Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My top 10 movies

jacobic216 Guest

My top 10 movies

I often go over my list of top 50 movies but rarely find anyone who's interested. I've always wanted to rant and rave about my top 10 so hear goes:

10) Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

All of my other films are classified by trilogy or saga. However, this one only has the one out so far. I can't get enough of it. Fantasy films have been taken to a whole new level. I read the books just a year before this film came out. I fell in love then and now that I've seen it I'm an addict. This film is as faithful to the books as I've ever seen. I often don't appreciate adaptations from novels unless they are spectacular or faithful and this is both

9) The Shawshank Redemption

I had a hard time wanting to see this film. It was 8 years ago and I did catch it in the theater but I was like, "Who want's to see another dull prison movie?" I ate my words and still do. This movie is one of the few that makes me choked up every time I sit down to watch it. With Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump the same year, it still blows them away as far as I'm concerned. Not only is it touching and inspirational, it shows a human quality that is little seen in films, especially in prison films.

8) Goodfellas

By far one of the most fun movies ever. I'd even consider it a dark comedy. Much of the film is a saterical look at the life of a gangster. The inane chatter of Franky Carbone, the stereotypes throughout ("I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers") and even Moray's death, for those of you with a sick sense of humor like me, all of this make me crack up every time. Asside from thinking it's funny, it never has a dull moment and the action is always fun. Don't forget to look for Samuel L Jackson in one of his many cameo apperiences (True Romance, Coming To America).

7) The Usual Suspects

I was already a fan of Kevin Spacey before this film came out (The Ref, Glengarry Glen Ross). I wanted to see it for the whole cast. I thought, well it's another action film but it'll be fun. I was taken by storm. I saw it opening weekend and like to humor myself that I did my part to make this film popular. I told everyone to see it and have yet to spoil a thing. So you know there's a catch, that's the genius of it. It's one of the few movies I can say I've seen too many times to not catch everything and still I haven't. It's my favorite film noir and the most intriguing script I've ever seen put on screen.

6) Star Wars Saga

I am an obscene Star Wars junkie. I go to the premieres, collect the collectables and know all the characters, even the ones hidden way in the background. Star Wars has defined a generation and still inspires me when I watch them. When people anywhere mention The Force, we don't think of the police force. We think of Star Wars. When I mention the Saga, I am talking specifically about the original three. I like these new ones (yes, I even like The Phantom Menace) but I don't think that any of them are as good as any of the original ones. In order of preference, they go V, IV, VI, II, I. While we Star Wars fans bitch and moan when something is not the way we wanted it in these new ones, I just tell them it's not ours, it's Uncle George's. We go see it for his vision of historical space mayham and that's what we should expect. Still, all of these new movies are illustrating the tail of the rise and fall of Darth Vader and to me that's what it's all about. No villan can compare to the shear evil and malace that comes with Lord Vader. I still get chills when he boards the rebel ship with Princess Leia, out of the fog, breathing and making even the corpses tremble.

5) Blazing Saddles

Absolutely the best slapstick comedy ever made. Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder and Clevon Little make this comedy so funny and yet so rediculous it has to be good. If ever there is a movie that you should never take seriously, this is it. I mean, who ever heard of a black sheriff? Classic moments are brought to life in this masterpiece of film comedy. From Lilly Von Schtup and the La Pedome Throughway to the Gucci saddle and the Waco Kid, never does scene go by without leaving me in stitches.

4) Brazil

Definitely the most bizarre film I've ever seen. I bought the Criterion Edition of this film on DVD and have seen scenes that were not ment to be seen. Watching the film and the world around our main character, Sam, unravel into his own dream world is one thing. There are tons of extra scenes in this edition that make it even more difficult to comprehend. If you are squemish, don't try to comprehend it. Just watch it once and go get yourself a good stiff drink. Make it a double. This film is so complex that if you understand it the first or even second time you see it, you should be put away. That's what makes it so great. It is contravercial and it's funny. Look for it in the comedy section of your video stores. This was before everyone realized Robert DeNiro was really a funny actor but he is a riot in it. Terry Gilliam also is a master film maker. This is his greatest work and a tribute to everything he does. I think he's one of the best directors around today.

