This is the first of ten threads on 90s Cinema designed to list my favorite films of a decade that's recent enough to remember clearly and remote enough to merit reappraisal. Perhaps you would like to discuss or opine on a film from my list. Perhaps you would compile and post your own list. Any type of response is appreciated.

Of course I believe the films I list are the "best" films of the year, but the word "favorites" stresses the fact that it's one guy's opinion and that my opinion reflects who I am and what I like. My taste is rather wide-ranging though, with no particular preference for or rejection of any genre.

As it's become my practice, I split the list into two: one for films in English and one for films in a language other than English. Dates: I'm using dates of world premiere according to IMdb. This policy eliminates all kinds of complications, particularly with foreign-language films, which were likely released in the US over the course of several years. Films are listed in order of preference. Films that are not numbered are tied with the film preceding it.