhaps Kerrigan's best because of how well mystery and suspense elements are incorporated into psychological portraiture. Keane is anchored by a meticulous performance by Damian Lewis in the titular role. Lewis is British, a veteran of the Royal Shakespeare Company. He did a magnificent job playing an American on the TV series Band of Brothers (Golden Globe nomination). Reportedly crew and cast members did not believe he was British.

Keane had a limited release in theatres last September and the reviews were very good. Few people got to see it though (no mention whatsoever at this site). The film was released on dvd last month. It contains an amazing extra. An alternate cut of the film, one which runs 10 minutes shorter than the original. Unlike the theatrical cut (88 min), the alternate cut (78 min) was edited by none other than Mr. Steven Soderbergh. I like this alternate cut even more than the original and I would recommend you watch this "Soderbergh edition" first. It ups the mystery element by witholding key information about the protagonist until 25 minutes into the film.

I hope you give Keane a chance. The lack of plot information on this post is not accidental. The less you know about it the more you'll enjoy it. I would appreciate reading any opinions from members about this film.