3) The Godfather Trilogy

What can I say about this? All three films are spectacular. Only Lord of the Rings can come close to being the great masterpiece of an epic saga that this is. Right now, it seems impossible to beat. When I break down my favorites with out combining sequals, Godfather parts I and II are always in my top 5, with only Brazil between them. I have come to favor part II because it shows more creative freedom on the part of Coppola. This stunning work embrases all the ideals of classic film making. I see them on TV all the time now and can barely ever turn the channel away. The life and times of the Coreleone family as depicted on screen is the most spectacular rendition of organized crime, struggling to salvage a family and just all around good entertainment.

2) Schindler's List

The only movie I can never get through without crying. It happens every time. I feel that this movie touches me so deeply and is the most powerful drama of all time. Spielberg outdid himself especially with the touch of reality at the end. I recently visited Oscar Schindler's tree on the Avenue of the Righteous in Yad Vashem, Jerusalem and almost broke down then. But it's more than a tearjerker. It reminds us that we should never forget the travisty of the holocaust so that it will never happen again. I even think that Liam Neeson should have won the Oscar in 1993 instead of Tom Hanks for Philadelphia. His performance, Ben Kingsley and Ralph Fiennes, the music, the cinematography and every little detail about this film was immaculate. While the subject matter is difficult, the film is flawless. The film is perfect in showing how Schindler was one of histories latest greatest heroes.

1) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

What is funnier than the end of the world? Well, probably everything until you see this film. Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece shows how more than simple miscalculations have to happen for a nuclear holocaust to occur, someone has to be mad, someone trigger happy and the rest of us have to try to stop it or save what life we can. This movie is my favorite because tragedy like this can even be funny. Just watch it and see. Peter Sellers soars as a reluctant British officer trying to get the nukes back to the base, The President of the United States frantically trying to avoid any loss of life and the creator of The Doomsday Machine, Dr. Strangelove. After watching Slim Pickens ride the nuke as if it were a mechanical bull, I knew this was what it was all about. Getting away with stunts like that are risks that the great filmmakers take and the greatest get away with. Movies don't get better than this!!!

Some of my other favorites are:

The Great Escape
    Being John Malkovich
    Citizen Kane
    A Clockwork Orange
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    Fargo
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
    The Blues Brothers
    Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory
    Young Frankenstein
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    The Fisher King
    Mulholland Drive
    Pulp Fiction

Thanks for reading. I enjoyed talking about my favorites. We should do this more often. There are tons more I'd love to talk about but I just don't have the time right now.

Adam

I recently made a top ten of all-time list for my website, here's what I wrote:

I decided to try and break out a top ten from my 4 star Movie Page. It wasn't too hard to choose the movies with the exception of the 10 slot. There are at least 3 or 4 others that I like as much, but I had to be cut throat. And here they are! My 10 favorite movies! I'm not going to write my little reviews here now, I'll wait til I watch them the next time. Unfortunately 3 of them still aren't available on DVD! I have included a few words regarding their ranking in my top ten.

1) American Graffiti (1973)
    Until this very moment (Aug 11, 2002 - 11am), I wasn't willing to choose between American Graffiti and Star Wars. But I have done it. American Graffiti is officially my favorite movie!

2) Star Wars (1977)
    It was a tough choice. For most of my life I have always claimed Star Wars as my favorite movie. I was in awe when my Grandma took me to see it at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre in 1977. I remember wishing we had more time to look at the footprints outside, but we just had time for a quick look. I doubt it has diminished at all over the years, it's just that now I have seen American Graffiti. For quite awhile now I've claimed them to be a tie, but I wanted to make a choice and American Graffiti has won out. I'm sure I will always mention in the same breath that Star Wars is an extremely close second.

3) The Godfather (1972)
    A lot of critics lump Godfather II with the original. I don't understand this. We don't lump Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back together. I see no difference. They are both part of a series that drops off after the second. Many often claim the second movie to be better. I give all 4 movies my highest ratings, but only the originals show up in my top ten. I think it's just a chicken shit cop out by critics and I've never understood it.

4) The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo) (1966)
    I was really happy to find out this movie is critically acclaimed. I've been watching it since I was a little kid(usually with my Dad) and it's always been a favorite. When I first started really looking into reviews in college, I was pleasantly surprised to see all the favorable reviews of my favorite childhood western.

5) Rear Window (1954)
    Another thing that frustrated me with critics' top tens. They are only willing to list one Hitchcock movie, claiming that several could be in the top ten. You'll notice that I only have one Hitchcock movie here. And I give 7 of his movies the ranking of 4 stars. But I can honestly say, only Rear Window belongs in my top ten. Though when choosing my #10 movie, North by Northwest was in the running, but I didn't avoid it because I already had a Hitchcock movie. I chose Stand by Me because when comparing them in my head, I honestly preferred it.

