Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An Inconvenient Truth

Oil companies backdoor approach

How ironic that the current controversy involving this film should include the science teachers of America getting grants from a certain Texas oil company to promote the many uses of oil in energy but have them refuse the offer of FREE copies of this movie.

See current postings on http://www.huffingtonpost.com regarding this matter
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Al Gore's sincerity is probably the most compelling reason to be won over by "An Inconvenient Truth"'s persuasiveness and it's persuasive enough to be required viewing in every high school science class in America. Gore's one-man lecture with slides is fleshed out by the personal reasons he was drawn to the topic (and was probably instrumental in achieving feature length) but only occasionally does it come off--and in a subtle way--as self-serving; he takes only a couple of potshots at the Bush administration and his call to political arms stops far short of his announcing a return to the Life. But it's hard not to be aware of his refusal to call any player out, whether it be the corporations in large part responsible for polluting the atmosphere, or a country other than the U.S. (going, it seems, out of his way to praise China--China!--for such initiatives as mileage limits); these oversights provide fodder for conservatives who might accuse this film of being nothing more than grandstanding and the groundwork for a political resurgence. Perhaps his desire to have it both ways--a warrior and political sophisticate--is what attracted the Nobel committee to him in the first place.

By the way, I don't think I've ever seen a movie where the closing credits made me cry. Until now.
    Last edited by bix171; 10-28-2007 at 12:42 AM.

Good to hear from you, bix. I personally don't fault Gore for "his refusal to call any player out". His approach here is to describe the dire situation as of today and to point at possible solutions. There's plenty of film material that assigns blame (The Corporation is brilliant) and points out how countries like China contribute to the climate crisis and the desecration of the environment (China Blue, Manufactured Landscapes, etc.). I think Gore's film was fairly well-received by those "unconverted" to the idea of global warming because of his positive approach.

Closing credits that made me cry? Schindler's List and Dogville.

Good to hear from you, bix.

Thanks, Oscar. A new position at work has kept me away from film and writing about it (and I'm still finding personal time difficult to manage) but I have been keeping tabs on the posts as best I can.

Closing credits that made me cry? Schindler's List and Dogville.

I forgot "Dogville" though. Good catch. All I remember about "Schindler's List" is the coda where the film turns from black and white to color as the stones are placed on Schindler's grave. I don't recall the credit crawl but I'll take your word--and, as I was crying throughout the entire picture, I probably was hysterical then too.
    Last edited by bix171; 10-28-2007 at 08:45 PM.

It's great you keep tabs on the posts. I'm always interested in your informed opinions, so please share them whenever time permits.
    That coda at the end of Schindler's List moves me to tears every time. It's a perfect ending. If I remember accurately, the credits begin to roll midway through it.

I have to say that the global warming problem isn't fixable. Gore says there is hope, but I have to ask him: Al, you were Vice-President and you got nothing done on this "issue" (CO2 levels in the earth's atmosphere), and the worst culprit is the USA -the Nation you and Hillbilly Clinton were supposedly "Leading". Sure, you're leading the charge (I guess) on getting the word out, but don't you think it's a bit like saying "we should have negotiatied" when you were blown off the earth with a nuclear bomb.
    I've heard in online articles from reputable scientists that Gore is exaggerating the crisis of CO2 levels.

The problem isn't fixable, unless you get rid of the Illumnati and "elite" asshole goofs who created this situation.
    And we know that will never happen. Nobody has the Will.
    So kiss your grandkids goodbye. And hand them a life preserver.
    And check the actual numbers on CO2 levels and the threat that poses.
    Last edited by Johann; 11-29-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

"Global warming is a myth because I was cold today. Also, world hunger has ended because I ate a sandwich." Steven Colbert
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123