Quote Originally Posted by oscar jubis View Post

I finally managed to buy a dvd of ann Hui's Song of Exile. I'm very excited about watching it, as well as a Blu-ray of her highly popular film A Simple Life. I am finally going to catch up with An Hui :-)

I am also writing to hail a film I overlooked back in 1990. Adrian Lyne's JACOB'S LADDER is a must-see and maybe a great film. Anyway, Jacob's Ladder is pretty good, good enough for a spot in my Top 10 Favorite movies of 1990.
Wow, I had all but forgotten about this Film Forum and your wonderful posts Oscar. Glad to see you are still "into" cinema - so am I. I haven't seen a film by Ann Hui for a long time. Last one must have been THE POSTMODERN LIFE OF MY AUNT when it came out. Needless to say it was wonderful. My first (and so far last) Encounter with SONG OF EXILE was via the rare subtitled VHS which was for a long time the only way to see this wonderful film before filesharing and such opened up a whole new world for film lovers.

I am not familiar with the work of Adrian Lyne myself, though I do have an unseen DVD of JACOB'S LADDER sitting on my shelves for about 10 years now. I have seen one film by Lyne so far (actually in a film studies Seminar, "by accident" so to say) and found it delightful: FATAL ATTRACTION. A funny and thrilling hommage to genre cinema of yore, I found it to be a gift for cineastes. Too bad, the General public usually seems to regard it as one of those mysoginistic 80s Thrillers about "crazy" females, when it is in fact so much more. At least it seemed to me, many years ago. So I've marked Lyne as a filmmaker to watch in the back of my head but haven't had time to see some other films of his oevre so far. I'll definitely look into JACOB'S LADDER next, when I get the time.