Thread: Top list

overmind Guest

Top list

Hey,

Sometimes I'm seraching for new (or old) good movies to see that I don't know about or have forgotten about. This was the case today. So I went here, but soon realized it's gonna be hard to find something.

Wouldn't it be good to have people vote on movies so you then can search by genre (incl independent) and then see the average rating? Would be alot easier way to choose what films to read more on before you decide.

Right now I think it's a bit messy on the forum.

Just a thought...

Appreciating movies is highly subjective, as each person has his/her own preferences regarding genre, subject matter, etc. I would gladly offer a few suggestions but that would only be valuable to the extent that you reveal your preferences/predilections. IMdb has members rate films on a scale from 1 to 10. You might like that format. This smaller site is more geared towards film criticism and discussion.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 05-06-2006 at 05:33 PM.

It can be a very difficult thing to rate movies. As Oscar suggested it's incredibly subjective. Editorially, FilmLeaf could at some point make a list of "top films" but that would be a subjective list in itself and may not reflect the tastes of the membership. There are some lists worth looking at. I think AFI has a list of the their top 100 films. I know that the editors of Film Comment are putting together such a list as well. The other option for using this site in that way is to search by filmmaker's name and see what comes up. There is a lot of knowledge among ths users and such a search can generally point you in a good direction. As for recent films, you can look through the archives (link at top right of tool bar) and see which recent films were given their own discussion forum. This is also a bit subjective and by no means inclusive of all the wonderful films out there. Hope this helps.

Peter

overmind Guest
    I agree...it is subjective. Perhaps a better soultion would be that each profile thier favoruite films...and that you kept that updated.

So if you like someone's taste, you could check his profile out from time to time to get tips.

could perhaps work...

Actually, this is possible even as we speak. If you click on the "profile" link beneath a particular user's postings there is a space for them to list their favorite films. To add your favorite films to your profile, login and then click the "profile" link at the top left of the toolbar. Look forward to seeing what your favorites are!
    Peter