Thread: Favorites Of 1996

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knipp View Post
    I just made up a list to answer someone who loves The English Patient, which my friend and I walked out of. The BS-detector goes off early on that one.
    I didn't like The English Patient either. Wonder if we'd have the same response nowadays.
    I'm surprised there's only one film from your list I did not watch. The scriptwriter died at age 33 with this being his sole film credit. You know the one I am talking about?

You haven't seen MARVIN'S ROOM. Scott McPherson died of AIDS in 1992. The film made me realize beyond the mimicry of WHAT'S EATING GILGERT GRAPE and the boldness of TOTAL ECLIPSE Leo was an actor who had the actor's perhaps higher skill, the ability to move you profoundly. I'm glad you didn't like THE ENGLISH PATIENT either! I don't know what I'd think now but nothing by Minghella impressed me, but I wouldn't have walked out of it if it hadn't been for the friend I went to see it with, and the auditorium oppressively packed with adoring fans. She still makes a practice of leaving early and prompted by her she, her husband, and I walked out midway of MY DINNER WITH ANDRE.