Speaking of stuffers I actually bought the DVD recently, mostly because I wanted to see why they should be nominating Streep with Hathaway in most of the scenes and carrying the film. It comes down to the scene in Paris... the true mark of a great actor is how they set the tone and mood of a scene with an expression, a tilt of the head, a glance, a breath, a pause... they know the tools of their trade and how to use them. Streep isn't just an actor, she is a masterpiece, a work of art, a national treasure, and the greatest screen actor of this or any generation.

"I don't give a damn what anyone writes about me," she says with such determination in her voice. Then she throws her head back and laments how the 'twins' will take the criticism, when actually they could probably care less. She is the one wounded but cannot admit it, especially in front of a lacky. For all her emotion, crying, and dispair, she is still more concerned about the seating arrangement at tomorrow night's dinner than her marriage. Streep takes us in and allows us to see the inside of Miranda, all with this one memorable scene.

Later when she says the line about "...they all want to become us!" just before she steps from the limousine into a crowd of flash-popping photographers, nails home her indifference to anyone or anything but herself. The small amount of humanity she allowed us to see in Paris is gone, replaced by her need to be the center of attention. The very thought becomes the motivation for Andy to turn away from this world of facades and rejoin her true passion, news journalism. The ultimate irony being when Miranda indeed shows compassion by her recommendation.

How a little humanity goes a long way should be the moral of many stories.