Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superman Returns in IMAX

Originally posted by mouton
    Superman stands for truth, justice and all that is good and noble. So why does he have no issue putting the moves on Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth), an apparently happily married woman with a six-year-old child? My brother would argue that nowhere does it say that Superman stands for loyalty but I’m fairly positive he’s supposed to be comparatively selfless. Whereas it makes perfect logistical sense for Lois to have moved on after Superman disappeared six years prior without a word (although, judging from the age of her son, she moved on pretty quickly), it makes for a very poor example of a couple to hope for. Lois’s husband, Richard White (James Marsden working with Singer for the first time with his eyes open), is a good man. Sure, he’s a little jealous of Superman but he’s a good father and a supporting husband and c’mon, how could you not be jealous of Superman?
    Pardon me for being so blunt, mon ami, but there are serious problems with your review. The film makes crystal-clear that Lois and Richard are NOT married, although they are cohabitating. Moreover, Superman Returns provides overwhelming evidence that Jason is Superman's son. Yes, Supe and Lois had sex before he suddenly left planet Earth. Someone could argue that the reason Lois and Richard have not married is that Lois is a modern gal who doesn't believe in marriage, so to speak. But there are scenes that hint strongly that Lois has not overcome the emotional legacy of being jilted by Supe, so she cannot fully trust a man. Or maybe, deep down, she had a feeling all along that Supe is the love of her life and that he would return.
    Last edited by oscar jubis; 07-18-2006 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks.

Apparently, i have difficulties catching things that are crystal clear sometimes. Your criticism helped my piece. I would fire my editor if I had one.
    I have no idea what I'm doing but incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm.
    - Woody Allen

I took it as a rare lapse on your part. I wonder if subsequent films will follow the comics story line in which Lois and Superman get married.

Originally posted by oscar jubis
    I took it as a rare lapse on your part. I wonder if subsequent films will follow the comics story line in which Lois and Superman get married.
    Never mention that blasphemy again. Superman hasn't been good in the comics for a long time, in my opinion.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

Don't f*** with the reason

Singer carefully crafted the reason for his return, "the world is crying out for a savior." If you start to muddle that succinct message up with more than just implied romance, then the plot gets too convoluted. Hence, when the comic books involved characters other than Superguy woven too deeply into the plot, they lost interest in droves. Saviors don't get married... they stay clean and pure, lonely figures, whose lapse of celibacy is tainted only with rumor.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12