6) Jaws (1975)
    Just like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, I was pleasantly surprised at the critical acclaim that Jaws receives. I still probably rank it higher than most. I know the shark isn't very realistic. But the best moments are when you don't see the shark...you know he's there! I still remember the first time I saw this movie in the Drive-In and I like it just as much today!

7) Platoon (1986)
    I didn't see this movie until it was on video and boy was I surprised. I have seen a lot of good war movies, but this one stands out among them all. Like most of these movies, I've watched it many times and every time it envokes the same emotions just as strongly as the first time I watched it.

8) Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    I guess this movie has fallen the farthest over the years. Not that number 8 is bad or that I like it any less than I did when I first saw it in 1981. Just that I remember when I first started making lists, I think I had it ranked #2. It's been a long time since I've seen it, so maybe it has a chance to climb back up if it ever comes out on DVD! I never seem to break out my old laserdiscs any more.

9) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
    This is the movie I have seen the least on this list, only twice. Again, not available on DVD yet. Come on guys, you're killing me! I have never been disappointed by a Bogart movie and this one tops the list of greats. There are two others on my 4 star list and several others that are close.

10) Stand by Me (1986)
    This is probably the most contraversial movie on my list. I realize that I may very well be the number one fan of this movie. Most people seem to like well enough, but a top ten of all time...c'mon! Well, here it is...in my top ten! To be fair, there were 3-4 others that I seemingly liked as much and had a tough time choosing my #10 movie.

For a list of of the 28 movies that I give 4 Stars (my highest ranking), click here

As to jacobic216 list, while I don't agree with some of the movies listed, it's pretty difficult to fault your overall selection. You've listed some great movies. I'm not a "Star Wars" fan, preferring "Alien" instead. But I'm really glad to see "Brazil" on your list. And your other favorites are littered with movie gems. Any thoughts about "Dr. Zhivago" as a good historical, epic movie about relationships? You seem to have a good sense of quality movie making.

My Favorites

1. Seven Samurai
    2. Lawrence of Arabia
    3. The Third Man
    4. Braveheart
    4. Yojimbo
    5. The Conversation
    6. Jaws
    7. Star Wars (original 77 cut)
    8. Fellowship of the Ring
    9. Singin' in the Rain
    10. Schindler's List
    11.Miller's Crossing

I also love Bunuel's "Death in The Garden"

"Come and See" a russian film about the partisan struggle

"Dr. Zhivago"

"The Hidden Fortress" Kurosawa

"Ran" Kurosawa

"The Wages of Fear"/ "Sorcerer" I like both versions

"Bob Le Flambuer"

"Le Samouri"

"The Searchers" John Ford and John Wayne at their best

"North by Northwest"

"Scrooge" The 1970 Albert Finney musical version

"The Omega man"

"Dawn of the Dead"

"It's a wonderful Life"

"High Noon"

I like all your picks jacobic216!! Aren't movies great?
    Last edited by stevetseitz; 10-17-2002 at 09:10 PM.

I'll try a tentative list of top ten movies:

1. Picnic at Hanging Rock
    2. Manhunter
    3. Nomads
    4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    5. Dr. Zhivago
    6. Alien
    7. Carnival of Souls (Original 1962 Version)
    8. Mulholland Drive (2002)
    9. THX-1138
    10. Brazil

The Thing (remake by John Carpenter) - Most intense effect on me personally.

Originally posted by tabuno
    I'll try a tentative list of top ten movies:

1. Picnic at Hanging Rock
    2. Manhunter
    3. Nomads
    4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
    5. Dr. Zhivago
    6. Alien
    7. Carnival of Souls (Original 1962 Version)
    8. Mulholland Drive (2002)
    9. THX-1138
    10. Brazil

The Thing (remake by John Carpenter) - Most intense effect on me personally.
    Nice choices...glad to see Picnic at Hanging Rock on top. I have it on DVD, but haven't seen it yet...something to look forward to. I must admit, I'm not a David Lynch fan...so I haven't seen Mullholland Drive.

Muholland Drive isn't for many people. It's confusing, creepy, and strange just what one would expect from David Lynch. I don't know if I can recommend it to someone who doesn't like David Lynch. Of course, Twin Peaks was pretty popular for a lot of people.

Originally posted by tabuno
    Muholland Drive isn't for many people. It's confusing, creepy, and strange just what one would expect from David Lynch. I don't know if I can recommend it to someone who doesn't like David Lynch. Of course, Twin Peaks was pretty popular for a lot of people.
    No worries. I know when something's not for me. I saw Blue Velvet after much recommendation and didn't like it. Then I tried again with Wild at Heart and actually stopped the movie in the middle, something I rarely do. Just not for me, that's all.

I'm glad to see that Carnival of Souls

made someone's list. Extremely atmospheric and creepy! I liked "Blue Velvet", "The Elephant Man", "Eraserhead", and "The Straight Story" but "Mulholland Drive" didn't grab me (except "The Cowboy" he reminded me of a Stephen King character from "The Stand" . I enjoyed "Lost Highway" so maybe my expectations were too high. Still most David Lynch films are worth seeing.

I also like "John Carpenter's The Thing" but I still prefer Howard Hawkes original.

On another subject: re: Hitchcock's best 1. "North by Northwest" 2. "Vertigo" 3. The 39 Steps 4. Rear Window 5. Pyscho 6. Sabotuer 7. Rebecca

jacobic216 Guest
    I've come to love David Lynch. I do know why people don't like him and I won't push anyone into him. He's an acquired taste. Mulholland Drive is probably the most "David Lynch" of all of his movies. It's definitely my favorite of his but if your not a fan, I doubt you'd enjoy watching it.

For all the fans of him out there, check out his earlier works like Eraserhead and Elephant Man. Eraserhead is one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen.

jacobic216 Guest

Hitchcock

Nice Hitchcock list, by the way. My favorite of his is Psycho but they are all terrific.

Psycho broke a new barrier when it portrayed an average guy with a hidden past - the intensity and the astonishing ending was a breakthrough, one that really has probably been equaled since, but never excelled or exceeded. It was a watermark in horror movies as well as other movie genres.

Wilbur Guest
    1) JAWS (1975) - I first saw Jaws at the cinema in 1977 when I was 9. It was my favourite film then and despite the hundreds of films I've seen since nothing can come near it.

2) ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST (1975) - despite winning all 5 major Oscars, I think this is generally under-rated by the critics. The only film which can seriously rival Jaws.

3) RAN (1985) - I was a bit disappointed with The Seven Samurai, but Ran is utterly superb in every area. It ranks as No 1 in loads of categories - foreign film, war film, historical film, Epic film, Shakespeare adaptation, best battle scene etc, etc.

4) BADLANDS (1973) - everythings low-key and simple but the overall effect knocked me out. One of those films where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts - superb music and cinematography - career best performances by the two leads.

5) AMERICAN BEAUTY (1999) - what a film. I was expecting some dumb comedy about a mid-life crisis - instead it was a film which can rank alongside any classic of the last 100 years. Kevin Spacey - what an actor.

6) WEST SIDE STORY (1961)
    7) THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)
    8) APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)
    9) SEVEN (1995)
    10) PSYCHO (1960)

Bubbling under - Citizen Kane; Alien: Barton Fink; Frankenstein(1931); Rumble Fish; Twelve Angry Men.

Oops forgot one of my favorites

Has anyone else seen "Prime Cut" with Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman? It's a great film which may or may not be available on video at this time. It's a very seedy and hard-boiled mob picture with good performances. Also Sissy Spacek's debut film, I believe.

Singinchica2004 Guest

My top 10 Fave

The following are just some of my favorite films to watch

10. The Godfather I- Fabulous movie, watched it with my Dad and still quote lines from it.

9. Silence of the Lambs- My first horror movie which I watched alone, at night, in the dark.

8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail- Know almost every line in this whole movie! Lots of laughs.

7. When Harry Met Sally- Classic Romance/comedy with the adorable Meg Ryan, and the ROTFLOL Billy Crystal.

6. The Haunting (1963)- Yet another great scary movie, without any blood, gore, or ghosts.

5. Seven Brides For Seven Brothers- Great Musical with classic actors, Howard Keel, Jane Powell.

4. Gone With The Wind- Wonderful movie, wonderful novel, great cast.

3. Sense and Sensibility- I liked it better than the book, and Alan Rickman made me cry he was so amazing!

2. A&E's Pride and Prejudce- Wonderful version of the novel, by far the movie most true to the book that I've seen.

1. West Side Story- Greatest Musical of All time, wonderful cast, dances, songs, etc. Alll around a great film!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast